Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Plus Size?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 12:45 AM
  • 24 Replies

I'm curious, what size is considered "plus size"? Is it a certain specific size or is it just anything over the average?

LilySlim - (rv99)
LilySlim - (qSGd)

by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 12:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JanuaryBaby06
by Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 2:02 AM
1 mom liked this

i consider over 16 to be plus size.

CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:27 AM

I believe most stores consider a 14 or higher plus size.

If you walk into Lane Bryant, their clothes start at 14...and it's a plus size only store.

itsm3
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

depends on your height.  i'm 5'4 so "plus size" is size 8 or above. 

cad1972
by Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I used to hear the 12 was considered plus size but now I think the industry has changed 14 to plus size but I heard on the news that 14 is now the new average whereas 12 used to be the average. 

But I agree with the above post it depends on your hieght. I am 5'1" so being that I am short prob size 6 is plus size and I am size 18/20 and 220lbs! I am down from 240lbs, work in progress! Hoping to loose 75-80 but I am going at it 20lbs at a time as to not overwhelm myself or get discouranged.

Analeigh2012
by Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this
It is by combination of height and various measurements. In clothes making it is typically considered size 14 and above - for all heights. Scary that some people think size 6 or 8 is! There is a standardized chart and I found it easily on Ask.com. But I would never advocate for someone to focus on a size - clothing manufacturers are so vastly different.

http://fashion.about.com/blpluschart.htm
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I agree with the above comments...probably 14 and above is plus size, but we are all different!

atlmom2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Depends. Have to remember that 30 years ago a size 8 is a 3 now. They want everyone to think they are smaller. They are not. Size 12 can be overweight or obese.
If you are 4 10 to 5 ft 2 you are plus size at 12, maybe an 8 even. My dd is 4 ft 10. She would be overweight if she had on a 3. And obese at an 8. She is a 00. Someone 6 ft tall is not overweight in a 12.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
little_mama83
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

To me "plus size" is just about clothing and it starts at size 14, or XL for modeling they use size 8's as "plus size models" but keep in mind that they use size 0 or 00 (XS or XXS) for average size clothes models, it's just a weird industry thing. Size 0 is far from average. As long as you're healthy and happy with the way you look it shouldn't matter what size you are. I don't think "plus size" really has a place to be used outside of the clothing industry.

HappyGirl77
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I think this is a VERY subjective question.  What I consider plus sized for myself is NOT plus-sized for the general female population :) If you cannot shop in stores like Gap, Old Navy, etc, or you have to get the largest sizes there (14 or 16 maybe??) and have to shop at Lany Bryant, I think that is plus-sized for the general population.  If you are asking what is plus-sized for each of us as an individual person, for myself, I consider that to be a size 8 (well, I should say I am uncomfortable with myself at that size and don't feel my best)

othermom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I think it depends on the person not just the size

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)