Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Need help getting & staying motivated!! A LITTLE UPDATE :)

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM
  • 39 Replies
1 mom liked this

I haven't weighed myself in over a month and I'm actually scared to bc I am pretty sure I have probably put back on 20lbs! :( a little over a month ago I was doing so good working out almost every day, eating right, and drinking nothing but water. But then we moved to a different town and since I haven't done anything! No working out, hardly any water at all, and definetly not eating like I was. I do this all the time. I get going and I do well for a month or two and then slowly but surly start to slip and before I know it I'm not doing anything good for me and hating myself and what I see in the mirror. How do you ladies stay motivated? What are some of your tricks to keep you going? Thanks ladies! 

Just a little update.....First of all.....I was close about the 20 lbs! I finally got on the scale and I put back on 15 lbs :(:( so starting Monday I will be getting up when DF gets up for work, having a little breakfast and getting a workout in before the kids even get up! I am ready! I will do this! I will not look back! I will do it!! Thank you to all for the awesome advice and kind words!!♥

by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kristy95
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm in the same boat. I was doing so good!
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:11 AM
2 moms liked this

I have done that SO many times.  Honestly, until you get to that place where you have fully decided you ARE going to do this and NOTHING will stop you...it's not gonna stick.  

What helped me keep going though this time, was that I mad small goals that I could reach every day/ every week and once I had a bit of a streak going, I didn't want to break it -so I kept going. I just made the goals bigger as I went. I started with moving at least 15 min a day EVERY day- then it was 30 every day... now I work out 1-3 hours a day most days (but allow 1-2 days a week off now)  I also started with drinking one bottle of water a day and now I drink 3-4

unfortuately, motivation comes from YOU- YOU have to find it

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this
YOu have to find why you really want to do it, to stay motivateds. which is the biggest part of the journey I think. Now to keep myself on track with my workouts, they are the first thing i do in the morning.
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:14 AM
5 moms liked this

I think you will always struggle with stop/go weight loss until you start working on your other problems.  Doctors like to say the simple formula of "calories in vs calories burned" but the reality is deeper than that.

It sounds to me like you quit because of stress.  I have PTSD, I often struggle with motivation when I'm stressed.  Stress makes me shut down.  I want to crawl into a corner and avoid everything.  I don't want to cook, the added stress of trying to work out with DH adn children all around me makes my skin crawl.  And stress hormones make your body retain fat, since we're biologically programmed to equate stress with famines or times where our bodies needed every bit of fat to survive.

To that end, I can't stay motivated unless I address stress first and foremost.  I get up an hour before the children, see DH off to work, and meditate or do yoga.  Sometimes I'll simply read, or even indulge in a show I've been wanting to see.  THEN, after I've had some time to make peace with myself, I get on my workout.

I also use visualization.  Stress (and the cortisol produced by my PTSD) signals the body that it needs to store fat.  It's a subconcious process, and unfortunately our subconcious doesn't speak English.  We need a way to communicate with it.  I take a picture of myself when I was healthier and let my eyes look through the picture.  I meditate on it a bit and try to think calming, reassuring thoughts.  I've noticed now that when I begin to stress, the picture pops up in my head.  I immediately think "Yes, this is what I want!" and it's like my body knows.  Even with all the stress, I stopped gaining weight.  And then it slowly started coming off.  Did you know many famous "bodies" like Tyra Banks and Arnold Schwarzenegger use visualization?

I'd also encourage you to change your mindset.  Self hate is an awful thing, but it is ingrained in our society.  Start by standing in front of the mirror twice a day.  Look yourself in the eyes, and say "I accept myself unconditionally, as I am right now."  Then wait.  The first few times, thoughts will immediately pop up into your head, negative thoughts that wonder how on Earth you could believe what you just said.  But over time, you begin to create an "inner witness" that supports you, that accepts compliments and listens to you when you say good things about yourself.  

I've found the process took about 30 days for me.  Week one was hard, I felt stupid and silly and the negative thoughts were so cruel.  Week two was a little better, with the silly feeling losing potency but the negative thoughts staying the same.  Week three even my "negative side" started to slow down, asking "So you really do accept yourself?  I know you're trying to change those thighs, but you accept them NOW?"  Once I noticed that negative voice having doubts, it was easier and easier.  The more I said it, the more I believed it.  Now, I can stand in front of a mirror naked and accept myself, compliment my assets, and make sound but pain-free resolutions to improve what I think needs improving.  I can be critical without being harmful.  I can analyze without hurting.  It's incredibly liberating!

cj123573
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:27 PM
2 moms liked this

I like to set small goals and rewards. 

I also have a pinterest board with pictures, quotes, inspirational things.  I also want to do "active" vacations, so I go to REI travel and look at those pictures.  Where do I want to be/what do I want to be doing? 

