Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Seriously?!?!

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:49 AM
  • 5 Replies

A friend of mine wanted to do a half marathon so I told her I would do it with her since it is her first one. So, we both registered a couple of weeks ago for it. It is on October 26, which is about 9 weeks away. 

The 2nd week of training, LeighAnn pulled her groin, and more. She was placed on steroids, PT and no running. No problem..we can work around a week off of training since we both have a good base of running and I've run a half marathon before. 

Three days later, I manage to injure myself. I went to the Ortho ( we see the same one since her husband works in that office) and lo and behold, I have sciatica, severe muscle fatigue and was grounded for 5 days and put on muscle relaxers and steroids. Ok..no long run this past weekend. I can make up those 13 miles of lost mileage for last week since I missed 3 runs. 

Now comes the good part... I dropped my Nook on my toe last Thursday. I did not feel any pain or anything and was fine...On Saturday, I got out of the shower and my toe ( the one next to the pinky toe on my right foot) is black/blue and swollen twice it's size. Fantastic! I showed it to DH and he immediately said " holy cow! what did you do?" I told him I had dropped my Nook 2 days prior and his response was " it's probably broken".. nice. So, naturally, there really isn't much they can do for a broken toe, so I buddy taped it to another toe yesterday. My whole flippin' foot hurts and walking sucks. 

So, now... LeighAnn and I have shelled out $70 each for this race and both of us are injured pretty badly. Her PT does not want her to run the race and now I'm wondering how I'm going to run 7 miles this weekend with a possibly broken toe. I told her on our running group's FB this morning if she wants to walk/hobble/jog this one, I'm still in. I also said we won't worry about time due to such icky injuries, but she will have completed her first half and gotten her medal and magnet for her car and we can do another one in the spring for time. 

I swear, every time I do a half marathon, I get injured. My mother thinks it means I should never run again...yeah, mom that's gonna happen... I actually asked her this morning if she had ever met me! You'd think that after 38 years, she would know me a little better than that. LOL 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
dmwood
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:26 PM

OUCH!!! I hope you both heal quickly. 

Lesgerm
by Leslie on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Aw man that sucks! And I feel your pain. I realized 2 weeks ago that one of the halfs I had registered for was on Sept 1...3 weeks away! I wasn't sure I could pull it off. I started training right away and yesterday I ran 12 miles and feel great!! Then I freaking hurt my back and can barely walk now! So I'm thinking maybe no running at all this week...I'm really not sure if I'll be able to run the race either :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HappyGirl77
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:37 PM

That really stinks!  I will pray for a speedy recovery for you and your friend!  I hate it when Murphy's Law follows me around!

Reina13
by Reina on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Oh no. Those races are not cheap, add in the injury and it sounds like a bummer all the way around.

I hope you heal quickly. I have had broken toes before and they hurt like the devil and that is just with walking.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Hugs Claire!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)