Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you were taking a class at the gym and the instructor was a little over weight would you question her ability to help you?

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM
  • 15 Replies

I am going to school for personal training and I learned that you have to keep up the image since the people will believe if you can not keep up your image you will not be able to help them.  Does this sound accurate? If so what is your expectation?  For example...as long as they are in better shape than you are you will trust them?  Or can they be over weight but have a lot of muscle tone to be acceptable?  Or do you take in account that they are educated and do not go by their apperance? 

I ask because since I am going into the field, and there is pressure to look good. Your input would greatly be appreciated!

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HappyGirl77
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I am getting my personal training certificate also!  YEAH for us!!

I do believe that you/we are judged based on our outward appearance.  People will be paying us to make them look good and we need to make sure we are practicing what we are preaching.  Some jobs are more image conscious than others and this is definitely one of them.

While logically I know that instructors/ trainers can be very physically fit and have a bit of extra weight; aesthetically, we have to make sure we are 100% in line with our profession and what we are offering other people.   So...all in all...my expectation is that my personal trainer (or myself:)) would be in excellent shape...inside and out.

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Honestly, I would feel better with someone who isn't a size 2 and scary!  I mean I personally don't want to get like that- I prefer people who have a litte bit of meat on them, they look better *to me 

I guess it depends on what you define as "overweight"  

my guess though, is that a lot of people would absolutely expect someone who looks like they belong on a magazine cover or something

little_mama83
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I think if they were overweight it'd be pretty off-putting, unless I had some way of knowing that they were in worse shape at some point. I typically don't judge people by their appearance but in a situation like that I'm pretty sure I'd take notice.

kaycersmom
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I would think it matters, like I wouldn't get my hair done by someone with fugly hair lol. I don't think you need to be a specific size or anything and I think a good positive attitude matters a lot more :)

kiwimom74
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:42 PM

absolutely... when I hired a trainer I wanted someone who looked good and took great care of themselves...

years ago I attended a weight watchers meeting where the lady taking it was really overweight... to me it did nothing for my belief in her as a leader..

towerjunkie1989
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:46 PM
A little extra weight and maybe a "hi I'm ******** and I'm your personal trainer. I am commited to getting into better shape with you. Rome wasn't built in a day you know" kind of speech
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:35 PM
I see trainers and instructors as exercise experts not food/diet experts so I wouldn't take diet advice from them and wouldn't care about their weight :)
raeyliNlilysmom
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:44 PM
I would still go to somone overweight! I'd feel like they were in the same boat as me. Lol Im chunky amd, am struggling with my weight so in all honesty they would be a great inspiration to me.
AmyLynn5398
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I took a kickboxing class with a very over weight instructor ( she was tone though).  I loved her routine but I did question how effective the results would be. 

kidslovemom
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I would feel like "obviously it's not working for them" and probably use it an excuse to not go back.  I think I'm not the only one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)