Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

i want to lose weight..need help

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 7:18 PM
  • 34 Replies
1 mom liked this
Where do i start? Please help me ladies.
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 7:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BeachbodyMom77
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I would love to support you on your journey! Tell me about your goals!
monique76
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:33 PM
2 moms liked this
Beach body.com
tiredmom29
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Cut out ur sugar drinks, I use the flavor u can squeeze in no calories, up ur water uptake. If u want a snack do fruits an veggies low fat dip. Dont deny urself any food just watch ur portions, no snacking after dinner. U dont need as much meat as people think more veggies for dinner is good. And try to excercise at least a few times for thirty mins a week. Good luck

sheenabby09
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I really want to lose weight. Get healthy and feel good about myself. And look great for my husband even though he thinks I'm beautiful

Quoting BeachbodyMom77:

I would love to support you on your journey! Tell me about your goals!

sheenabby09
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Thank you i will do.

Quoting tiredmom29:

Cut out ur sugar drinks, I use the flavor u can squeeze in no calories, up ur water uptake. If u want a snack do fruits an veggies low fat dip. Dont deny urself any food just watch ur portions, no snacking after dinner. U dont need as much meat as people think more veggies for dinner is good. And try to excercise at least a few times for thirty mins a week. Good luck

mcginnisc
by Claire on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:38 AM
6 moms liked this

The first thing to do is to set a goal. Is your ultimate goal to be a certain size? Look a certain way? Be a certain weight? Once you set a goal, the rest will fall into place. 

Diet- What do you eat? Is there a way to improve? How much water do you drink? Do you eat a lot of processed items/junk foods? 

Concentrate on lean proteins, tons of produce, whole grains ( if you choose to eat them), and dairy if you choose. Eliminate as many processed items as you can. 

Some of us count calories, which is a very effective and efficient way to lose weight. You can do this easily using a website such as www.myfitnesspal.com. If you choose to do this, I would recommend having one of us calculate your BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate for you. We need your age, height, weight, the number of days per week you workout, and if you are breastfeeding. 

Water: The general guideline is to drink half of your weight in oz daily. 

Exercise: You need cardio, strength and flexibility training. 

Cardio- 4-5x per week for 45-60 minutes per session.

Strength training- 2-3x per week for 45-60 minutes per session.

Flexibility training-2-3x per week for 30-45 minutes per session. 

All 3 are equally important. By implementing strength training, you will begin to build muscle ( it takes about 12 weeks to build 2-4 lbs of lean muscle mass), which will enable your body to burn more calories at rest and while doing other workouts. Flexibility training is very important as we lose flexibility as we age. 

The most important part is to find something that you enjoy and it will be easier to continue. Some of us are runners, some do DVDs at home, some take classes at the gym..you have to find what works for you. 

There are many DVDs available that range from $10-$250 depending on the program, you can also get them on Netflix, Hulu, the library, On Demand and on youtube. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:42 AM
2 moms liked this

This!

Set a goal first and go from there.  You can even write it down or tell people this way you are held accountable to it.

Then work on your diet.  About 85% of losing weight is about what you eat, so start making those changes in your diet. Get rid of processed foods and sugary drinks and opt for water.  Concentrate on lean proteins, produce, whole grains and fruit.  The key is to eliminate as much processed food as you can.  Also watch your portions and spread out your eating throughout the day - try to do 3 meals with 2 snacks. 

Start incorporating exercise into your routine.  Find a workout that you enjoy and will keep you motivated.  If you need help, let me know and I'd be glad to help you out because there are a ton out there! 

You're taking the first step by resolving to lose weight and get healthier!

Quoting mcginnisc:

The first thing to do is to set a goal. Is your ultimate goal to be a certain size? Look a certain way? Be a certain weight? Once you set a goal, the rest will fall into place. 

Diet- What do you eat? Is there a way to improve? How much water do you drink? Do you eat a lot of processed items/junk foods? 

Concentrate on lean proteins, tons of produce, whole grains ( if you choose to eat them), and dairy if you choose. Eliminate as many processed items as you can. 

Some of us count calories, which is a very effective and efficient way to lose weight. You can do this easily using a website such as www.myfitnesspal.com. If you choose to do this, I would recommend having one of us calculate your BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate for you. We need your age, height, weight, the number of days per week you workout, and if you are breastfeeding. 

All 3 are equally important. By implementing strength training, you will begin to build muscle ( it takes about 12 weeks to build 2-4 lbs of lean muscle mass), which will enable your body to burn more calories at rest and while doing other workouts. Flexibility training is very important as we lose flexibility as we age. 

The most important part is to find something that you enjoy and it will be easier to continue. Some of us are runners, some do DVDs at home, some take classes at the gym..you have to find what works for you. 

There are many DVDs available that range from $10-$250 depending on the program, you can also get them on Netflix, Hulu, the library, On Demand and on youtube. 

craftybookworm
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

All she's saying is what I'm doing and it is working.  It's slow going but sooooo worth it.

Myfitnesspal app is the best for tracking calories and your exercise!

If you don't have alot of DVD's at home.  And need workout ideas that are free go to www.youtube.com

Look up  BeFit and Fitness Blender.  Both these "channels" have excellent workout videos for all skill levels and tastes. 

Would love to help you on your journey as well!

Quoting mcginnisc:

Emma~~happy halloween

ShawnaMaeC
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Id need to know more about your body and goal. How much do you weigh? How much do you want to lose? Are you looking into toning or just wanting to lose a bit of pounds? Whats your diet like? Do you have normal periods? Birth controls? (Reason I ask is because some birth controls can keep you from losing weight.) How much do you do in a day, what do you do in a day? :] If you don't want to answer some of these that's fine its up to you, but the more I know the more i can help. I lost 50 pounds in a month and am pretty good at helping others with there bodies to slim down fast.

Sewsofun
by Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:56 AM

It sounds like you got some great advice already.  I have gotten the same advice, done well and then failed over and over again.  Now that I have started to listen to hypnosis recordings at night for motivation, exercise and weight loss it has just been easier to make the right choices and cut out sugary foods.  If after this advice you find yourself struggling to make the right choices I suggest you look into it. Some sources for this "approach" are the gabriel method, Steve G Jones, listen and lose weight.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN