What Do YOUR Kids Eat? 6 Healthy & Incredibly Simple Breakfast Recipes
With kids heading back to school and the general feeling of get-back-to-biz fall on the horizon, our mornings are about to get a lot busier. But that doesn't mean healthy, easy, nutritious breakfasts have to fall by the wayside.
Here, six quick, yummy, super-filling, and most importantly stress-free breakfast recipes that'll power up the beginning of your whole family's day ...
- Greek yogurt parfait - Layer ½ cup Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1 Tbsp. chia seeds, ½ cup Greek yogurt, 1 cup strawberries, and top with pecans.
- Banana topped with nut butter - Great mix of carbs and protein to get you going! Split the banana down the middle and spread peanut or almond butter onto one half, put back together and eat it like a little banana sandwich, or just shmear it however you like.
- Breakfast quesadilla - From Shape magazine: Mix together in a bowl 2 egg whites and 1 egg. Coat non-stick pan with non-stick cooking spray and place over medium heat. After pan is heated, add egg mixture and scramble until eggs are cooked through. Next, mix in 1 tbsp. chopped cilantro and ½ cup salsa. Remove egg mixture from pan and place in a bowl. Place 1 low-carb flour tortilla on non-stick pan and sprinkle 1/2 cup low-fat shredded cheese on one half. Place half of the egg/salsa mixture onto the same half of the tortilla. Fold the tortilla onto itself forming a quesadilla. Let heat for 1-2 minutes. With a spatula, flip quesadilla over and heat the other side. Remove quesadilla from pan and repeat quesadilla making process with the other tortilla and remaining egg mixture.
- Fruit & cheese - Nosh on this mix to keep going all morning long: An apple, 1 to 2 ounces of cheese (cheddar works well with a tart apple!), and ¼ cup of fiber- and protein-rich walnuts.
- Frozen waffle with nut butter - Similar to #2 but using a quickly toasted, preferably high-fiber frozen waffle. Spread with 1-2 tablespoons of peanut or almond (or cashew!) butter. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of raisins, sesame seeds, chia or flax seeds for even more fiber, which will help slow and steady the absorption of the the meal's nutrients.
- Huevos Rancheros to go - Slice a hard-boiled egg, then roll it in an 8-inch whole-wheat tortilla with a piece of Canadian bacon, lean ham, or turkey or chicken breast, or if you wanna go vegetarian, a small scoop of organic re-fried beans spread. Add ½-ounce slice of cheese and a tablespoon of salsa. Pop in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute 'n' eat!
What's your go-to quick 'n' healthy breakfast?