Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Mirena and weight gain?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:39 PM
  • 9 Replies

Poll

Question: Has anyone experienced weight gain while on Mirena?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 13

View Results

I got mirena in January and have gained weight, it just keeps coming on. Idk what to do. I don't want to blame the mirena but I have been working out like crazy lately and drinking only water, my food intake consists of mostly good calories. I feel like maybe I should have it taken out, has anyone else had this problem?

by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mkmommy0406
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Yup! I gained about 25 lbs after getting it! I kept it for 4 years
cowgirls10181
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:47 PM
I havent had any gain, or loss. Had it for 18 months. I worked out for a good solid 2 weeks and then injored my knee! So wanna workout but hurts to even walk. Dr said it will heal with time.
SuperKristy
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:03 PM

I think I am going to have it taken out, I'm not sexually active anyway.  I just hope the weight will drop after it does.

MamaKarrot
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I lost 50lbs with it in.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I blew up 15 pounds in the first three months, all water retention. No change in eating habit or activity level. The same thing happened to me with the ortho evra patch after I had my daughter. I lost a ton of weight very quickly then went on the patch after my 6 week check up. I immediately put 15 pounds back on and couldn't lose it for two years, (on the patch). We were mulling around with the idea of having another so I quit the patch and from that alone 20 pounds just melted off with no effort. 

This is me in May 2011, one week after insertion:

This is me in September 2011, 4 months after insertion, like I said NO CHANGES IN LIFESTYLE:

See how much puffier I look? That was all Mirena. 

garnet83
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Yes. And dropped 12 lbs in a week, with no effort, after getting it out.

aprilsalcro
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Yes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drochellex0
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:11 AM

When I was on the mirena I gained so much weight.. the damn thing drained me. I will never get it again. I had mine removed + have never felt better!!!

CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:06 PM
I gained about 20 pounds while I had Mirena in. But I can't say that Mirena is to blame--I ate everyhing in sight. Once I got my head on straight, I proceeded to lose that 20, plus another 80.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)