Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Locker Room Striptease: How Naked Do You Go?

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 6:31 AM
  • 25 Replies

Locker Room Striptease: How Naked Do You Go?

by Juliet Farmer

Gym locker roomMy husband and I recently joined a new gym, and along with getting used to everything else about the gym (new workouts, new equipment, class schedules, etc.), I'm also getting used to a new gym (naked) etiquette.

At my old gym, I would go in to store my gym bag, and the locker room was always full of ladies in various stages of undress, and, of course, there were always those one or two ladies that insisted on doing everything naked -- putting on makeup, doing their hair, even putting on their socks and shoes and then going to the restroom naked.

In the men's locker room, my husband was subjected to a while lotta naked, including men flopping their private parts on the countertops while primping -- hilarious and disgusting at the same time.

At the new gym, so far the only naked I've noticed has been both necessary and appropriate -- no naked while blow drying hair or applying makeup. Hallelujah!

Now, I'm no prude, and I like being naked. I've had breast cancer, a double mastectomy, and no reconstruction, so I sometimes even feel it's my civic duty to whip my shirt off to remind the women to do their breast self exams.

In the locker room, my nakedness serves a purpose, as I'm either showering or in the process of getting dressed or undressed. My body ain't what it used to be, and I have more cancer-related scars than I do appendages, but that's not what limits my skin exposure in the locker room.

The bottom line is that I don't treat the locker room like my bathroom at home, and I expect I'll be unpopular for saying this, but I find it weird when other women do.

What's your naked threshold at the gym?

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 6:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:09 AM

I don't care who sees me naked... So I've changed both in a changing room and also right next to my locker where everyone can see me. I've done this in both the gym I go to on base and off base. 

RosaSherman
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:45 AM

I dont do everything thing naked but I am naked.  If you do not want to see me look away.  I have had 5 surgeries and have the scares to prove it and I do not care.  The locker room is kinda like my bathroom so I do not put on my makeup naked, I do walk sometimes to and from the shower naked.  If I am really really sweaty I just walk to the shower naked.  Then I dry and lotion my body then I get dressed,  As far as other people being naked I dont care what they do naked, it does not bother me at all.

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:08 AM
2 moms liked this

tee shirt and shorts would be as naked as I'd ever get in front of ANYONE but hubby

Reina13
by Reina on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I'll get naked from the locker to the shower but mostly I will have a towel wrapped around me.

There is this one woman who walks around the locker room naked as the day she was born. It just seems second nature to her. The older women who take water aerobics also get naked and carry on conversations as if they were just having afternoon tea.

I am facsinated by the locker room dynamics..lol

MomofHDFandNWF
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I try to be as discreet and modest about it as I can -- that could come more from my own insecurities of my body than anything else, and I am more than willing to admit that!

christi34
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:41 AM

When I was a member of the gym, the gym at private areas for those that wish not to expose any skin to any one. 

I really hate showing my body to anyone.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM
I go full monty, but I don't parade around that way. If I need to walk around, I'll do it in at least pants and a bra, or with a towel around me.
cntrdmom
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:50 AM
I was in the military. I can get naked no matter who's around. I only have modesty because of how our society views nakedness, sexuality, and the such. It's twisted how we can advertise things sexually suggestive way with models barely dressed, yet heaven forbid someone change clothes, or breastfeed where anyone could possible see. Nakedness seems to only be ok if it's on a sexual nature on TV or a bikini at the beach.

Anyways in a locker room I don't care one bit. We are all human and in that case the same gender. No off should have to feel uncomfortable.
littlebugs2113
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:50 AM
A tank top and shorts is my max level of naked in front of anyone other than my husband
v2011
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I go to the gym changed, so I dont have a need to get naked.  When I go right after work I change by my locker but I do try to be discreet about it.  It's got nothing to do with insecurity.  Im, overall, verry happy with my body.  I just try to be repsectful of the other ladies in the locker room who do not want to see it in all it's birthday suit glory  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)