My son also LOVES the childcare at the Y.  "Mommy, can we go to my gym?"  That REALLY helps me on down days.  It's really hot here so going outside to play is hard, but having an energy riddled 4 year old is harder.  So, it tires him out, gets me there and moving

randomosityblog
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Until you're ready to lose the weight, you won't. I yo-yo'd back and forth a gazillion times. This time, it's all downhill. Period. Because I won't accept anything less.

mellienium
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

i've done that a bunch of times too. don't kill yourself over it.

it's good to always have something to motivate you.  i read motivational quotes here and there.  i also like watching extreme makeover...yeah it's a little dramatic, but when i see the struggles those people go through to lose all that weight, it makes me realize that it's not going to be easy and i need to get up and get my butt going.

it's also good to have a friend you can message who will motivate you when you're feeling your lowest.  I always text my cousin and tell her i dont feel like working out, then she'll remind me of my commitment, etc and it pushes me back up.

last but certainly not least, you need to figure out why you want to lose this weight.  what motivated you the first time to stay on track for a whole month and lose those 20lbs?  keep reminding yourself of that reason so that you stay motivated.  if that reason still doesn't help you, find another reason why.  personally, my reason is i had gestational diabetes.  as statistics show, i now have a 40 - 60 percent higher chance of having type 2 diabetes.  i dont want that, i have to stay healthy for myself and i have to stay healthy for my son. 

goodluck.  if you need any motivation, just message me. i'll be glad to help =)

tannabanana
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I know that I struggled in this way as well for a long time. It is hard to make lifestyle changes. That is what losing weight is. When you fall off the wagon you have to get up and start again. You have acknowledgedtoday that you fell off and are reaching out for support. That is an awesome step! I would suggest picking a day of the week to start again. Start logging your food and working out ect. Hold your self accountable and make sure you are setting reasonable goals for your self. For me, I needed something to help me stay on track. I was introduced to ACE and it gave me the boost I needed, naturally. I was depressed and it lifted my mood as well as gave me a lot of energy to where I wanted to work out. I fully believe that people can change their life without supplements however, for me I was to depressed to do so. I am down over 30 pounds but still have a little to go yet. I would be happy to help and motivate others as it keeps me motivated. Find something that makes you feel good about your self and keep pushing forward. There is no cheating, you make the choice to treat your self, accept it and move forward. Always begin again and do not feel guilty. YOU CAN DO THIS! Remember that you are worthy. You are worth making the changes for. 

ballerina18
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I think staying motivated is something we all struggle with. Here are some things that help me:

• Looking at fitness/motivation clips on pinterest
  • Logging into this group often.
  • Having a workout routine that I stick to (I take fitness classes so the instructor helps keep me motivated)
  • Searching for new/interesting and QUICK workouts on youtube.
  • Trying to do something active w/ my family everyday
  • Not keeping junk food in the house
Scorpiomom78
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Thank you. Stress is probably part of it for me for sure. A lot of this sounds so familiar, is it from a documentary? There was one I watched recently that had a lot of this in it but I can't remember the name of it......
Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

I think you will always struggle with stop/go weight loss until you start working on your other problems.  Doctors like to say the simple formula of "calories in vs calories burned" but the reality is deeper than that.

It sounds to me like you quit because of stress.  I have PTSD, I often struggle with motivation when I'm stressed.  Stress makes me shut down.  I want to crawl into a corner and avoid everything.  I don't want to cook, the added stress of trying to work out with DH adn children all around me makes my skin crawl.  And stress hormones make your body retain fat, since we're biologically programmed to equate stress with famines or times where our bodies needed every bit of fat to survive.

To that end, I can't stay motivated unless I address stress first and foremost.  I get up an hour before the children, see DH off to work, and meditate or do yoga.  Sometimes I'll simply read, or even indulge in a show I've been wanting to see.  THEN, after I've had some time to make peace with myself, I get on my workout.

I also use visualization.  Stress (and the cortisol produced by my PTSD) signals the body that it needs to store fat.  It's a subconcious process, and unfortunately our subconcious doesn't speak English.  We need a way to communicate with it.  I take a picture of myself when I was healthier and let my eyes look through the picture.  I meditate on it a bit and try to think calming, reassuring thoughts.  I've noticed now that when I begin to stress, the picture pops up in my head.  I immediately think "Yes, this is what I want!" and it's like my body knows.  Even with all the stress, I stopped gaining weight.  And then it slowly started coming off.  Did you know many famous "bodies" like Tyra Banks and Arnold Schwarzenegger use visualization?

I'd also encourage you to change your mindset.  Self hate is an awful thing, but it is ingrained in our society.  Start by standing in front of the mirror twice a day.  Look yourself in the eyes, and say "I accept myself unconditionally, as I am right now."  Then wait.  The first few times, thoughts will immediately pop up into your head, negative thoughts that wonder how on Earth you could believe what you just said.  But over time, you begin to create an "inner witness" that supports you, that accepts compliments and listens to you when you say good things about yourself.  

I've found the process took about 30 days for me.  Week one was hard, I felt stupid and silly and the negative thoughts were so cruel.  Week two was a little better, with the silly feeling losing potency but the negative thoughts staying the same.  Week three even my "negative side" started to slow down, asking "So you really do accept yourself?  I know you're trying to change those thighs, but you accept them NOW?"  Once I noticed that negative voice having doubts, it was easier and easier.  The more I said it, the more I believed it.  Now, I can stand in front of a mirror naked and accept myself, compliment my assets, and make sound but pain-free resolutions to improve what I think needs improving.  I can be critical without being harmful.  I can analyze without hurting.  It's incredibly liberating!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN