Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

You can lose weight while eating out..a small rant

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 12:52 PM
  • 7 Replies
I get so tired of my friends who want to lose weight saying that 'they can't stick to a diet'. They say they don't want to be deprived, or they are too busy and eat out too much.
While I agree that while on a busy schedule it can be hard to find time to cook..and yes it is hard to stick to a strict 'diet'. And yes feeling deprived stinks.
But what they are not realizing is that they don't have to be deprived, stick to a crazy diet or stop eating out entirely.
It is about moderation and good choices.

While I would recommend eating at home more, because it is healthier and cheaper. I would also like to point out that it is possible to lose weight while being on the the go. It is possible to lose weight while eating out.
I am down 66. Lbs and I have eaten out. Not a ton because we are on a tight budget. But when we have been busy and had to run a lot..I have done my fair share of fast food eating.
If you make good choices then you will see results on the scale or in the way your clothes fit.

It just kills me when people I know tell me those excuses listed above...they say oh I can't start my 'diet' this week...the county festival is in town..or it is my kids birthday etc.
I just wish people would realize that you don't have to stop living your life to lose weight and get healthier. You just have to make better choices.
OK..sorry, rant over.
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Sep. 18, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I def don't feel deprived while sticking to my fitness goals. I eat every three hours and I feel like I eat so much and still have success. I realized cutting out the fast food helps alot but is hard at first.... I realized how much money I can save sticking to my meals at home and no guess work with calories.  Plus people need to realize even pro athletes who compete have "cheat"... I call them treat meals. 

tiredmomfor2
by ~Lyndsay~ on Sep. 18, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Exactly what I mean Jersey. :)
I just get frustrated when I explain to them that they don't have to cut everything out, they don't have to sit at home and eat broccoli.
I personally have a treat everyday..because I love a little of something everyday. I allot it in the morning and then if I still want it that evening I have it.
I guess I just get frustrated when I try to explain that you don't have to give up everything. You can still go to a drive thru and grab a sandwich...but leave out the fries....Or swap the pop for unsweet tea. You know..just make healthier choices.
people want to view it as an all or nothing mentality, when it is just little changes that can make a big difference.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

I def don't feel deprived while sticking to my fitness goals. I eat every three hours and I feel like I eat so much and still have success. I realized cutting out the fast food helps alot but is hard at first.... I realized how much money I can save sticking to my meals at home and no guess work with calories.  Plus people need to realize even pro athletes who compete have "cheat"... I call them treat meals. 

cj123573
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I totally agree!  I'm trying to take this into my own perspective.  It's not an all or nothing deal.  Just because it's my kid's birthday doesn't mean that it's a free for all on eating.  Make some smarter choices in the morning and daytime and then I can have some cake in the evening.  There is always something going on, using it as an excuse is exactly that, an excuse.  Weight and fitness level need constant maintenance.  One poor choice isn't going to break you, just like one good choice doesn't make you. 

tiredmomfor2
by ~Lyndsay~ on Sep. 18, 2013 at 2:01 PM
You are right that it just boils down to excuses. I guess that is what frustrates me the most. I used to have an excuse for everything. It just breaks my heart to see these people I know and care about making excuses and just making it harder on themselves later.

Quoting cj123573:

I totally agree!  I'm trying to take this into my own perspective.  It's not an all or nothing deal.  Just because it's my kid's birthday doesn't mean that it's a free for all on eating.  Make some smarter choices in the morning and daytime and then I can have some cake in the evening.  There is always something going on, using it as an excuse is exactly that, an excuse.  Weight and fitness level need constant maintenance.  One poor choice isn't going to break you, just like one good choice doesn't make you. 

VeggieRunnerMom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

True "dieting" only works for a short time anyway really?

Life happens. Cravings happen. Bad days happen. Celebrations happen.

One needs to learn HOW to do all these things while living a healthy lifestyle :)

Which by your post you already KNOW that....just thought I would be another to confirm your thoughts! 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I LOVE your rant!  I SOOOO agree!

v2011
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

People don't want to take responsiblily for their own lives, so they make excuses.  Of course it isn't easy, most things in life that are worth it aren't. 

What gets me is, I am problably the biggest procrastinator you will ever meet.  I get lazy and I am really good at excuses.  But I still lost nearly 28% of my body weight.  It can be done once a person decides no more excuses. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)