Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Am i pushing myself too hard too fast?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:54 AM
  • 3 Replies
Bare with me ladies I'm mobile and It sucks typing on my phone.

My weight is somewhere around 275, I'm 5'5... For the past 2 years my lifestyle has been mostly sedentary because I was in nursing school and It was very very demanding and all we did was eat/study/drink so I gained about 40 pounds.

Since I've been done with school im slowly getting back to being more active. I figured I would take it slow so that I don't get overwhelmed and quit. I started by cooking more at home and little to no fast food, by that I mean i get salad and water if I do get fast food. If I find myself hungry between meals I have a stash of apple slices I snack on. So far the "dieting" is going ok. I won't lie, yesterday i did have a happy meal and I tried to justify it saying atleast it isn't a large combo. But i felt really guilty afterwards.

As far as exercise I started doing yoga and running around the park playing with my son more instead of sitting and watching and pushing him on the swing. Ive been getting my large butt on the play equipment and chasing him around. Then i got this wild idea I wanted to try kick boxing... I found a really nice jiu jitsu academy that offered a 30 day trial for their classes which kick boxing was an option. So yesterday was ny first real class and omg. I thought I was going to die. I didn't know that they had 1 class with people on different skill levels.. so I was in class with UFC fighters. I felt so embarrassedbut motivated at the same time. I stayed there the whole hour and i attempted every exercise more than once. Everyone was really nice and I have never had a workout like that before, even doing zumba. So while I felt like I accomplished something I kind of feel like it is beyond my fitness level. Idk if I should find something a little less intense or keep at this class and become a champion boxer lol...because thats really what the class is for.

Sorry this is so long. I didn't mean for it to be.
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
GleeFan
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I think you need to listen to your body. It may be a bit too intense for your fitness level. I'm not sure, but I do know that I wouldn't have been able to last the entire time, so great job for that.

mstricey
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Thanks.. I modified a lot of the exercises and instead of doing 50 push ups I did like 10 each time lol. I'm going to go back in the morning and try it again.

Quoting GleeFan:

I think you need to listen to your body. It may be a bit too intense for your fitness level. I'm not sure, but I do know that I wouldn't have been able to last the entire time, so great job for that.

BabyRuca
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:58 PM
No one knows your body more than you do.

With that said, I personally wouldn't jump into any type of class that combines all levels of expertise. I think everything else that you're doing is absolutely fantastic though.

It takes a lot just to get started, but you have to make sure not to overwork yourself too soon. It can cause you health problems and put you back in your gains. Also, it can really burn you out and cause a big loss I'm motivation.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)