Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Clean eating..

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:40 PM
  • 14 Replies

What is it really? You just eat fruits, veggies, and meat? I have been trying to do this and I am starving!! How do you do it? Do you cut out all bread? just wondering how it works/what the rules are. Thanks for the info.

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rockinmomto2
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:44 PM

No, clean eating is eating minimally processed (or non processed) goods. You can make your own bread, or buy it from a bakery that only uses basic ingredients. You can make your own pasta. Most people shoot for eating clean 80% of the time (or have 80% clean foods in their home), while the other 20% is not "clean". 

noahscott
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:57 PM

wow. no wonder i'm not doing well. I can't make my own noodles or bread and don't have time to do it either.. I will just stick to eating mostly veggies i guess.. thanks anyway.

Quoting rockinmomto2:

No, clean eating is eating minimally processed (or non processed) goods. You can make your own bread, or buy it from a bakery that only uses basic ingredients. You can make your own pasta. Most people shoot for eating clean 80% of the time (or have 80% clean foods in their home), while the other 20% is not "clean". 


rockinmomto2
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:27 PM

If you have grocery stores like Wegmans or Whole Foods, go there and check out the stuff they have there. They'll have minimally processed stuff there.

Quoting noahscott:

wow. no wonder i'm not doing well. I can't make my own noodles or bread and don't have time to do it either.. I will just stick to eating mostly veggies i guess.. thanks anyway.

Quoting rockinmomto2:

No, clean eating is eating minimally processed (or non processed) goods. You can make your own bread, or buy it from a bakery that only uses basic ingredients. You can make your own pasta. Most people shoot for eating clean 80% of the time (or have 80% clean foods in their home), while the other 20% is not "clean". 



noahscott
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM

no.. i live in a very rural area. We have Giant Eagle and Walmart about 30 minutes away. lol.

Quoting rockinmomto2:

If you have grocery stores like Wegmans or Whole Foods, go there and check out the stuff they have there. They'll have minimally processed stuff there.

Quoting noahscott:

wow. no wonder i'm not doing well. I can't make my own noodles or bread and don't have time to do it either.. I will just stick to eating mostly veggies i guess.. thanks anyway.

Quoting rockinmomto2:

No, clean eating is eating minimally processed (or non processed) goods. You can make your own bread, or buy it from a bakery that only uses basic ingredients. You can make your own pasta. Most people shoot for eating clean 80% of the time (or have 80% clean foods in their home), while the other 20% is not "clean". 




audmom1218
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this
We eat tons of veggies and some fruit and meat. Other staples are chickpeas, lentils, oatmeal, quinoa and brown rice. I try to avoid anything with ingredients I can't pronounce or that aren't good (preservatives, sweeteners etc). It took a little weaning (about 3 months) before we were ok with no bread. Now I don't miss it.

This was my day today:

Breakfast: natural peanut butter on a banana

2nd breakfast:plain Greek yogurt with grapes and homemade granola

Lunch: leftover chili

Afternoon snack: almonds

Supper: venison and carrots in curry sauce over brown rice

Snack: I'll probably have popcorn or carrots with tzatiki (cucumber yogurt dip).

I eat whenever I'm hungry.
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Sep. 26, 2013 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I actually order a lot of food and baking products from Amazon. They have a bigger selection than you'd think and it's way cheaper.

I just posted a totally clean pumpkin bread recipe in here yesterday. There is way more to eat than you think.

Eating clean means different things to different people. To me you aren't on board with the clean lifestyle if you eat wheat, that includes the bread and pasta. Wheat is the dirtiest, most genetically modified substance you can put in your body, with corn a close second. It serves no purpose in your dietary needs. It's filler. All it accomplishes is a blood sugar spike that triggers your insulin, it all turns straight into fat.


Quoting noahscott:

no.. i live in a very rural area. We have Giant Eagle and Walmart about 30 minutes away. lol.

Quoting rockinmomto2:

If you have grocery stores like Wegmans or Whole Foods, go there and check out the stuff they have there. They'll have minimally processed stuff there.

Quoting noahscott:

wow. no wonder i'm not doing well. I can't make my own noodles or bread and don't have time to do it either.. I will just stick to eating mostly veggies i guess.. thanks anyway.

Quoting rockinmomto2:

No, clean eating is eating minimally processed (or non processed) goods. You can make your own bread, or buy it from a bakery that only uses basic ingredients. You can make your own pasta. Most people shoot for eating clean 80% of the time (or have 80% clean foods in their home), while the other 20% is not "clean". 




childofGod995
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Clean eating is a diet program based on the idea that the best way to eat is to abundantly enjoy whole foods -- that is, foods as close to their natural state and you can get them. This means eating fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins instead of pre-packaged, processed foods or fast food. Clean eating is also committed to replacing saturated fats with healthy fats. Many on the plan don't count calories, but instead trust in good quality, healthy food.

Step 1
Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Choose fresh, unprocessed foods over canned or processed products. Clean eating enthusiasts believe that we were meant to survive on fresh fruits and vegetables and that processing them reduces their nutritional value and fiber content and adds salt, fat, sugar and chemicals. Choose fruit instead of fruit juice and if you must pick a processed vegetable, frozen is always better than canned.

Step 2
Balance protein and complex carbohydrates. Incorporate whole grains like brown rice or millet over processed grains. Eat lean meats, and choose organic or grass fed meats when possible as these foods are usually clean of pesticides, hormones and additives. Grill, broil or steam your meats rather than frying.

Step 3
Avoid sodas and high calorie, sugary drinks. Follow the tenant of clean eating that aims to remove added sugars from the diet. Choose water or tea for your beverages, or juice your own fruits and vegetables and enjoy them without added sugars or preservatives.

Step 4
Trade bad fats for good fats. One of the most important aspects of clean eating is removing saturated fats from the diet. Lower your saturated fat intake by avoiding fast food, choosing lean cuts of meat and getting your fat calories from foods like nuts and fatty fish.

Step 5
Eat several small meals to keep blood sugar stable and to avoid overeating. Choose snacks like nuts, low-fat or fat free dairy and fruits and vegetables. Note that some people who live a clean eating lifestyle don't eat dairy products while others adapt clean eating to a vegetarian lifestyle.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 27, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I agree, and don't forget to add soy to that list!

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:


Eating clean means different things to different people. To me you aren't on board with the clean lifestyle if you eat wheat, that includes the bread and pasta. Wheat is the dirtiest, most genetically modified substance you can put in your body, with corn a close second. It serves no purpose in your dietary needs. It's filler. All it accomplishes is a blood sugar spike that triggers your insulin, it all turns straight into fat.



.strawberry.
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 9:47 AM

There are a lot of personal preferences to clean eating. Some people still eat breads and grains. It's really about eating as minimally processed as possible. 

Goodbye.BlueSky
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Look at the ingredient list on the things you buy. The less, the better.  You can eat breads and grains...and maybe add some beans. Get dried ones instead of canned. Adding those things into your diet will help you not feel so hungry. I shop at Walmart, so it's harder to go completely clean unless you want to start making your own breads and pastas...you can get buckwheat and whole wheat flour at walmart.

It has helped me so far eating 6 times a day, 200-300 calories each time. You don't feel as hungry that way, either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)