Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Postpartum Exercising!

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 4:27 PM
  • 29 Replies
When did you start to work out after you gave birth? I am 9 months pregnant. She is due on Oct 25...so close! And I am so excited to start working out and running. How soon did you start losing the weight after giving birth? And how did you do it?
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a vaginal birth with my son and I was going for walks a week after and at six weeks I was fully back at the gym. It still took me about three years to drop the weight I gained though
eyes_on_jesus
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 4:34 PM
I am hoping to get into a running pattern in the mornings, but don't know when to start!
lovebugs_mom906
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 4:44 PM
2 moms liked this

I would talk with your doctor, and just play it by ear. With my second baby, I was back to walking withing 10 days, and being more active as time went on. I had a miscarriage at 19 weeks in August. You would think with a tiny baby, and not being as far along, I would heal faster, but it took me a month before I could even walk without increasing my bleeding significantly. Listen to your body, and don't rush back into it. 

BeachbodyMom77
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 4:59 PM

You can start with light exercise 6 weeks after - if it is a natural birth.  Baby weight is hard to get off and it is tough to find the time.  For 2 years, I have been doing home workout DVDs and they have been the only way for me!  I am now coaching groups of people that are having the same struggles. It is awesome!

KSK0811
by Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I had c-sec's both times, so I waited the recommended 6 weeks. Honestly, with my second c-sec it took longer to feel comfortable enough to work out. Just listen to your body and take it slow. Especially with your abs. Abs can split toward the end of pregnancy and getting started too early with your work-out regimen or your work-outs being too intense can worsen the split.

momlovestorun
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I started walking right away. After I got the clear from my dr I slowly started adding in jogging and running when I felt up to it. Listen to your body.
cj123573
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is 9 weeks, I started walking about 3 or 4 weeks pp (vaginal deliv, no complications, etc).  Not trying to "lose" just get back into working out.  I started the C25k plan right after I got my 6 weeks clearance from the doc.  I've not yet weighed myself (except when the doc weighed me 6 weeks pp), I don't want to stress about numbers, I've got a 4 y/o and a newbie, enough stress as is :) 

I'm at the gym 5-6 times a week, 3x for the c25k and the others are just walking outside with my daughter while my son plays at the childwatch. 

mrsary
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 5:11 PM
After csection started eliptical and weights at 10 days PP. With my vaginal deliveries waited about the same. Am 15 days PP with babies number 4 and 5 and down 5 lbs since starting. Its easier when you start earlier.
Jsexton5
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Normally you wait until your doctor clears you after you see him/her for your postpartum visit. But it all is about how you physically feel. I did abdominal tightening a week or two after i gave birth. ( not sit ups or anything like that just "tightening" to help strengthen and encourage my muscles) And other things like that like doing arm excersizes with a water bottle, and trying to get a little walking in to strengthen my legs back etc. The bare minimum until i got my bill of health from my doctor. But like I said it's up to how you feel afterward. I couldn't walk for close to 3 weeks after i had my first. And after I gave birth to my 2nd child I was up and walking within an hour of giving birth.  But you'll want to look up muscle strengthening for mothers so that you dont do the wrong excersizes and end up damaging muscles instead of repairing them.

eevers55
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:33 AM

It's really up to you. Assuming you have a pretty standard birth (no complications or anything) then right away. The day I got out of the hospital, we bundled up our daughter and went for a walk. It wasn't very long or far, because you also have to take into account the newborn schedule and your exhaustion.
But really, as soon as you're ready, go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)