Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Clean eaters- opinions:

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:17 PM
  • 8 Replies
Ok so I spent the weekend with DHs vegan aunt and cousin. They were bragging up their "butter" and tried to get me to use it in our potatoes in place of olive oil. But because the first ingredient was palm oil, and it looked really processed I declined.

What's you're take? Is this "clean"? I don't use butter at home. (I don't bake, and I cook with olive oil.)

http://www.earthbalancenatural.com/product/original-buttery-spread/
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
v2011
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I haven't heard of it so I googled it.  Found this article, it may be better to stick to what you are doing....

http://humanfoodproject.com/palm-oil-maybe-not-such-a-good-idea-after-all/

v2011
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:58 PM

BUT! This is interesting too...

http://www.drgourmet.com/askdrgourmet/palmoil.shtml#.Uii3sNKkrIY

It seems that aside from the enviormental impact of Palm oil, it might be ok as long as it isn't from the kearnal. 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:20 AM

oil blend...including soy which is 90% - 95% GMO anyway, and canola is highly processed.... and it's a spread?  I wonder what they did to make it spreadable instead of pourable.

I wouldn't touch it.

audmom1218
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM
To be a butter replacement. (On toast, etc).

Quoting michiganmom116:

oil blend...including soy which is 90% - 95% GMO anyway, and canola is highly processed.... and it's a spread?  I wonder what they did to make it spreadable instead of pourable.

I wouldn't touch it.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:35 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes...and to make liquid into a spread, they are often hydrogenized.

I'd rather have real food....butter.  Two ingredients:  cream & salt.

Quoting audmom1218:

Quoting michiganmom116:

I wouldn't touch it.

audmom1218
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh good! I'm glad I'm not crazy! I mean don't get me wrong I know there are definite health benefits to a vegan lifestyle but I think my focus on eating clean has helped me feel 10000x better and that spread didn't look "clean" to me. We buy locally grown/pressed olive oils. A little more expensive but our food tastes so good!
Occasionally I use real butter (on sweet corn and when baking) but I don't feel dairy is immoral, just and unnecessary part of our diet!
While I disagree with the usda's 3 a day dairy recommendation, plain Greek yogurt is a staple in my diet/cooking!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Yes...and to make liquid into a spread, they are often hydrogenized.

I'd rather have real food....butter.  Two ingredients:  cream & salt.

Quoting audmom1218:

Quoting michiganmom116:

I wouldn't touch it.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Sep. 7, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Stay away!  Palm oil is awful for you.  Real butter would be the healthier option.  =)

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

VeggieRunnerMom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I think if you are vegan it is a decent choice. We chose organic butter though :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)