Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help me make my favorite recipes clean!

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:13 PM
  • 6 Replies

I need help!

I'll post some of our favorite meals and all the ingredients I use and you clean eaters out there can tell me what ingredients to substitute / take out / replace! I am attempting clean eating again and I want to succeed this time. In order to do that, I am not going to be able to GIVE UP my favorite foods. That just won't work. lol. So I need to make our favorite meals healthier!

1.  Spaghetti and Garlic Bread-

- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 jar of spaghetti sauce
- 1 package of whole grain thin spaghetti
- 1 onion and 1 green bell pepper
- 1 package of Great Value Texas Garlic Toast

2. Taco Soup

- 1 can of reduced sodium black beans
- 1 can of reduced sodium pinto beans
- 1 packet of reduced sodium taco seasoning
- 1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning
- 1/2 bag of frozen corn
- 1 can of Rotel
- 1 can of reduced sodium petite cut diced tomatoes
Topped with sour cream & shredded cheese and served with whole grain tortilla chips.

3. Pizza

- Mama Mary's whole wheat crust
- Contadina Pizza sauce
- Green pepper, onion, black olives
- Sometimes turkey pepperoni
- 1/2 bag of shredded mozzarella

4. Crockpot BBQ chicken

- Boneless skinless chicken breast tenders
- 1 bottle of Sweet Baby Rays Honey BBQ sauce
Served with green beans & corn and Schwans roasted baby potatoes

5. Sloppy Joes

- 1 can of manwhich sauce
- Whole wheat buns
Served with either Kraft Whole Grain mac n cheese or frozen french fries

6. Tacos / Taco salads

- 1 packet lower sodium taco seasoning
- 1 can of refried beans
- Stand n stuff taco shells for tacos or whole grain tortilla chips for taco salads
Topped with tomato, salsa, shredded cheese and sour cream

7. Burgers and fries

- Jennie O frozen turkey burgers
- Whole wheat buns
- Sargento Ultra Thin mild cheddar slices
- Frozen fries

Topped with lettuce, tomato, onion, light mayo, mustard, ketchup

8. Slow cooker pork chops

- 1 package of boneless thin sliced pork chops
-  8 red potatoes
- 2 cans of cream of chicken soup
- 2 packets of Hidden Valley ranch mix
- 1 cup of milk

9. Slow cooker salsa chicken

- 1 package of boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 1 jar of salsa
Served on whole wheat tortillas and topped with shredded cheese and sour cream.

10. Baked Spaghetti

- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 container of cottage cheese
- 1/2 container of ricotta cheese
- 1 bag of shredded mozzarella
Served with garlic bread.

And if anyone has a recipe for a good homemade spaghetti sauce, that would be awesome!

CafeMom TickersCafeMom TickersCafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Mom2five87
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM

BUMP!

bananasaurusrex
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

A lot of eating clean is about making your own, not buying stuff that comes in jars and boxes. Start with small things like making your own garlic bread instead of buying the texas toast. Make your own seasoning instead of using packets of taco and ranch seasoning. Things like that. Good luck!

mcginnisc
by Claire on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Quoting Mom2five87:

I need help!

I'll post some of our favorite meals and all the ingredients I use and you clean eaters out there can tell me what ingredients to substitute / take out / replace! I am attempting clean eating again and I want to succeed this time. In order to do that, I am not going to be able to GIVE UP my favorite foods. That just won't work. lol. So I need to make our favorite meals healthier!

- 1 jar of spaghetti sauce-make your own
- 1 package of Great Value Texas Garlic Toast-make your own bread and season accordingly

2. Taco Soup

- 1 can of reduced sodium black beans- avoid canned by buying dried and cooking them ahead and freezing...
- 1 can of reduced sodium pinto beans-see above
- 1 packet of reduced sodium taco seasoning- ground cumin, chili powder, dried oregano, cayenne pepper, kosher salt/sea salt, black pepper
- 1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning- omit completely- use herbs or dried herbs instead
- 1/2 bag of frozen corn-remove corn from a cob and add the corn milk as well 
- 1 can of Rotel-sadly, canned rotel is an entity all its own unless you can add fresh chopped tomatoes, peppers and cilantro.
- 1 can of reduced sodium petite cut diced tomatoes-if you are using canned use reduced sodium or no salt added.
Topped with sour cream & shredded cheese and served with whole grain tortilla chips.-use greek yogurt, ditch the cheese and chips..sorry

3. Pizza

- Mama Mary's whole wheat crust-make your own
- Contadina Pizza sauce-make your own
- 1/2 bag of shredded mozzarella-make your own- it is very easy!

4. Crockpot BBQ chicken

- Boneless skinless chicken breast tenders
- 1 bottle of Sweet Baby Rays Honey BBQ sauce-make your own!
Served with green beans & corn and Schwans roasted baby potatoes-ditch this! Use fresh veggies and avoid the starches.

5. Sloppy Joes

- 1 can of manwhich sauce-brown sugar, ketcup, mustard, fresh garlic, pepper, 
- Whole wheat buns
Served with either Kraft Whole Grain mac n cheese or frozen french fries-NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Veggies!!!!!!!!! 

6. Tacos / Taco salads

- 1 packet lower sodium taco seasoning-ground cumin, dried oregano, salt, pepper, chili powder, cayenne pepper
- 1 can of refried beans-make your own dried beans that are cooked and then process with fresh garlic and a little water.
- Stand n stuff taco shells for tacos or whole grain tortilla chips for taco salads-yeah... ditch the junky carbs..sorry
Topped with tomato, salsa, shredded cheese and sour cream-low fat cheese and greek yogurt and avocado

7. Burgers and fries

- Jennie O frozen turkey burgers-make your own patties
- Whole wheat buns
- Frozen fries-ditch them..make your own out of sweet potatoes, carrots or parsnips

Topped with lettuce, tomato, onion, light mayo, mustard, ketchup-top with avocado!

