Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Question about breathing for you runners

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:09 PM
  • 18 Replies

I started C25K last week. Today I did week 2 day 2. I do pretty well until the last set of running. I can not seem to breathe right, or keep my breathing at a pace to where I am not wanting to stop. I have not stopped, I made it through the intervals, but I know next week the running time will be longer and I have no idea how I will make it through. It is pretty hot here, I live in Florida, but I need advice on how to help with breathing. Also, I am a mouth breather. When I breathe through my nose I feel it does not give me enough oxygen. I just want to really get through this without giving up. Please help!!

Angela mama to..

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kaycersmom
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I have to run with my mouth open, I don't get enought through my nose either

audmom1218
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:01 PM
I personally did week 2 twice. It was a big jump for me to week 3. No breathing advice though, sorry
MandaMommyof2
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:02 PM

your not the only one who is a mouth breather haha that how i am when exercising   just cant help it

angchick
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:30 PM
Glad to know I am not alone. Anyone have advice????
MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm a mouth breather as well. You may have to repeat the week. Or slow down your pace a little. You should be running at a comfortable pace...a good way to tell if you're doing that is you should be able to have a conversation while you're running. Once you get through c25k and get into running more then you can work on pushing yourself more but for now try slowing it down a bit.
angchick
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much, I will try that.

Quoting MamaJessx3:

I'm a mouth breather as well. You may have to repeat the week. Or slow down your pace a little. You should be running at a comfortable pace...a good way to tell if you're doing that is you should be able to have a conversation while you're running. Once you get through c25k and get into running more then you can work on pushing yourself more but for now try slowing it down a bit.

Angela mama to..

zya
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:05 AM
I run with my mouth open too! I take deep breaths
every so often or when I feel out of breath.
mcginnisc
by Claire on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know many runners that don't breathe through their mouths while running. 

You have a couple of things working against you: 1- FL is HOT 2- FL is HUMID 

By timing your runs either at the booty crack of dawn OR late in the evening, you will avoid the "worst" of FL heat and humidity. When I'm in FL, I'm out the door by 6:30am to run. I spend 6 weeks down there every summer at my mom's and IL's ( they live in The Villages) and just about every school break as well, so I run down there a lot.. I also live in Atlanta, so our weather is pretty much the same as FL's. 

Concentrate on timing your breathing with your foot strikes if possible. Make sure you are not hunched over when you are running as this will deplete oxygen flow from your lungs to your heart. By having an upright position, with a slight forward lean, you will increase your oxygen flow, and have a comfortable pace and avoid heel striking as well. Like Jess said, if you are unable to carry on a conversation, you will need to decrease your pace slightly and this will help with your breathing as well. 

Don't be disappointed if you have to repeat a week. C25K is designed so that people can repeat weeks. It is a very forgiving program. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

angchick
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Thank you so much. I am going to try all these tomorrow and see if it helps.

Quoting mcginnisc:

I don't know many runners that don't breathe through their mouths while running. 

You have a couple of things working against you: 1- FL is HOT 2- FL is HUMID 

By timing your runs either at the booty crack of dawn OR late in the evening, you will avoid the "worst" of FL heat and humidity. When I'm in FL, I'm out the door by 6:30am to run. I spend 6 weeks down there every summer at my mom's and IL's ( they live in The Villages) and just about every school break as well, so I run down there a lot.. I also live in Atlanta, so our weather is pretty much the same as FL's. 

Concentrate on timing your breathing with your foot strikes if possible. Make sure you are not hunched over when you are running as this will deplete oxygen flow from your lungs to your heart. By having an upright position, with a slight forward lean, you will increase your oxygen flow, and have a comfortable pace and avoid heel striking as well. Like Jess said, if you are unable to carry on a conversation, you will need to decrease your pace slightly and this will help with your breathing as well. 

Don't be disappointed if you have to repeat a week. C25K is designed so that people can repeat weeks. It is a very forgiving program. 

MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:02 PM
I also live in FL btw. Where in FL are you? I'm training for a marathon right now in this heat so I feel your pain! Lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN