Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Anythings better than nothing??

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:55 AM
  • 17 Replies
This is what I am trying to tell myself ,that if I workout for just 10 mins it's better than sitting on my butt for that 10 min.I have lost 30 lbs but then just kind of stopped.I still need to loose another 10-20 to be where I need to be,but I stopped seeing progress so I stopped working out. I need my motivation back, any words of encouragement to get me going again??
Also our budget has tightened up lately and healthy food options have been cut short,so it's like if I can't eat the way I wanna why even bother ya know??
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
randomosityblog
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Something is better than nothing!! :)

... but 10 minutes is BS.

So are the budget excuses for healthy foods. Google is an amazing resource for healthy foods on a budget! :)

Stop being so easy on yourself. It's time to push.

BeAmour
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Well....no.

You're just as good sitting on your butt than you are that 10 minutes. Why? You really can't sustain your heart rate enough for 10 minutes to really do much good. Sure, maybe a little bit of cardiovascular help but not where you need it.

Given the budget and lack of healthy food options now being available to you, no....since you're eating less healthy food, 10 minutes isn't going to be enough. Period.

NOW....if you ate totally clean and didn't have too much of sneek stuff and did 10 minutes just to do something, that's different.

My suggestion?

Do 10 minutes 3 times a day.

Do it for a week.

Then, if you're anything like me,  you'll get annoyed with doing it 3 times a day and just do two of them at once and then go down to doing it all in 30 minutes at once.

Good luck.

BeAmour
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:50 AM
2 moms liked this

heart-n-dixie
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:25 AM
2 moms liked this
Thanks, I really needed to hear that. I guess I have just been making excuses and being lazy. after reading these replies I went inside changed clothes and did and hour on my elliptical and I feel amazing. One day at a time. I can totally do this.
v2011
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:02 PM

You may have hit a plateau.  Your body is too used to what you are doing.  You have to shock it a little.  Completely change your workout and you will see results again. 

heart-n-dixie
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:05 AM
I think that is what happened too. I was doing so good and loosing consistently then it just stopped so I decided to take a break. I couldn't figure out what else to do that I would stick with so I just stopped for a few weeks but still tried to eat ok with proper portions and as healthy as I could. The last week or so I have been slowly getting back into my old routine and working out a day or two here and there but yesterday I did and hour run on my elliptical and a few other body weight workouts so well see what happens I'm hoping to shock my body by getting back into it since its bad a break maybe ill see results again. Thought about trying 30 day shred too along with my elliptical routine, why is the last 20 so dang stubborn.. I don't wanna give up I just wanna see more change😁

Quoting v2011:You may have hit a plateau.  Your body is too used to what you are doing.  You have to shock it a little.  Completely change your workout and you will see results again. 
CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Something is absolutely better than nothing!

You want to do 10 minutes, then do 10 minutes several times a day.  It takes the thought process out of it.

Your budget is cut, then be creative.  You don't have to eat all organic to be healthy.  A big part of eating healthy is also about eating seasonally, which is often less expensive.  Think outside of the box.

v2011
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM

A plateau is so frustrating and demotivating.  What is 30 Day Shred?  Sounds like a plyometrics workout, bodyweight strength training while keeping a high heart rate.  If so, I'll bet it will work great.  That last 5-10 lbs also sucks. 

Quoting heart-n-dixie:

I think that is what happened too. I was doing so good and loosing consistently then it just stopped so I decided to take a break. I couldn't figure out what else to do that I would stick with so I just stopped for a few weeks but still tried to eat ok with proper portions and as healthy as I could. The last week or so I have been slowly getting back into my old routine and working out a day or two here and there but yesterday I did and hour run on my elliptical and a few other body weight workouts so well see what happens I'm hoping to shock my body by getting back into it since its bad a break maybe ill see results again. Thought about trying 30 day shred too along with my elliptical routine, why is the last 20 so dang stubborn.. I don't wanna give up I just wanna see more change😁

Quoting v2011:You may have hit a plateau.  Your body is too used to what you are doing.  You have to shock it a little.  Completely change your workout and you will see results again. 

heart-n-dixie
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:59 AM
It's a Jillian micheals video there's three levels it gets harder with each one u do. U use light weights some cardio and body weight exercises. I've only done the first level for a few days then stopped im gonna give it another try though I think.

Quoting v2011:

A plateau is so frustrating and demotivating.  What is 30 Day Shred?  Sounds like a plyometrics workout, bodyweight strength training while keeping a high heart rate.  If so, I'll bet it will work great.  That last 5-10 lbs also sucks. 

Quoting heart-n-dixie:

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:55 PM

NEVER stop...  jsut because the scale says you have not lost anything is no reason to quit. Prove it wrong and keep going!  find work outs that you love, then you will WANT to do them!

as far as food goes- even if it's not the best food, stick to your calories and when you can, eat better! I mean you can get frozen veggies and stuff pretty cheap...

if your head isn't in it...you won't make it. You need to remind yourself how far you've come, and ask yourself if it is really worth giving up on that little bit more...or worse, going back to where you were.  Trust me on this- I lost about 60- 65 lbs about 9 yrs ago, and then some things happened and I started gaining it back - I was ok the first 10 or so lbs,  then let it get to 20 and I thought FINE...but 2 yrs later, I had re gained ALL of it PLUS about 20 more...which led me to this time.  I will NOT give up, and I will NOT stop. Regardless of what food I can afford, or if I can pay for my zumba studio or not (there is always youtube and a neighborhood to walk around)  or the fact that the scale has not moved in about 2 months.  This time- it's coming off and staying that way!

don't rely on only a scale, or only a measuring tape or whatever. Do this for you, your sanity and your health :)

*also, 10 min is better than zero-but not much. Try to move for 30 min instead of ten...do it for a couple weeks, then up the time...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)