Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Fall Family Fun Challenge Day 4: Go On a Leaf-Hunting Hike!

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:16 AM
  • 54 Replies

Welcome to day 4 of the Healthy Fall Family Fun Challenge!

Go On a Leaf-Hunting Hike!
Find a local trail that covers territory with plenty of deciduous trees and give each child a paper sandwich bag to collect leaves they find on the way. Bring along a tree-ID guide (or use a smartphone app) to point out the different species of trees along the path. Turn the dried leaves into a collage or other crafty project when you get home.

Get Cooking: Before the hike, make a batch of healthy trail mix and pack individual servings in re-sealable bags to snack on along the way.

What's your favorite way to enjoy fall foliage?

falling_leaves One member who signs up for our Healthy Fall Family Fun Challenge and replies to all 5 of the daily activities will be chosen at random to WIN a $50 gift card!

Click here to sign up:
Join Our Healthy Fall Family Fun Challenge & Enter to WIN!

by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pinkcsmtlgy
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I like to sit on my porch and look at the leaves. It looks like a big quilt.

MelanieMans
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:32 AM
This will be easy, there are plenty of places to go hiking around here and that is my favorite way to enjoy fall
cowgirls10181
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:32 AM
We went on a leaf hunt last year! Picked some nice ones and then mailed them off to family which doesnt get to see fall colors, it was an awesome simple gift.
Irishmommy860
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Living in New England we get some of the best foliage sites. We like to take long drives around the state and just enjoy the scenery

goddess99
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:40 AM

It's so beautiful here this time of year, my dd already has leaves she's pressing. We love going for rides and walks in the woods.

daintyturbomom
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:41 AM
When the kids were smaller, we did this all the time. Now that they are older we just have a contest while we are raking our big yard with 12 trees, who ever finds the biggest leaf!!!
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:41 AM
I love going for a drive!!! Love the app idea!
ashbash1616
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:41 AM
The pumpkin patch we are going to has some trails around there! Cant wait to go we grew pie pumpkins but we want a few big ones to carve for the boys. So they will be doing a lot of walking today. And with this idea to find leaves it will be even more fun! They love collecting rocks, acorns & leaves.
FitGamerGirl
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:06 AM

We did manage to find one fallen gold oak leaf two days ago at the park. It is perfect and pinned to the corkboard till I can put it in a shadowbox. 

AspensMama1537
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Those are some fun ideas! We like to take a drive up the canyons to see the leaves change.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN