Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Dieting help!!

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 1:02 PM
  • 7 Replies

So last year I lost 65 pound on phenteramine (which is the devil BTW)! I have gained almost all of it back :(

I have decided its time to do it the hard way this time.. I am going to  the gym 4Xs a week, drinking water and taking a vitamin...

Where I seem to be getting into all the trouble is that I am hungry ALL THE TIME!! I have tried to eat filling/ healthy things but its like this huge pull to eat everything!

This moring I have had:

smoothie, grapes, cereal, and penut butter toast- in 3 hours! and I am still starving and trying not to eat... because I dont need it!!

any help?

by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jenny_1012
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 2:05 PM

When I think I feel hungry, I try and drink a crap ton of water first.  Usually I am just thirsty and not hungry like I thought. 

Hadadat
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Eating small meals every 3 hours might help. Up your protein too. That helps you stay fuller longer because it takes longer to digest.

frietfight007
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I'm in the exact same position. I lost 40lbs from January-May. I moved to Europe and now I have gained it all back. 

I have the same problem of feeling hungry all the time. If it's meal time, I find foods where I allow myself to eat as much as I want. For instance: salad, sweet potatoes, big bowl of roasted brussel sprouts, spicey cabbage, or a big bowl of strawberries. If I'm still really hungry, I make a power snack: a handfull of almonds, 1 tsp of coconut oil, a couple chopped dates, and some cinnamon (sometimes I mix in blueberries, bananas, or strawberries). The coconut oil is a huge help. It's the best oil for you, and it will actually improve the function of your metabolism while giving you an sense of being satisfied. It's magical! I make this and keep it in a little jar which I put in my purse. It really helped me when I was dieting to not get crazy. 

cjhallmom
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Try to eat a balanced diet. Have more protein than carbs and sugars (even in fruit) since they don't last longer and you will be hungry very soon. Raw nuts with some Greek yogurt help a lot! as snacks... almond or cashew butter..dink unsweetened teas...Write down what you eat and how you feel after couple hours, it wil help you identify the best food for you and avoiding a lot of snacking! Calories are Calories =) Good luck!! Remember, one pound at the time..the more you stress about it, the longer will take you to lose the weight..

Rota
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Ladies, I am going to introduce you to a hormone called leptin. It is probably the main reason we struggle with weight issues. This hormone is made in our fat cells and is what tells us when to be hungry. It is a very powerful hormone that has been "found' about 10 years ago and most physicians don't know anything about it.

Without going into the science of how it works, understand this: your cells need to relearn to "listen" to leptin signals. Just like a diabetic needs to learn about leptin and insulin signaling.

Here is how you retrain your brain and leptin signaling issues.

5 rules.

Eat a high protein breakfast.

Eat only 2 or three meals a day and space them out. DO NOT eat snacks. That is one of the reasons we have leptin signaling problems is because we are eating all the time.

Eat lots of good fats at every meal. Most people aren't getting enough of the good fats to stay satisfied from one meal to the next. Make sure you space your meals so that there is at least 4-5 hours between meals, No meals close to bedtime.

Drink water and definitely limit ( or eliminate) the high sugar stuff like cereal, bread, rice, pasta. lots of fruit. Some fruit is OK. So here is the skinny of bread, pasta, rice ( our favorites). Think of the 50/50 rule when you eat these things. For a serving size of pasta, whatever it is( 1/2 cup, 1/2 bowl etc) have an equal amount of protein.  Eat lots of veggies- preferably fresh, but frozen is OK. No corn ( it's not a veggie- it's a grain).

Let me know if you want more details. Calories are not calories. For example: you get the same amount of calories from a piece of fruit as you do from bread or pasta. However, the fruit sugar is metabolized very differently than the bread. This is why high fructose ( fruit sugar) is the major player in our expanding waist lines.

TimetoMomUp
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 4:42 PM

From to food you described, you are eating a lot of carbohydrates which will mess with your blood sugar and cause more hunger.  Try to even out your carbohydrate servings during the day (like 20 for bfast, 20 for snack, 20 for lunch, 20 for snack, 20 for dinner, 20 for snack) and stick to veggies and healthy fats like avocado for a snack.  Include more protein at meal times to keep you fuller longer and to help you build muscle while you workout.  

Quoting s.mom4real:

So last year I lost 65 pound on phenteramine (which is the devil BTW)! I have gained almost all of it back :(

I have decided its time to do it the hard way this time.. I am going to  the gym 4Xs a week, drinking water and taking a vitamin...

Where I seem to be getting into all the trouble is that I am hungry ALL THE TIME!! I have tried to eat filling/ healthy things but its like this huge pull to eat everything!

This moring I have had:

smoothie, grapes, cereal, and penut butter toast- in 3 hours! and I am still starving and trying not to eat... because I dont need it!!

any help?

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 18, 2013 at 7:28 AM

This.

Quoting Rota:

Ladies, I am going to introduce you to a hormone called leptin. It is probably the main reason we struggle with weight issues. This hormone is made in our fat cells and is what tells us when to be hungry. It is a very powerful hormone that has been "found' about 10 years ago and most physicians don't know anything about it.

Without going into the science of how it works, understand this: your cells need to relearn to "listen" to leptin signals. Just like a diabetic needs to learn about leptin and insulin signaling.

Here is how you retrain your brain and leptin signaling issues.

5 rules.

Eat a high protein breakfast.

Eat only 2 or three meals a day and space them out. DO NOT eat snacks. That is one of the reasons we have leptin signaling problems is because we are eating all the time.

Eat lots of good fats at every meal. Most people aren't getting enough of the good fats to stay satisfied from one meal to the next. Make sure you space your meals so that there is at least 4-5 hours between meals, No meals close to bedtime.

Drink water and definitely limit ( or eliminate) the high sugar stuff like cereal, bread, rice, pasta. lots of fruit. Some fruit is OK. So here is the skinny of bread, pasta, rice ( our favorites). Think of the 50/50 rule when you eat these things. For a serving size of pasta, whatever it is( 1/2 cup, 1/2 bowl etc) have an equal amount of protein.  Eat lots of veggies- preferably fresh, but frozen is OK. No corn ( it's not a veggie- it's a grain).

Let me know if you want more details. Calories are not calories. For example: you get the same amount of calories from a piece of fruit as you do from bread or pasta. However, the fruit sugar is metabolized very differently than the bread. This is why high fructose ( fruit sugar) is the major player in our expanding waist lines.

Rhonda

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN