Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Beans

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:48 PM
  • 9 Replies

Pinto to be exact. Like what are they considered when it comes to eating healthy? Are they healthy or unhealthy or on that boarder? Like tomorrow I will be doing pinto beans mixed with rice and chicken today we did unhealthy things with them (cornbread topped with beans and a bit of cheese) and later we will be doing burritos with them. (Lots of veggies on the burritos though.. I probaby won't be having the tortilla but just a salad with some beans on it.) Like I made a bunch of them and now I am having issues thinking of what I can do with them that is healthy. We are trying to eat cheap because we are having a LOT of financial issues right now so that leaves us with limited options.

by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Raindancerx
by Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 12:35 AM

BUMP!

Raindancerx
by Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 12:36 AM

BUMP!

JenniferW67
by Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 2:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I love them too, all types of beans. I add them to salads, and soup, but usually, we'll just eat a bowl topped with chopped onion and tomato, and a sprinkle of cheese. They freeze really well.

Jincks013
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:00 AM

They go into all manner of soups and stews for me. I love to add beans. Great protien, low fat / no fat and filling. 

grandmotherof6
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:09 AM

beans are very healty, so I think you are doing good, well the corn tortilla is pretty healty

housewifehell
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:19 AM
2 moms liked this

There is so much  miss information out there about foods and what is healthy and what is not its crazy. As for beans YES they are healthy but from what I understand some "diet plans" say no.  I have lost 250 lbs and beans have been a big part of my diet in fact I have a huge pot of them cooking right now. Nutrition is something that people dont seem to really understand lately because of all the advertising and marketing of things that are super unhealthy for us its hard to know what is the right info and the wrong info. When you say that you are doing "unhealthy" stuff with them tonight by making beans corn bread and cheese that isnt unhealthy that is fine in the right portions.  Portions is where too many people go wrong when it comes to things like bread and cheese.  You sound like you are doing well when it comes to cheap healthy foods.

cc5112
by Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Pinto beans are great! They are considered both a protein and a starch. When you pair them with rice (preferably brown or wild), it becomes almost a perfect protein. It is a great vegetarian  and/or vegan option. You can blend them, season them and add some cheese and make into burritos with some salsa. You can also toast the tortilla like a tostada and top it with the blended beans , some cheese and lettuce and tomato.

Another option and a budget friendly one is lentils. You can have them over a bed of lettuce/greens. You can also make them into a dip like hummus. Make it into a soup wth leftover veggies like carrots and celery and potatoes.

Quinoa is also a cheap and great option and so easy to make. It actually has protein even though it is a grain. You can treat it like rice and even add the beans you  have on hand. You canalso mix in some mushrooms, frozen peas, etc and have a healthy and cheap meal.  Google recipes for it and for pinto beans. You'd be surprised how versatile they are.

I'm sorry you are having financial trouble but feel good that you are actually doing something healthy for you and your family in the process. :)

Good luck to you!

Raindancerx
by Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 3:51 PM

OMG! So much info and I LOVE it! Thank you so much!

Quoting cc5112:

Pinto beans are great! They are considered both a protein and a starch. When you pair them with rice (preferably brown or wild), it becomes almost a perfect protein. It is a great vegetarian  and/or vegan option. You can blend them, season them and add some cheese and make into burritos with some salsa. You can also toast the tortilla like a tostada and top it with the blended beans , some cheese and lettuce and tomato.

Another option and a budget friendly one is lentils. You can have them over a bed of lettuce/greens. You can also make them into a dip like hummus. Make it into a soup wth leftover veggies like carrots and celery and potatoes.

Quinoa is also a cheap and great option and so easy to make. It actually has protein even though it is a grain. You can treat it like rice and even add the beans you  have on hand. You canalso mix in some mushrooms, frozen peas, etc and have a healthy and cheap meal.  Google recipes for it and for pinto beans. You'd be surprised how versatile they are.

I'm sorry you are having financial trouble but feel good that you are actually doing something healthy for you and your family in the process. :)

Good luck to you!

Raindancerx
by Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Thank you. I have been told a LOT that beans are unhealthy but maybe they mean out of a can? Possibly.. Still I have thought beans were unhealthy since I was a child especially when mom and dad would do them for a meal and say how unhealthy it was but how it was cheap.

Quoting housewifehell:

There is so much  miss information out there about foods and what is healthy and what is not its crazy. As for beans YES they are healthy but from what I understand some "diet plans" say no.  I have lost 250 lbs and beans have been a big part of my diet in fact I have a huge pot of them cooking right now. Nutrition is something that people dont seem to really understand lately because of all the advertising and marketing of things that are super unhealthy for us its hard to know what is the right info and the wrong info. When you say that you are doing "unhealthy" stuff with them tonight by making beans corn bread and cheese that isnt unhealthy that is fine in the right portions.  Portions is where too many people go wrong when it comes to things like bread and cheese.  You sound like you are doing well when it comes to cheap healthy foods.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)