Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Eating at BMR, but not losing

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:44 AM
  • 7 Replies
My BMR is around 1690. I use MFP to track my food/exercise, and have my calorie goal set to 1700. I stay very close to this number whether I exercise for the day or not. I have an occasional cheat day where I may eat a couple hundred extra (but I try to exercise those days). I try to work out 4 or 5 times a week, and usually burn around 300-450 calories each time, sometimes up to 550. With all that, I haven't lost anything for about 1 1/2-2 months. Any advice? How do I start losing again? I am hoping to be down about 40 pounds by March when I will be a Maid of Honor in my friends wedding.
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Is 1690 your BMR or is that the number if calories u should eat after using the Harris Benedict formula and calculating in your exercise? If its your BMR and you're exercising then u might need to eat more. Also, look at what you eat. It's not just about calories. Eat as clean and healthy as possible and you'll see better results.
lydiaharper
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1690 is BMR. I will try to work on cleaning up my diet. We don't eat much processed food at home, but going out to eat ruins its. Lol
mcginnisc
by Claire on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

BMR: 1690

Maintenance while working out 1-3 days per week: 1690*1.375=2323

To lose 1 lb per week: 2323-500=1823

Maintenance while working out 3-5 days per week: 1690*1.55=2826

To lose 1 lb per week: 2826-500=2326

Now, my question is this: Is 1700 what MFP gave you or what you customized it for? If it is what MFP gave you, do you "eat back" exercise calories? 

If that is what you customized your MFP for, you are in an okay range, but you might have to either: 1.) take a good hard look at what you eat or 2.) switch up your workouts- length, intensity, what you are doing

If it is what MFP gave you and you are not eating back calories, you are undereating and need to increase calories a bit. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

lydiaharper
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1700 is what I customized it as since it was close to my BMR. I usually do not eat back many of my exercise calories, maybe between 50-100.

I will try to up/vary my workouts. I have been doing 30 day shred, ripped in 30, and Leslie Sansone 2 mile videos. No real schedule, just pick one and do it.
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm in the same boat- eating at bottom to middle of my range- working out 5-6 days a week 1-3 hours (usually 1 or 2)   and pretty much stuck since June...

KEEP going, maybe try changing your work outs or change up the calories a little...eventually, something HAS to give! 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I would switch up your workouts, look at what you're eating and maybe eat a little more.  I'm a huge advocate of more veggies and fruits:)

lydiaharper
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:38 PM
I'm not giving up, it is just a little frustrating to not see any change. I'm going to try to up my calories a little bit, and workout a little more.

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

I'm in the same boat- eating at bottom to middle of my range- working out 5-6 days a week 1-3 hours (usually 1 or 2)   and pretty much stuck since June...

KEEP going, maybe try changing your work outs or change up the calories a little...eventually, something HAS to give! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN