Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

What can I do other then crunches to lose the belly fat?

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Replies (11-15):
drsdolphin
by New Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I have cut pop out of my diet. Diet pop actually caused a lot of bloating in me. I increased my water intake. I am also having an issue with belly fat. I was hoping my ab-lounger would help.

Hadadat
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Holding a plank can help with core muscles and strength which in turns helps everything else. Start small then work up...

BeachbodyMom77
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Have you ever heard of Hip Hop Abs?  I just finished it a month ago along with Shakeology and my belly looks better than before 2 kids!!  It is a 2 month program, but tons of fun!  Let me know if you are interested and I can help set you up.  I am starting a challenge group in a few weeks - eveyone supports and holds each other accountable to help you get thru it!  It is awesome! :)

X_Patriot_Mom_X
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:34 AM

planks are really good!!! burpees also!! amp up the cardio if you're like most people you store fat on the outside of your muscles (you have a flabby tummy) you dont really want to work out the muscles under there until you know what you're working with. http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennifercohen/2012/03/27/6-ways-to-burn-your-belly-fat-fast/

AmyLynn5398
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:57 AM

She is right on, in fact the only way to lose belly fat is cardio.  You want to work up to 30 minutes at your target heart rate.  220 - your age, multiply .70.  Or doing cardio until it is difficult to hold a conversation but you can maintain for a duration.  You can begin by taking walks and increase your time every week.  Once you get to 30 minutes you want to work up to 45 minutes. 

Here is the awesome news!!  Once you get to 30 minutes your body has to use the fat reserves (belly fat) since all the glucose is burnt up in your system (the energy on hand).  Start out at least 3 x a week!  3 x a week for strength training as well is important to since you will burn more calories even at rest since it takes more work for your body to carry muscle then fat.  Plus you will lose inches with strength training since muscle takes less room!  To get quick results around the waist, look up side planks.  Work up to holding for 45 60 seconds each side combined with side crunches!!! These work the obliques which will pull in your waist. 

Quoting momlovestorun:

Crunches don't really help you lose belly fat. They can tone your muscles under belly fat but the way to burn fat is cardio.

I would focus on cardio and core workouts to get stronger. Even start lifting weights....... I'd start with something like this:

http://www.creedalene.com/five-day-calisthenics-workout/#five-day-calisthenics-workout

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)