Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Newbie

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM
  • 4 Replies

Well I'm 36 years old, weigh 210 and I'm 5'6".  I need help laying some weight.  I drink a ton of water.  Trying to limit my carbs, that's the hardest part.  Extremely busy with the kids schedule.  Not sure where to start

Jessica

by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Welcome, Jessica!

Time crunches can make it tough, but it's not impossible.  Remember that you don't have to change everything at once- start with the water and ditching the refined carbs, and go from there.  Next work on portions or something else that's a big part of it for you, then add in walking or DVDs or some kind of exercise, etc.  All of those changes add up over time!  Plus, it'll be easier to make them work for YOUR life.  Our lives are all different, so making it realistic for you is really important if you want it to work. 

Remember that not all carbs are created equal.  Carbs from whole grains, beans and legumes, fruits, and vegetables are healthy and necessary.  I try to limit my carb intake to 40% of my food intake, and for me, that works (I split the other 60% equally between protein and healthy fats).

With your busy schedule, consider splitting up your workouts.  I've been known to sneak in a 10-12 minute run or lift session because it's what will work that day (if that's all that happens, okay, but ideally I'll do a few of those when possible).  I'll keep my kettlebell and running gear in the car if necessary, if I think I might be able to get in a short workout somewhere.  You can also involve your kids- my son has been doing videos with me since I started this, when he was 18 months old (of course, he's never had the attention span for a whole 30 minute video, but he'll pop in and out).  Now he's a very fit 5 year old with BOUNDLESS energy that I can thankfully keep up with, and he is itching to do triathlons like mommy!  NOT where we were 3 years ago, when I was 269 lbs. =)

You can do this!!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Welcome to the group Jessica!  Suzanne has some great advice...hugs and good luck!

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:56 PM
emtgirl885
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:49 AM
Welcome to the group!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)