Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Atkins diet

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:29 PM
  • 14 Replies

So i saw a diet plan by this guy named Jorge Cruz called The 100 where you only count your sugar calories and loose all this weight. Im very interested in buying this guys book but from what ive read its basically the 2013 Version of the Atkins diet. Have you guys tried this Atkins diet before? How did it work out for you?

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 7:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Tried it for 2-3 days with hubbby. 

Couldn't deal with it-  I LIKE my pasta...and meat is expensive

I'm much happier just counting calories and eating a variety of things

atlmom2
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Sounds like another fad diet. Not life sustaining.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
D.KINGDAVIS
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 5:52 PM
I tried atkins for like 12 days and lost 9lbs. tried it again for 5 days and lost 5 pounds. it was hard for me to keep it up cause carb smart food are pricey.
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Atkins works! It's not easy at first, you have to totally retrain yourself when it comes to eating, but no one can dispute the results. It's a great jump start for a paleo/primal lifestyle as it breaks you of your sugar and wheat dependency. Phase 1 of Atkins is not a long term sustainable diet, but it's a great start.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Never tried it...good luck!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree.

It is VERY hard to get through the carb/sugar withdrawal, and it takes someone with a lot of willpower to stick with it, but it's great for kickstarting weight loss.

If you plan to start this, be aware that you can't go right back to eating a carb heavy diet if you want to keep the weight off.  You're going to kick your body into ketosis (a fat-burning state) with this diet, and ketosis doesn't shut off all that easily.  If you go back to eating a lot of carbs again, your body will store the excess carbs (it won't burn all of them) as weight.  Many, many people make the mistake of using a low carb diet to lose weight, then go right back to the way they were eating before....and gain some weight back.  I'm with ReadWriteLuv in that I plan to stick with paleo/primal (low carb but higher carb than this extreme low carb diet) for the rest of my life.  It's a great way to eat and enjoy tasty healthy real foods without worrying about calories or health or weight.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Atkins works! It's not easy at first, you have to totally retrain yourself when it comes to eating, but no one can dispute the results. It's a great jump start for a paleo/primal lifestyle as it breaks you of your sugar and wheat dependency. Phase 1 of Atkins is not a long term sustainable diet, but it's a great start.

Rhonda

lizard3731
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Couldn't do it.  I love bread and pasta.  I can cut back on them, but don't think I could eliminate them.  I'm not a huge meat fan, either.

wahmx3
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this

personally, I want to do something that I can sustain for a lifetime, so that means no diets or sharply eliminating/cutting back any food group.

momlovestorun
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Nope. Not for me.
Hollybriann
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 10:45 PM
I lost 50 lbs on it one summer. But gained it back plus some when I came off of it. If you don't plan on continuing eating that way, then wouldn't suggest it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)