• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doc won't let me weight lift for a week! *Graphic pics*

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:15 PM
  • 18 Replies

So I cut the skin and fatty tissue off my 1st knuckle, all the way down to the tendon, but thankfully didn't cut the tendon. Now I can't weight lift or horseback ride for a whole week, which is a huge monkey wrench in my weight loss plan. Any ideas on what I can do until then?

I caught my knuckle on my mandolin while slicing cucumbers. 

The doc fixed me right up tho.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ballerina18
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:19 PM

OWW! That looks like it really hurts. Can you put any weight on your hand?

Mrs.Torres2566
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Yeah, just can't bend my finger or put pressure on it. Doc is afraid it will break open the clot and I will start bleeding again.

Quoting ballerina18:

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:30 PM

OUCH!

I'll be honest, I wouldn't let it keep me from horseback riding (then again, I've been known to ride with a broken wrist).  Let it heal for 2 or 3 days then put a splint on it and wrap it.  I don't use my middle finger to hold reins anyway...I'll use either the index finger (western) or ring fingers (English).

You can still walk/jog, run in place, run stairs, squats, etc.

ballerina18
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Yikes!

Well, this is a good opportunity to work on your lower body, core, and abs. Cardio should be okay (running, eliptical, ect..), elbow planks, crunches, and pilates workouts should all be good options.

I actually was searching youtube for a quick, decent pilates workout and I found This Workout

Hopefully you will heal quickly!

Quoting Mrs.Torres2566:

Yeah, just can't bend my finger or put pressure on it. Doc is afraid it will break open the clot and I will start bleeding again.

Quoting ballerina18:

CLEKate
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Why would no exercise be a huge monkey wrench in your weight loss plans?  Weight loss is 80+% diet related.  Focus on that for the next couple of weeks.

mellienium
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 1:56 PM

stick to a good diet.

as for exercise, work on your lower body and core, plus cardio.  i personally have a love/hate relationship with the stair master hahaha!  goodluck, hope your finger heals quickly.

Stefanie83
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 3:04 PM

omgosh I was terrified of mandolins before I saw this!  I hope it heals up fast!  I'd just focus on eating healthy and do body weight stuff, if possible. body weight squats, lunges

Mrs.Torres2566
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:36 PM

I am going out to look at my possible new horse, Gus, on Saturday. I am about 90% sure I am getting him. He is a 12 yr old appaloosa gelding, about 15.3 hh. 

I have to ride with my right hand since I broke my left wrist years ago while barrel racing. I think the doc was more worried about me putting weight on my hand while mounting and dismounting. Although I can try to use a mounting block since it is all leg than. Who knows.

Quoting michiganmom116:

OUCH!

I'll be honest, I wouldn't let it keep me from horseback riding (then again, I've been known to ride with a broken wrist).  Let it heal for 2 or 3 days then put a splint on it and wrap it.  I don't use my middle finger to hold reins anyway...I'll use either the index finger (western) or ring fingers (English).

You can still walk/jog, run in place, run stairs, squats, etc.

Love060708kids
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Ouchies!!!  That's all I got...OWWW

3Xthelove
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Hope it heals quick!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)