Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Heartbreaking: Overweight 2-Year-Old Undergoes Weight-Loss Surgery

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:23 PM
  • 6 Replies

Overweight 2-Year-Old Undergoes Weight-Loss Surgery (PHOTOS)

by Julie Ryan Evans

2-year-old weight loss surgeryChildhood obesity is a problem, no doubt, but there has got to be a better way than subjecting toddlers to weight loss surgery. Unfortunately, that's happening as young as the age of 2 now, and it's heartbreaking and outrageous that it is.

A boy in Saudi Arabia has become the world's youngest weight loss surgery patient. According to news.com.au, the boy had a body mass index of 44.1 before the surgery, putting him well over the healthy range of 18.5 to 24.9. Doctors say he wasn't suffering from any "hereditary or genetic causes of obesity," but his weight was causing other physical problems such as sleep apnea.

Cleary something needed to be done, and his parents reportedly tried two attempts at dieting. One at 14 months, according to the New York Post, resulted in a 17-pound weight gain, but it's not known whether they stuck to the diet after that. When the boy hit 72 pounds, his family and doctors decided surgery was the answer.

It did work. He was followed for two years after the surgery, and doctors reported that his BMI went down to 24. So that's great, but the extreme method -- which comes with its own risks (both known and unknown) -- is just disturbing.

2-year-old weight loss surgery

He was just 2 --that's before many children learn to talk, or skip, or even use the potty. Did they just give up on teaching him how to eat healthy and exercise? I'm sure they thought they were doing it to help him lead a healthy life, but they simply could not have exhausted all the means do so naturally by the time he was 2.

Sadly, he's not the first toddler to undergo the surgery either. There are reports of a 5-year-old boy from Saudi Arabia and a 4-year-old from India who have also undergone the surgery. I fear we're going to see more and more cases too.

In a report in the International Journal of Surgery Case Reports, doctors wrote:

The results suggest that LSG (laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy) can be a safe and effective alternative for weight control in morbidly obese children even of less than 3 years of age. However more studies and long-term follow up is essential for monitoring the growth and development of children subjected to LSG.

Really? A safe and effective alternative?! Are we really going to allow parents to take the easy way and put their children at risk by putting them under the knife instead of trying to instill healthy habits? We simply can't give up that early.

Do you think going to these extremes is ever necessary in a child so young?

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:20 PM
2 moms liked this

This is very disturbing.  This child will now face a lifetime of medical issues.

This is from a FB group I belong to, and they were discussing GB surgery:

Gastric bypasses do not create thin people. They create starving obese people who now have permanently destroyed their digestive systems so that they may never be able to properly digest healthy foods ever again. Ever.

GB is NOT at all the easy way out at all. The complications can be life threatening, the damage can never be undone, and I have to be completely honest here... I have a never ever witnessed anyone who has kept their weight off long term. The actual long term success rates are quite dismal, actually, and the surgeons will never tell you that.

There always seems to be a steadfast course that you will see after someone has this surgery. You always see a drastic weight loss at first, and the person looks good. Then, the weight loss slows but continues and the person begins to look haggard, exhausted and grey with hanging skin. At this point they have probably actually lost as much muscle as they have fat, and their bodies are beginning to go into panic mode.

Some actually have a HIGHER body fat percentage at this point in the game than before the surgery due to the enormous amount of muscle loss because of the abject starvation. At the end, due to the change in body composition (not for the better), the body simply begins to regain the weight and no amount of starving or exercise will control it. As a matter of fact, those two things will make it patently worse.

This is NOT a situation that you want to be in at all. The surgery can't be undone and more often than not the very medical personnel who were so excited to sell you the surgery will have no clue as to how to help you. When they realize that they don't know what to do, they will then blame the patient for eating too much and not exercising enough, even in patients who are starving and too weak to do much. I see this with my clients all the time. It is beyond disheartening when these people come to me for help AFTER the damage is done, rather than coming to me before.

You are making the right choice by not having the surgery. In about 3 to 5 years from now, you will see the true results of the surgery. Have a read through this website... it is a personal testimonial...

http://arkansasunshine.tripod.com/testimony/testimony.html

haileys_mommy06
by Jenn on Sep. 20, 2013 at 4:50 PM

That is so sad =(

tiredmomfor2
by ~Lyndsay~ on Sep. 20, 2013 at 5:34 PM
I'm just not sure how this child could get this big without an underlying medical condition. Unless the parents are sitting under the child shoving food at home all day...and that still seems like a stretch.
.Peaches.
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:27 AM

I saw this earlier on FB, and....wow.

He's still growing and devloping, what kind of effect is that going to have on a devloping body? I can't be anything good, I imagine.

SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree. At 2 yrs old he can't walk in the kitchen and fix himself tons of food. What happens when he stuffs himself again and gains all the weight back?? So sad

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

I'm just not sure how this child could get this big without an underlying medical condition. Unless the parents are sitting under the child shoving food at home all day...and that still seems like a stretch.
healthymom46
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 5:11 AM

I belong to "naturalnews" and read the newsletter on this story by Mike Adams. Mike Adams is well known in the "health & wellness" community. Mike Adams had nothing good to say about the parents nor the medical doctors. This is insane. How can they encourage the parents for this type of surgery. ? This kids life was not saved. He was put at high risk for another trail of medical problems. UGH! This truly is sad :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)