Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Popular Yogurt Pulled From Shelves: What You Need to Know

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:50 PM
  • 15 Replies

Popular Yogurt Pulled From Shelves: What You Need to Know

by Emily Abbate

Chobani recallHow do you like your Greek yogurt? Maybe with some fresh berries and a little granola? I know how you don't like it: "fizzing." I'm also sure you don't want it to taste "really old" or look as though it's "swelling or bloating" in the cup. Greek yogurt honcho Chobani is in the process of pulling some of its products from supermarket shelves after customers recently complained of all of those above issues. According to the company, a type of mold commonly found in dairy may be to blame.

Is it a complete Chobani recall? No, not quite. The effort is voluntary and preventive, and they are not issuing a formal recall.

Regardless, I know you don't wanna be eating bad yogurt, right? So -- here's everything you need to know about Chobani's yogurt fiasco:

Cups with the code 16-012 and expiration dates between September 11, 2013 and October 7, 2013 are affected. The company isn't revealing what states these items went to or which products are affected, only that the bad batch was made in its Idaho facility and represents less than 5 percent of its total population.

Sounds minuscule, right? Sure. But still, fans of Chobani's Facebook page are complaining of ailments stemming from the bad batch. One user says her 15-month-old daughter has been consuming Chobani Champion tubes that had that code, and now she has a horrible rash and a few other problems. Another fan revealed she's had stomach pains for three weeks as well as cramps, nausea, and bloating.

I understand that Chobani is doing the best they can to avoid mass hysteria over the quasi-recalled products. However, I think it's the consumer's right to have a little more information about what could happen after ingesting the tainted products and exactly which products were tainted. Customers who have purchased yogurts with the affected codes are encouraged to contact Chobani's customer service team at care@chobani.com to get replacement products.

Do you eat Greek yogurt?

Are you going to double-check your yogurts?

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
miasmommy21407
by Maegan on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:07 PM

I can't stand yogurt...greek or otherwise, but Chobani is the only brand my Dh will eat and he eats it every single day. He hasn't complained about any bad taste or texture but he has been having a lot of stomach problems so it makes me wonder. I'm going to check the ones in my refrigerator in the morning.

Mommy to Mia 6, Dason 4, Angel Baby who left for heaven 1-6-11, Raegan 1 and Gabriel born August 2013.  

Uhura
by New Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:12 PM

I can't stand yogurt, except when it's used in making Indian food, but no worries here.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Sep. 8, 2013 at 5:12 PM

My sister had this in her fridge. She had no idea it had been recalled.

audmom1218
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 5:29 PM
I buy great value Greek. Because I know most gv products are the same products as other brands just relabeled I'm a little worried!
CMcLaws
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:42 AM
I got sick from that batch. I had terrible stomach pain with severe diarrhea and vomiting for four days. It was not fun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CMcLaws
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:52 AM
Oh great...Walmart had all of their yogurt pulled off the shelves, but not the tubes so I thought those were safe. Nope, they've got the same batch number, and I gave one to DD yesterday. I wonder if that explains the weird rash that popped up on her leg?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RubyMom0526
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Glad I don't buy that brand

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:45 AM

We're good.  Chobani is my favorite but we haven't had any for a few months.

othermom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:28 AM

We don't buy that brand, but that is scary

shishie
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:41 PM
I do not buy that brand.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)