Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help Please

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hi, I'm new to this site and group my name is Tasha and I have a three year old daughter. My daughter has inherited her daddy's gene of being tall and thin. I however inherited all the horrible genes from my parents. I am short and on the fat side. I have a treadmill as well as a in-home gym thing. I have tried several times and can not get a routine down pat. I can't seem to stick to the whole working out thing. I drink basically nothing but water and my eating isn't the greatest. I am a very picky eater. I do not like vegetables nor can I really afford to but healthier food. I would love to lose some major weight but I am at a complete loss on how to motivate myself to stick with it. Does anyone have any ideas that might help me out?

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
v2011
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Focus on building muscle.  Muscle burns fat and you will get leaner pretty quick. Body weight exersises are really good for that.  Start using the home gym 3 days a week.  Do leg exersises one day, chest and triceps the second day and back/ biceps the third.  It's ok to change it up, it's good for your body.  Just start with committing to be in motion for 30 minutes.  If it's the treadmill, great, if its bodyweight exersises, that's fine too.

Find the right TIME to workout.  I can't lift weights in the morning, I go in the afternoon, others are too tired in the afternoon.  If you don't like weights try plyometrics (alll kinds of info on the web). Start with a commitment of 3 days a week and go from there. 

Muscle is made of protein, so you need to take in more protein. Tweak the foods you like.   Lets say you like cheeseburgers, do at turkey burger instead with swiss cheese.  Try feta chease instead of ranch dressing.   Buy natural peanut butter at Walmart instead of the sugary processed peanut butters.  Eat lots of eggs whites instead of just fried eggs. Take a multivitamin if you don't like veggies.  

There is nothing wrong with gradual changes.  If you crash diet, or run head first in to fitness you may burn out.  Just make sure you make changes you can live with and keep making them so it becomes a lifestyle. Make weekly goals.  This week I will cut all white breads out of my diet and replace it with whole grain.  I will eat smaller meals, more fequently.  As you clean up your diet and exersise you will find you have more energy.  Pay attention to your body and how you feel after you eat.  For example, I can't do begals, they make me sleepy, so I have a greek yogert and some blueberries for breakfast and I have no need for coffee. 

There are a ton of workout and motivational vids on youtube.  Get a pic of a woman who's body size and shape you would like to have.  Take a pic of you now and hang them on the wall. In a month take another pic and in another month take another pic. That way you SEE your changes.  Take measurements too, and throw out the scale. 

Inspira
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Thank you I will defiantly give this a try. I never use to be this big until I had my daughter then after my weight and health went down hill. I hate this. I can't stand to go out because I am on the bigger side I get hotter easier and it makes me grumpy so we don't get to do as much out doors. Thank you so much.!! I plan on working out tonight so I'll keep  all this in mind. I appreciate the advice.

happyw5
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I actually have gained weight since I started eating healthy food.  I feel really good though...  Start small, I would say instead of taking away foods just start introducing new foods.  Beans are cheap and sooo good for you...  Add black beans to your taco meat, you won't even know they are in there.  I was never a big veggie eater either, I started by cooking all the veges I would eat-even though it took alot of the nutrition out, and now I am slowly enjoying some of them raw...  I have alot of food allergies so I really had no choice but to try some new things! 

As for exercise, I would say dance and play.  You have a little one and they love loud music and dancing around the house. Make it fun

LaLaMichelle
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:03 AM
1 mom liked this
You are not in the struggle alone! Start by writing down your overall goal, then break that goal down into smaller, more achievable goals. For instance: "I want to workout 5 days a week for 30 minutes a day to increase my overall health and fitness so I can be happier with my body". This can be broken down to: I will increase my physical activity level to 10 minutes per day, 3 days per week, and I will do this for 3 weeks. Once you have achieved that, you can modify the goal to 15 minutes per day, 4 days per week for 3 weeks, and so on and so forth. Think of it as a staircase, and each step taking you toward your fitness goal is a building block for the next level. Every time you take a step up you achieve a greater level of fitness and you take one step closer to your overall goal.

Start small so you do not set yourself up for failure. Find easy ways to motivate yourself, like putting a sticky note on the dashboard of your car that has a POSITIVE message on it. Tell friends or family your fitness goals, because they WILL ask you if you are achieving them which holds you accountable for your fitness plan. Incorporate fitness in easy ways that include parking further away in the parking lot, taking the stairs, and even doing 15 squats or 20 crunches when a commercial comes on while watching tv. The accumulation of benefits will help you feel better and should increase your motivation to do more to see results faster.
she-ra2000
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I have been on and off the weightloss wagon lately, so you're not the only one. My biggest problem is that I'm inconsistent. I have a jump rope,a resistance band. I stopped my walking a few times a wk to none. I do still try to watch my portion sizs and what I eat and drink. I've switched to almond milk since about a month ago. I still cant seem to get my weight down. one thing I'm doing now is trying to start a garden. I've already planted cabbage and lettuce this past monday. I can't wait to see them start to come up :)I think it'll give me something positive to focus on, and when dooms day comes I'll be somewhat prepared :)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group!  I would focus on small changes...one at a time:)  You can do it!

Inspira
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Thank you to everyone who has posted with advice. I greatly appreciate all of it.

CLEKate
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Weight loss is primarily about diet, not exercise.  So start by focusing on that.  Write down everything you eat--including portion sizes.  See how much you are actually eating in a day.  Then you can slowly adjust.

I find that it's easier to make smaller changes.  Pay attention to portions.  Control those portions.  Increase portions of those "better for you" foods (some proteins, veggies, fruits) while reducing those of the "not as good for you foods" (heavy carbs, high fat/calorie items.)  Add fruits to every meal so that you can eat less of the "not so good foods."

When you are gotten the hang of this, you can start counting calories and seeing how many you are eating, then move towards what you should be eating.

As for motivation: That's an individual thing.  You either have it or you don't.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Sep. 7, 2013 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group, Tasha!

Motivation has to come from within.  Have you thought about WHY you want to do this?  You have to be willing to MAKE changes if you want to SEE changes.  Get it out of your head that you hate vegetables, and try new ways of preparing them.  Try one at a time, and do a bunch of different recipes that include that veggie.  It's worked for me!

I've managed to lose my weight (114 lbs so far) while on food stamps.  It CAN be done.  But you have to prioritize, and you have to bargain shop.  What about bulk bins?  Bulk beans are one of my favorite things to get.  I'll make huge batches and freeze them.

Are you able to get outside for some of your workouts?  I'm a runner, personally, but even walking outside can be a big breath of fresh air (literally) compared with the DREADmill.  I also do my strength workouts outside whenever possible.  Something about being outside helps keep me moving.

Remember that just because your daughter is tall and thin doesn't mean that she doesn't need a good example of how to be HEALTHY.  Ever heard the term skinny-fat?  Just because someone is thin doesn't mean they're healthy.  She also needs to learn how to make healthy choices with food, and how to make exercise fun.  Get her involved in your workouts!  My now 5 year old LOVES to join me when I work out, and now he wants to do triathlons like Mommy!  I started my journey when he was 18 months old, and he's been doing videos and strength and such with me since the beginning.  They're never too young!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)