Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smaller goals yield the best results!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:19 PM
  • 9 Replies
2 moms liked this

Time and time again I would give myself a huge goal. "By December I want to lose 50 pounds." " By July I want to lose 30 pounds." "By this time next year I want to have lost 100 pounds." And I never met those goals. I felt that if I didn't make a huge goal, that I wouldn't work very hard to meet it. But in reality, I never met them because it was too impossible of a task and I gave up halfway through.

So I started giving myself smaller goals. I told myself that by April 2014 I would lose 45 pounds, but I broke it up over the course of 9 months. Just 5 small pounds every month, that's all. I had lost over 70 pounds in the past year through eating better and exercising, but was at a plateau. I needed to lose that last 45. On July 1st I weighed 225. On August first, I weighed 219. This morning I weighed 216. I only need to lose one more pound to make my September 1st goal. 

I seriously am in awe of how much this is working. I never really thought little goals would amount to anything, but it's been way easier to tackle 5 small pounds every month instead of that big looming goal of 45 pounds, which seems damn near impossible. But whaddya know. It's working. :) 

by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mjgm1966
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I lOVE that CONCept. AND i'm SO GLAD IT'S WORKING FOR YOU! awesome!!!!!

dmwood
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 9:30 PM

The other day I was thinking that I should set smaller goals. Great advice!

Glad it is working for you. Keep it up!! 

you rock

MichelleSpann
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 9:33 PM

A pound at a time. That's what I've been telling myself over the last year and I lost almost 100 lbs. Took me a long time to ditch the big goals and work on the smaller stuff but it really does work :)

MandaMommyof2
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:19 PM
I'd love to lose 45-50ish pounds by April next year lol my little sister is getting married and I'm a bridesmaid. I think I will follow your lead. Small goals and take it one month at a time
smalltownmom03
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:37 AM
Not meeting my goals fast enough is one reason that I keep giving up. I have just started again and decided that this time I would set a goal of 2 pounds every 2 weeks. If I only meet my goal and dont exceed it it will take me forever to loose the weight. But I am hoping that with the positive reinforcement of meeting my small goals I will be able to stick with it. I also have a thermometer to color in with my ultimate weight loss goal in the front of my weight loss notebook. So that I can see how far I have come. I have hit the 10% mark. It felt really good to see that even though it is really only a few pounds. I also put a picture of me when I was at my goal weight to help try to keep me motivated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
livndaybyday
by Alicia on Aug. 18, 2013 at 6:49 AM
Great advice! I'm going to start doing that too!
hannahsmom0107
by New Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM

woohoo

Cuddlyknuckle
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Awesome and Congrats on the weight loss. I've lost 11 lbs since June 17th! I would love to be down 50 more by June of next year. That big number scares me, so we have it broken up into every 2 months loss a certain amount.

MunchiesMom324
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I know!!!  When I started, I was 194.  I said "I WANT to be down to 145 (I haven't seen that number in 10 years), but I will settle for 155 (I weighed that two years ago)" - then just focused on getting below each 5lb mark.  Hit 189?  Celebrate!  Stayed below 185 for a few days?  Go me! 

Igot frustrated because I'm kinda stuck right now, at 173.  Then I realized - HOLY COW!  I lost over 20lbs!  I wasn't even paying attention!!  LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)