Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Some thoughts on binge eating recovery...

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:46 PM
  • 7 Replies
I have been doing some thinking about my eating disorder recovery recently. I realize that about 10-15 lbs ago I was kind of afraid to go any farther. During the time when I had gained through those lbs...I had binge eaten a lot to burry a lot of feelings. I was afraid to lose any more because I knew it would be bringing those feelings up with eeach lb that came off.
I finally just decided to push forward and keep moving. It has honestly been hard. It is almost like I dug a hole and pushed some feelings in and covered it with food/body fat..and it is way deep inside me. Every time I binged I stuffed more feelings in that whole and covered it with more food/body fat. so on and so forth until I reached the point that enough was enough and I had to work my way back down.
This hasn't just been a weight loss journey for me. It has been learning who I really am and how to deal with all of these feelings. Both negative and positive.
I feel that with ever lb that comes off I am unearthing another old feeling that was buried so long ago. It is like finding a treasure or trinket you kept in a box from so long ago. It instantly brings back the memories and the pain. I have had to mentally pick up each one of those trinkets with each lb that has come off. I have had to learn to embrace these feelings.. look at them head on and deal with them.
It has not been easy..but accomplishing a great feat rarely is.
I am not the same person I was 70 lbs. ago..or 50, or 20 or even 5. I am stripping these lbs and these feelings off, dealing with them and casting them aside.
They are not coming back! I am becoming the person I am meant to be.

My journey is not complete, and for all I know I may never be finished. However, with every lb I lose I am also gaining emotional and physically strength and health!
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
CV3
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Im really glad I read this. Thanks for posting this.
tiredmomfor2
by ~Lyndsay~ on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:29 PM
I am so glad you got something from it. That is why I put it out there. To help others. :)

Quoting CV3:

Im really glad I read this. Thanks for posting this.

crwspringer
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Do you mind if I ask how you got started with your road to recovery. I am currently deLing with binge eating and just don't know where to start.
I do exercise but there is a bigger issue at hand that must be worked through, I'm just trying to figure out the right step to take.
tiredmomfor2
by ~Lyndsay~ on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:56 PM
My journey actually started with a book..It is called 'Breaking Free From Compulsive Eating' by Geneen Roth.
It was very eye opening for me. It started my journey for me..and I have slowly found my triggers and build on from there. Once you figure out what triggers the binge..you can build on how to overcome and resist it. It is like building up a muscle..the more you flex it the stronger you become.

It helps to start out by being completely honest with yourself. Track you calories on MFP or another app or source. Even if you binge. Track it. It helps to keep yourself honest. A big part of over coming binge eating is being flat out honest with yourself and other people. Write it down, tell someone about it..admit it and move forward.
((hugs)) you can do this.

Quoting crwspringer:Do you mind if I ask how you got started with your road to recovery. I am currently deLing with binge eating and just don't know where to start.
I do exercise but there is a bigger issue at hand that must be worked through, I'm just trying to figure out the right step to take.
crwspringer
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks. I'll have to see if my library has it.

Congratulations on your journey.

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

My journey actually started with a book..It is called 'Breaking Free From Compulsive Eating' by Geneen Roth.

It was very eye opening for me. It started my journey for me..and I have slowly found my triggers and build on from there. Once you figure out what triggers the binge..you can build on how to overcome and resist it. It is like building up a muscle..the more you flex it the stronger you become.

It helps to start out by being completely honest with yourself. Track you calories on MFP or another app or source. Even if you binge. Track it. It helps to keep yourself honest. A big part of over coming binge eating is being flat out honest with yourself and other people. Write it down, tell someone about it..admit it and move forward.

((hugs)) you can do this.

Quoting crwspringer:Do you mind if I ask how you got started with your road to recovery. I am currently deLing with binge eating and just don't know where to start.

SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I have the same issue. The need and want to lose weight is overpowered by the fear of confronting the truth. Taking it one day at a time. Congrats on getting this far in your journey!!

chattymom3
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Congrats!  Your an inspiration for me :) keep up the great work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)