Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Why Can't I lose Weight without

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 1:35 AM
  • 21 Replies
I hate...no i despise counting calories. I have stopped losing weight or working out because of it SEVERAL times. I feel to boxed in, smothered by how many i can or cant have that i have this deep feeling to rebel.

Cant i lose weight the healthy way WITHOUT counting calories? Cant i keep a food diary i stead?
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 1:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emtgirl885
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:24 AM
2 moms liked this
You can do a food diary. Getting healthy is supposed to be fun, so if you do not feel like counting calories, then try doing something else. The rule about eating is to portion control.
mcginnisc
by Claire on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:26 AM
2 moms liked this

You don't have to count calories. Some people like to do it, some don't. You have to find what works for you. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

housewifehell
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:49 AM
3 moms liked this

You can loose weight without counting calories!!!  I know the feeling well that is super frustrating I used to keep a food diary on Livestrong.com and I found that as I would get to that 100 or so left for the day and I would either obsessively think about food and make myself crazy or I would eat like a bite or two of something I wanted and that would put me over my limit which would make me say oh well and eat more. It has taken a lot of mental work but I learned how to eat "clean" removing chemicals and other unnatural products from my diet (because they arent food) and I have lost a ton of weight (250 lbs over all). I am also not the biggest exercise person but I began simple stretching exercises to get a little more flexible and that just kind of morphed into yoga which is the absolute best thing for me.  I know its not for everyone but if you want to loose weight and not count and do all the other things that I tired this works well and its simple.   Also I stopped using "dinner plates" and began using saucers to eat my meals off of and that made it easy to keep my portions a much better size than what I had been eating which would at times be as much as 2 pizzas in one meal.

audmom1218
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:54 AM
2 moms liked this
I used to hate it, but I found out that's because I was starving myself and eating far below my bmr. Once I found my bmr and the RANGE of calories I should be eating it got a lot easier. I actually had a hard time getting to my calorie goal in the beginning because all the starvation diets in the past messed with my metabolism. Now I'm hungry a lot, but when I get hungry I eat.

What calorie goal have you used in the past?
goldpandora
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I strongly recommend Weightwatchers. Their online program works great. Tons of information and extremely simple (no hunger, no frustration - this, plus the fact that it works, is why it's so popular). IT also takes account of the exercise you do (if you want it to) Maybe try a month of it and see?

srehman
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Here my rule of thumb have only 1/4 plate of meat and the rest veggies. And water lots of water. Snack on healthy snacks.... Nothing processed or out of a box....do nuts and fresh fruits...make a smoothie even. Then you shouldn't have to count anything and should hit your goal...also either eat. 5-6 small meals or 3 meals and 2 snacks. It's taken me a long time to learn this....but I like counting calories and if I go over it's okay I will just do an extra half mile or mile on my run/walk no biggie. :) set backs happen, but they shouldn't stop you. Hope this helps :)
roxysmommy
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I lost over 50 lbs without counting calories. I'm still maintaining my weight loss without counting as well. You just have to be aware of your body's signals and eat as clean as you're able.

atlmom2
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:03 PM
I have lost over 20. I count fat grams and just estimate calories.

Quoting roxysmommy:

I lost over 50 lbs without counting calories. I'm still maintaining my weight loss without counting as well. You just have to be aware of your body's signals and eat as clean as you're able.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomofHDFandNWF
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I have found that it definitely helped in the beginning to track calories and keep a food and exercise log - if nothing else, it made me accountable for what was going in my mouth and a lot more aware of how good (or, in most instances - bad) the things I loved to eat really were.  It also helped me become a lot more aware of my portion sizes. 

Now that I have been doing this for 6 months and have hit a maintenance phase, I have laxxed on my logging.  I have become much more aware of how to make myself the correct portions of food and how healthy/unhealthy they are.  I have probably 10 or so tried and true "go-to" lunches that I make.  If I miss a day, I am not going to flip out - but, I do like to use it to still hold myself accountable.

A huge eye opener for me was the first time I went to Olive Garden after I started tracking my food.  I was dumb-founded by the nutrional "value" of what I typically eat.  If you love Olive Garden, were you aware that an OG breadstick has:

140 calories, 2 grams of fat, 370 grams of sodium, 26 grams of carbs, and 5 grams of sugar?

When people ask me how I have lost the weight, that is typically the example I use when making my "argument" about food tracking.  Most people respond by saying "Holy moly!  I eat like 4 of those things when I go there!"

But of course, this is just my 2c worth....  If you can find something that works better for you, then definitely do that instead.

KCisPaulsMom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I cannot stand counting calories either, so I watch the kind of foods I eat and the portions. However, this does limit me from eating a lot of startchy foods, especially ones that contain too much sugar or salt. BUT... I find myself in a more sane frame of mind and losing weight...while still not easy... isn't as frustrating.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)