Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

struggles, began last month in a weight-loss journey

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 3:23 PM
  • 9 Replies

so  a month ago i began my weight loss journey, having been pretty dang sedentary and the started walking outside or using my gazzelle edge thing.

we generally eat healthy, we buy ground turkey instead of  hamburger. however while i love food period and il eat what i want to, alot of times i dont feel hungry, i often "forget" to eat until dinner time. i know thats really bad. to go most the day only on 1-2 cups of coffee from the morning. but yeah i struggle to eat breakfast and lunch.

whats my progress been? well ive stuggled but ive been working on at least  trying to get to 1200 calories that  is alotted on my, myfitnesspal profile. i have it set to work out 3x a week for 30 mins but ive been doing more than that, also aim is to lose 2 lbs per week. soooooooo its been a month since i started and ive lost a total of ..............14 lbs. yet the last week i havent lost  :(

i have noticed that at the end of the day i do feel more of a good tired  than a crappy tired . i have been extreamly stressed, and had a freak out after my period was a week late all tests were BFN , and if finnaly showed up friday. i am hoping it was just the stress all  month plus the sudden increase in activity level and the weight lost by that that threw off my cycle.

so this is my journey thus far, my top goal weight is 150 lbs, by well whenever i get to it lol, however long that takes me. lost 14 lbs in a month, and am currently at 211 lbs

by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
atlmom2
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 4:49 PM
14lbs in a month is a LOT of weight to lose in a month. Your body is playing catch up. I find eating 4 small meals and 2 or 3 snacks keeps my metabolism even all day. I am happy with 1/2 a pound a week. I have lost 20 lbs in 4 1/2 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:54 PM

You are sad because you didn't lose 1 week of the month after already losing 14 pounds?

Wow.  I'm sorry you get disappointed so easily.

Stop stressing about 1 week.

starburst1680
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Your monthly visitor can cause a temporary gain on the scale. 14 lbs is a great start.

audmom1218
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Woah! 1200 calories your body is most definitely starving! I highly recommend having your bmr calculated here since MFP is notoriously low! Typically you lose weight really fast but can't maintain it cuz your body thinks it's starving.

To calculate your BMR we need age, weight, height, how often you're working out and whether or not you're nursing.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Quoting CLEKate:

You are sad because you didn't lose 1 week of the month after already losing 14 pounds?

Wow.  I'm sorry you get disappointed so easily.

Stop stressing about 1 week.

Keep in mind, the OP is just starting out, and the majority of people have the same sentiments. When someone sees a huge loss and then doesn't see anything, it *can* be frustrating...especially when someone is just beginning their journey. Also, the OP is over 200 lbs, so she is going to lose much faster than most people so not seeing a loss in a week is going to be unusal. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

mcginnisc
by Claire on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:23 AM

OP- 

1200 is way too low for you. I can do your BMR for you. I need your age, height, weight, the number of days per week you workout and a reminder that you are BFing. 

I will elaborate more later. I have a pretty busy week ahead of me, so I will try to check back in a few hours, but be patient with me this week. :-) 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

lovelychaos13
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:43 AM

im betting that most of that 14 lbs lost is water weight, mfp did have me at 1300 calories until  it hit 14 lbs.

i have a high bmi, im just 5'2''  , 28 yrs old , i have aimed at 3 workouts a week but sometimes i do up to 5.

i also have been cheating in a way, i began taking  stacker3xplc, i dont take them everyday, but when i do i dont go over 2 per day. im also taking gummie prenatals, i think they are better than most vitamins with some stuff.

if BFing is breastfeeding sadly im not,  its coming up on the anniversery of  emma's stillbirth. on the 7th it will be a year, having alot of trouble managing my emotions the last few days   have been thinking about her and missing her so badly.

i have lost weight in the past, several years ago i went from 250-150 in just under 4 months, back then i was taking stacker3xplc daily 2x, but was also working in a warehouse on my feet alot with work but was not doing any workouts outside of that. i began feeling very jittery hence why i stopped taking them, but then i had to leave my job and back to sahm, the weight crept back up to 185, then me and my dh  conceived emma, we had planned to homeirth with midwife, we went to finnaly get an ultrasound at 38 weeks and there was no heartbeat. the very experianced tech could not even make sense of the birth defect she had, it was extreamly rare and after testing  me then dh it came out its genetic from him. hes a carrier. i came out of my cloud of greif about 2 months ago dont know why i snapped out of it, but i began feeling better, taking joy in things again. but this past week  has been rough on both me and dh. i weighed in at 225  when i was 38 weeks with her and fluctuated between 230-225. i dont know if i have any thyroid condition, i didnt at the time of the stillbirth, the period being a week late  made us consider i might be developing poly cystic ovaries syndrome, as my last period was 2 days late. we cant afford for me to see a dr, i dont have insurance, heck dh has insurance but we cant afford to use it.

dh has also been working on losing weight himself, he started at the begining of the year weighing 395, .................and hes lost 70 lbs

Quoting mcginnisc:

OP- 

1200 is way too low for you. I can do your BMR for you. I need your age, height, weight, the number of days per week you workout and a reminder that you are BFing. 

I will elaborate more later. I have a pretty busy week ahead of me, so I will try to check back in a few hours, but be patient with me this week. :-) 

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 3:03 PM

14 in one month is AMAZING!  Good job :)

there will be weeks wehre you don't lose. It just is the way of the journey...just KEEP going.  Also, make sure you are eating back your work out calories- 

I have avoided the scale for 2 months because I hit a point where I'd gone down like a lb in 5 weeks ...it happens, BUT I keep working out and sticking to my calories- at some point, something's gotta give! haha

It's normal to lose more in the beginning and then have it slow down too.  

hang in there and keep up the good work

audmom1218
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Mfp is seriously underestimating for you! Were the same age and height. You've already found that the pills don't help. Diet and lifestyle change do! You're on the right track.

And I'm so sorry for your loss. That's a lot to come to terms with!!

I calculate my bmr/calorie goals slightly different than the others here. I use the fat2fit method which is basically to eat at the calorie range to maintain your goal weight.

Your BMR is 1733. So whichever method you chose, that is always your "DO NOT FALL BELOW" number. Think of that as the rent your body charges to stay in it!

Giving uou a goal weight if 150lbs my fat2 fit method gives you a target calorie goal of 2274 for moderately active (3-5 days/week). And if you want to increase your deficit they ok working out a little more and dropping that by 200 cal in the beginning.

The other method of calculating:
To maintain current weight Working out 3-5 days/week 1733x1.55= 2686.
To lose 1lb a week= 2686-500= 2186.
So your ideal range is 1733-2186. But a 2000-2100 cal goal would be perfect.

I would recalculate this number every 5-10lb lost. Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)