Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is anyone GMO free?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:09 PM
  • 5 Replies

I have to be honest. I really didn't and still don't know much about GMO foods.

From what I have been told by friends who are GMO free, they are really bad for you. Then they go into a big long winded sceintific explanation that leaves me daydreaming. 

So for those in the know, what exactly is GMO and why is it bad for you? Apparently a lot of foods have this so why are we just hearing about it now? Or maybe that is just me.

Can someone please enlighten or educate me in a simply way that I can understand. And are you GMO free and if this stuff is so bad, how can I make this transition?

Sorry for all the questions, but seriously this is all my neighbors talk about and my friend looked on in horror when she was over yesterday while I was putting away my groceries. 

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

GMO foods have been genetically modified unnaturally (not to be confused with hybridization which is when varieties are improved/changed by pollination from another variety.)  Their DNA has been altered so that they can be insect-resistant, produce more, grow better.  Testing proves that GMO foods cause many serious health issues including cancer, yet these foods are allowed to be sold to consumers.

Processed foods are typically chock-full of GMO corn, soy, or wheat.  Right now those are the worst offenders.  Keep in mind, too, that stockyards and dairy farms and chicken farms typically feed their animals GM feed.  That means meat and dairy milk you consume comes from those places unless you buy from someone you know feeds the animals a natural diet. 

michiganmom116
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:23 AM
2 moms liked this

We don't eat grains.  That alone eliminates most of the GM foods from our diet. 

We eat meat that has been raised on pasture.

We rarely consume milk, and I do have milk from pastured dairy cows available.

I have a garden.  I use only non-GMO, heritage seeds.  I do not use chemicals on my garden.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I don't know much about it...but Rhonda always has great info!  Good luck!

momlovestorun
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:13 PM
I try to avoid them but am doubtful I do very well.
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Look for products that carry the blue "certified non-GMO" label.

Quoting momlovestorun:

I try to avoid them but am doubtful I do very well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)