Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Soreness

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:40 PM
  • 13 Replies
I'm incredibly overweight & out of shape. I'm making teensy little steps in hope of getting healthy. I know exercise is part of it, so I think walking is my starting point. I've went on two walks this week. Monday & today. My shins are sore. Is this normal? Are there any stretches to help? Speaking of stretches, are there any good videos on the web of how to stretch? I just bend here & there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I'm sure you can look on Youtube for stretches- or just do a search for them, and make sure to stretch after the walk

cj123573
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't remember where I learned this...but if you lay down, put your achilles on a board (or something that allows your foot full rotational movement), then spell the alphabet with your big toe in the air (just using your foot/toe, not your whole leg, while propped), it helps stretch out shin splints. 

mellienium
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 2:01 PM

this helps!  i used to get horrible shin splints when i ran.

you can also train it by walking around your house with your toes up in the air.

if you are "incredibly overweight" like what you said, it might be more beneficial for you to do your walking in a pool.  it's less stress on your joints but you still get an amazing workout.

Quoting cj123573:

I can't remember where I learned this...but if you lay down, put your achilles on a board (or something that allows your foot full rotational movement), then spell the alphabet with your big toe in the air (just using your foot/toe, not your whole leg, while propped), it helps stretch out shin splints. 

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Getting ready & going to a pool is far too much work + costs money. I like being able to walk out the front door & come right back home.

I'm 5'3" & 267# (I started at 274), so I am incredibly overweight & out of shape, but I can still walk.

Quoting mellienium:

this helps!  i used to get horrible shin splints when i ran.

you can also train it by walking around your house with your toes up in the air.

if you are "incredibly overweight" like what you said, it might be more beneficial for you to do your walking in a pool.  it's less stress on your joints but you still get an amazing workout.

Quoting cj123573:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 2:06 PM
I never thought about stretching after.

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

I'm sure you can look on Youtube for stretches- or just do a search for them, and make sure to stretch after the walk

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Do I have to lay down? Could I sit in my chair & put my leg over the ottoman?

Quoting cj123573:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lillybug222:

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

you should stretch when the muscles are warm- we always stretch at the END of Zumba class

ballerina18
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

Quoting lillybug222:

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

you should stretch when the muscles are warm- we always stretch at the END of Zumba class

YES!

You should only stretch at the end of a workout. OP, look up dynamic stretching vs. static stretching. You should always do static stretching at the end of a workout.

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 2:33 PM
So, you start working out without stretching?

Quoting ballerina18:

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

Quoting lillybug222:

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

YES!

You should only stretch at the end of a workout. OP, look up dynamic stretching vs. static stretching. You should always do static stretching at the end of a workout.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ballerina18
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

You should always begin your workout with a warm up that includes dynamic stretching. A good example of a nice warm up is jogging in place for ~2 minutes. This will warm up your muscles and prepare them for the dynamic stretching.

Here is a little info on dynamic stretching

I hope that makes sense/helps!

Quoting lillybug222:

So, you start working out without stretching
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)