Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Scoliosis ..

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:52 AM
  • 5 Replies

Had severe scoliosis and was diagnosed when I was 15, had surgery a very short 2 months later. The Dr's said it was one of the worst cases theyve seen. I have rods and screws in my back. Im 25 now and its affecting my life. My back hurts constantly. Something pulls in my left shoulder a lot and I get the muscle balled up in my shoulder and lower back. Heat helped alot when I was a teen and loved going tanning. I no longer tan (after going everyday for a long time) I finally grew some sense on how harmful it REALLY is and for what?? Dark skin? lol And massaging helps but only so much and I cant get my bf to want to massage me everyday either. I went to the Dr last summer, they told me I have arthritis in my back now. :( Not news you want to hear when youre 24! They wanted me to go through physical therapy (again, I did pt for a long time after my surgery) for 3x's a week and for like 3 months.. well Im a SAHM and I live 45 mins away from my family and friends and have nobody to babysit my 5yo son like that for me while I would go, so I didnt. :( They told me that AFTER I did the pt they would get me started on injections for my back, but since I never went to pt that never happened.

My back hurts daily. Summertime isnt so bad (because the heat helps) but it still hurts sometimes, winter and colder months/when it rains, its downright terrible!! :( It shoots pain down both my legs all the way to my calves and my hips/pelvic area hurt from it too.

I was jw if theres anyone else out there thats also gone through this surgery/scoliosis and what you do for relief. Im thinking about trying to see if I can get myself into a chiropractor, but Idk if theres really anything they can do for me, the metal is all down my back. I have a scar from my neck all the way down and an additional one on the side from a bone graph also from this surgery. It just seems the older I get the more its affecting my life. I want to go back to school and finish my degree eventually and I want to go back to work eventually (Ive been a SAHM for the past 3 yrs) but with the way my back is now, I think I may have to change my major and go into something that will be better for my condition.

I just know I at least need to get some sort of pain management with this. Because its def not getting any better like this and Im tired of dumping tylenol and ibuprofen into my gut for the pain in back.. :/

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
ms_aleah
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Hey

This may or may not help.  My son has Scoliosis so been doing a lot of research.  I have heard of a few adults who had surgery as kids but then went back and had it again as adults.  They do some removal of rods and change for screws and such and had great results.  Some just have to go in and remove scar tissue.  If I were you I would find a person that specializes in Scoliosis like at a university hospital and just get opinions like asking if could do surgery again what would they do and see if anything possible.  I am last person to suggest surgery as I had one that did more harm than good but the stories I read the adults did get relief and in most cases it just seemed they had more modern versions of the surgery done. 

Just a thought.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 19, 2013 at 6:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group mama!  I'm sorry to hear things have been so rough for you.  I honestly don't have experience with this but wanted to send you hugs!

AydensMommy1008
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Awesome, thanks :)

Quoting ms_aleah:

Hey

This may or may not help.  My son has Scoliosis so been doing a lot of research.  I have heard of a few adults who had surgery as kids but then went back and had it again as adults.  They do some removal of rods and change for screws and such and had great results.  Some just have to go in and remove scar tissue.  If I were you I would find a person that specializes in Scoliosis like at a university hospital and just get opinions like asking if could do surgery again what would they do and see if anything possible.  I am last person to suggest surgery as I had one that did more harm than good but the stories I read the adults did get relief and in most cases it just seemed they had more modern versions of the surgery done. 

Just a thought.

mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 1:44 PM
I agree with the suggestion of getting back into the dr. And start searching for a babysitter so you can go to your appointments.

I had scoliosis as a teen but was prescribed exercises to help, which apparently did. I've worked personal injury cases where surgery recipients were injured and did see that some experienced relief after the surgery. But, it all depends on what YOU require.
I have a pinched nerve in my brachial plexus that can cause me immense pain, limited mobility and use of my right arm and hand, and nausea (from the pain). Heat helps - but after researching the surgery and deciding the risks were too high, I went to PT. I go every year for a week to check that the exercises I do are still working and to learn more. I have found that if I keep up with my exercises and am mindful of my limitations (which have decreased!!!), I can go a very long time with mild pain/uncomfortableness. It does get worse in the winter, but considering I can now use my hand and have even gotten back into the gym - I'm okay with it.
Hopefully you get some relief soon.
ms_aleah
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this

If I can find the sites I found these "adult second surgery" stories on I will post the link here but it won't be in the near future as I need to take a break from my research regarding my son to focus on research for my actual schooling. 

Best Wishes!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)