8. Slow cooker pork chops

- 1 package of boneless thin sliced pork chops
-  8 red potatoes
- 2 cans of cream of chicken soup
- 2 packets of Hidden Valley ranch mix
- 1 cup of milk- Honestly, I would ditch almost everything here...you can easily cook pork chops without processed ranch mix and soup. You need veggies in here... use brown rice, lentils, barley or quinoa in place of the potatoes, make your own base with butter and flour with the milk, which is much better than the soups. Use herbs and spices..

9. Slow cooker salsa chicken

- 1 package of boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 packet of taco seasoning-again...ground cumin, chili powder, cayenne, dried oregano, salt and pepper
- 1 jar of salsa
Served on whole wheat tortillas and topped with shredded cheese and sour cream.Greek yogurt

10. Baked Spaghetti

- 1 jar of spaghetti sauce-make your own
- 1 lb lean ground beef
Served with garlic bread.-make your own bread and season accordingly..

And if anyone has a recipe for a good homemade spaghetti sauce, that would be awesome!

You can easily make a good tomato sauce by using good quality tomatoes, onions, white or red wine, garlic and fresh herbs. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

ballerina18
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I'll try to help where I can, but you should keep in mind that pre-packaged foods are something to try to avoid. If you can make it from scratch..that is the way to go! Also, some of these meals (like baked spaghetti) should only be a once in awhile meal. I love baked spaghetti too, but that recipe calls for a lot of cheese..  =/

- 1 package of Great Value Texas Garlic Toast

It looks like you are on the right track with this meal. I also eat whole grain spaghetti and cook up fresh veggies to go with it. Do you HAVE to have the garlic toast with this meal? I don't know what the nutritional facts are for Great Value Texas Toast, but I do think it would be smarter to save the toast for when you are eating a lower calorie meal (such as a salad) or try to bake your own garlic bread. Ultimately, with this meal, I think the KEY is to watch your portion sizes. When I eat spaghetti I make sure I only eat about 1.5 fist-fulls of pasta! I like to serve salad or drink a lot of water when I eat pasta.

2. Taco Soup

- 1 can of reduced sodium black beans
- 1 can of reduced sodium pinto beans
- 1 packet of reduced sodium taco seasoning
- 1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning
- 1/2 bag of frozen corn
- 1 can of Rotel
- 1 can of reduced sodium petite cut diced tomatoes
Topped with sour cream & shredded cheese and served with whole grain tortilla chips.

While you are using quite a bit of reduced sodium products I would imagine that the sodium from this meal could add up quickly. Keep the turkey, black and pinto beans, onion, and bell pepper, but skip the taco seasoning and ranch seasoning. I doubt you will miss it since you are adding sour cream later. Skip the rotel and canned veggies. Instead dice fresh tomatoes and fresh green chilies. Perhaps you could try to skip the sour cream, but if you really want it make sure to be careful about portion sizes. Sour cream and cheese are two things I am personally very careful about. I try not to add more than 1-2 tablespoons of sour cream.  Again, watch your portion sizes on this meal and use fresh veggies =)

3. Pizza

- Mama Mary's whole wheat crust
- Contadina Pizza sauce
- 1/2 bag of shredded mozzarella

You could try to make your own sauce. This recipe sounds yummy:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/garden_pizza_sauce.html

I view pizza as a special treat so if you are going to eat it just make sure to watch your portion sizes. Personally, 2 slices of pizza is my limit. =)

6. Tacos / Taco salads

- 1 packet lower sodium taco seasoning
- 1 can of refried beans
- Stand n stuff taco shells for tacos or whole grain tortilla chips for taco salads
Topped with tomato, salsa, shredded cheese and sour cream

Tacos are one of my favorite meals to make. =) I don't know about using canned beans. Can you buy dry beans and cook them yourself? We make vegetarian tacos..basically I just put together whole wheat corn or tortilla shells and throw in fresh tomatoes, olives, cheese, kale, lettuce, spinach. Served with salsa. No sour cream. Skip that taco seasoning! You don't need it!

7. Burgers and fries

- Jennie O frozen turkey burgers
- Whole wheat buns
- Frozen fries

I am vegetarian so I buy those boca burgers or morning star veggie burgers. I will eat it with tomatoes, lettuce, pickles on whole wheat buns or I will buy those spicy burgers and eat it with salsa sans bun. I have to skip the fries..otherwise I will fall down that slippery path of wanting to eat fries every single day for every meal. lol I will usually only pick ONE type of condiment on my hamburgers. Usually it's mustard or ketchup.

10. Baked Spaghetti

- 1 lb lean ground beef
Served with garlic bread.

Make your own spaghetti sauce and try to make this a special occasion meal. =)

Overall, these meals CAN be made to be healthy. You have to watch your portion sizes and nix that packaged seasoning though. If you are serving food with some other type of condiment (ketchup, sour cream, or salsa) you don't need to add packaged seasoning. JMO =)

Mom2five87
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:23 PM

BUMP!

Golfermom3
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Really feel you need to change the sides you are serving. Mac and cheese and fries are sooo starchy. Try veggies, or if you have to have them, eat 1/2 recommended serving size.  And watch the sodium. Previous posters had GREAT ideas!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)