Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

What Do YOUR Kids Eat? 6 Healthy & Incredibly Simple Breakfast Recipes

Cafe MichelleP
Football, football and more football. It's the most wonderful time of the year.
Today at 9:09 PM
Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:04 PM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

6 Healthy & Incredibly Simple Breakfast Recipes to Power Up Your Kid's Day

by Maressa Brown

Breakfast quesadillaWith kids heading back to school and the general feeling of get-back-to-biz fall on the horizon, our mornings are about to get a lot busier. But that doesn't mean healthy, easy, nutritious breakfasts have to fall by the wayside. 

Here, six quick, yummy, super-filling, and most importantly stress-free breakfast recipes that'll power up the beginning of your whole family's day ...

1. Greek yogurt parfait - Layer ½ cup Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1 Tbsp. chia seeds, ½ cup Greek yogurt, 1 cup strawberries, and top with pecans.
  2. Banana topped with nut butter - Great mix of carbs and protein to get you going! Split the banana down the middle and spread peanut or almond butter onto one half, put back together and eat it like a little banana sandwich, or just shmear it however you like.
  3. Breakfast quesadilla - From Shape magazine: Mix together in a bowl 2 egg whites and 1 egg. Coat non-stick pan with non-stick cooking spray and place over medium heat. After pan is heated, add egg mixture and scramble until eggs are cooked through. Next, mix in 1 tbsp. chopped cilantro and ½ cup salsa. Remove egg mixture from pan and place in a bowl. Place 1 low-carb flour tortilla on non-stick pan and sprinkle 1/2 cup low-fat shredded cheese on one half. Place half of the egg/salsa mixture onto the same half of the tortilla. Fold the tortilla onto itself forming a quesadilla. Let heat for 1-2 minutes. With a spatula, flip quesadilla over and heat the other side. Remove quesadilla from pan and repeat quesadilla making process with the other tortilla and remaining egg mixture.
  4. Fruit & cheese - Nosh on this mix to keep going all morning long: An apple, 1 to 2 ounces of cheese (cheddar works well with a tart apple!), and ¼ cup of fiber- and protein-rich walnuts.
  5. Frozen waffle with nut butter - Similar to #2 but using a quickly toasted, preferably high-fiber frozen waffle. Spread with 1-2 tablespoons of peanut or almond (or cashew!) butter. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of raisins, sesame seeds, chia or flax seeds for even more fiber, which will help slow and steady the absorption of the the meal's nutrients.
  6. Huevos Rancheros to go - Slice a hard-boiled egg, then roll it in an 8-inch whole-wheat tortilla with a piece of Canadian bacon, lean ham, or turkey or chicken breast, or if you wanna go vegetarian, a small scoop of organic re-fried beans spread. Add ½-ounce slice of cheese and a tablespoon of salsa. Pop in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute 'n' eat!

What's your go-to quick 'n' healthy breakfast?

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Ebonyjewel28
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:06 PM
We like yogurt and toast, fruit and juice!
Cafe Robin
by Head Admin on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I've been making my kids smoothies for breakfast lately - trying to get away from the cereal and waffles.

My youngest likes what we call a chunky nutty - milk, peanut butter, a banana, 1/4tsp of unsweetened cocoa power and a dash of cinnamon.

For my other 2 kids, I blend milk, berries and a banana.  Sometimes I add a peach if I have one on hand.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:09 AM

dairy-free smoothies & hard boiled eggs

grain-free fruit muffins & hard boiled eggs

luvhubandbabys
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:11 AM
My kids love egg whites n yogurt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Italiancouture7
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Homemade banana oatmeal with a little bit of local honey and some cinnamon. DD loves that.. I also make green smoothies for breakfast a lot, shes always asking me for that.

I also like to make paleo pancakes.. Its 3 bananas, 3 eggs and half a cup of all natural peanut butter with a tablespoon of cinnamon... No syrup, I just cut up fresh fruit on top. Or you can blend of some fruit and throw it in the batter.

Last one lol... Banana oatmeal muffins:

2.5 cups old fashioned oats (blend them up in a food processor to make it like flour.)

1 cup plain low fat greek yogurt

2 eggs

1/3 cup local honey (not the fake stuff)

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp vanilla

2 ripe bananas 

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray tin with non-stick cooking spray or line 12 muffin tins with silicone or foil liners.
2. Place the oats in the food processor and pulse for about 10 seconds.  Add remaining ingredients to the food processor

3. Process until everything is mixed together and oats are smooth.

4. Divide batter among cupcake liners, and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

You can add in nuts too if you want..walnuts or pecans, also some fruit would be great!

Taviesmommy
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I like to do Baked Oatmeals - Pumpkin and Blueberry are my favorite. One batch will last us most of the week. I made Cinnamon Bake Quinoa this week and my DD loved it, DS - not so much.

Scrambled eggs with veggies - the kids like to put them in a tortilla to make a breakfast burrito.

Scrambled eggs in a cup for when I am short on time.

nymom13
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:29 PM
My daughter usually eats breakfast at school during the school year which starts tomorrow. During the summer she eats pancakes, eggs, sausage, turkey bacon. She also likes bagels without cream cheese or Froot Loops.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)