Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

So Frustrated With Weight Loss Progress....

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:40 AM
  • 9 Replies

So I started dieting 2 weeks ago and have already hit bumps in the wall. The 1st week I gained weight instead of losing it. My DH pointed out my flaws and so now I have to try and change things. Here are the things he says I am doing wrong: 1. Not eating meals at proper times. I am not a morning or afternoon eater. I usually wait until dinner time to eat but than it seems like I want to snack all night. 2. I stress eat some days instead of eating any meals. I do not know how to change this (PLZ don't say have no stress in ur life). 3. Drinking way too much soda. This has to be my hardest one. I have tried quitting cold turkey, but got real sick and was told at the er that my caffeine intake is way too high to just quit. They said I need to slowly reduce my intake until I am able to stop. So as you can see, I have a lot to change, but I just am not sure how to yet. Does anyone have any advice for me?

by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
healthymom46
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:50 AM
2 moms liked this

I would suggest you start slowly reducing sugar and gluten intake. They are two ingredients that get addictive & when we eat it; makes us hungrier. The reason being is they are SOOOO over processed. Try "juicing" or "smoothies" instead of soda. Drink lots of water. "Drew Canole" has excellent advice on juicing and losing weight. He also has a FB page called "juicing vegetables". Other than that...your best bet is to be prepared & organized. 

P.S. a few good documentary movies to watch are Food Matters, Fat, sick and nearly dead, Sweet Misery (a poisoned world)...the more knowledge you gain; the easier your choices will be.

ripemango
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:54 AM

your husband doesn't really know, btw.

myfitnesspal.com = log your food and KNOW how many calories you are putting into your body.

eat whenever you want as long as you are in a caloric deficit. could always switch to non-cal sodas or tea. They even sell caffeine pills, which you could just take with water and taper the dose if you want to get off caffeine.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 26, 2013 at 6:11 AM

These ladies have some great advice...hugs and good luck!  Keep going and be patient!

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:09 AM
5 moms liked this

Ok first thing is first.... Diets do not work.... You cannot diet forever unless you want to keep yo yoing. You have to see your eating as part of your lifestyle and healthy living. Even with this being said we all have our treat/cheat/off days/meals. It happens because we are human. You can't be so restrictive or it won't work.

Next point about your husbands oberservations: You are snacking all night because you didn't feed your body throughout the day.  You want our body to use the nuritents of the foods you eat at optimal level. You can't run your body on empty (aka working, workout out, running around doing your daily life). If you are moving you need to give your body some type of fuel to function at its best. If you eat six small meals a day every two to three hours you will be fueling consistently versus starving it and then compensating for it later.

Point two: Stress eating, snacking and pver eating can be avoided through meal prepping. If all your meals are prepped beforehand you know what you can and can't eat. You also need to find a better coping skill for stress. When I was in college I ran when I was stressed or angry. Literally if I was stressing over a paper or a personal issue I would go for a run... Even if it was 2 in the morning. Instead of eating when stressed... Maybe an actitivity like lifting, writing, yoga, running, walking, talking to a friend, at home spa day... Etc.

Thirdly: The soda thing... That you need to taper off slowly. I was addicted to soda. So I would figure how many sodas was typically drinking and then limit... Saying ok this week I am doing one less a day. Then eventually got to the point where I say ok no soda at home only when I go out (if you don't have it in the house it is less of a burden because you don't have easy access to it)... Then eventually I didn't need or want it.

Instead of giving your body water you are giving it soda. You figure your body is mostly made of water.  Which If you ever feel bloated it usually is a sign that you haven't drank enough water or have a high soduim intake. When you drink enough water as your body needs and cut out the soda you will notice how much more leaner you feel... When I hit my water intake which is half my body weight (I'm 170 so I drink at least 85 oz... I usually do 95 to 100oz of water) I can see my body doesn't look as bloated.

You want to make little changes daily towards your goals... Alot of people including myself can get caught up in the all or nothing right now mind set. You didn't gain the weight over night and not will it go away that fast. It is a process... But if you stick with it even if you have an off day that is what counts. Oh and even the best athletes have a cheat meal for the week built into their meal plans.

Good luck and congrats on starting your fitness journey.

3kidz123
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:20 AM
2 moms liked this

Get rid of the soda and get caffine from black coffee or tea. You don't NEED to drink soda to ween off caffine (sorry my spelling is bad right now, but I'm typing one handed so it's as good as it's going to be at the moment. lol).

Eat more often and smaller amounts because it really helps if you eat 5 small healthy meals/snacks more if your nursing and hungry. I'm nursing and some days eat 6 or 7 times but I try to keep it healthy! Add more fruits and veggies, and find time to workout!

BeachbodyMom77
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this
There is some awesome advice here! Breakfast is way more important than you think!! Finding fun exercise is also a key thing - plus motivation from a group! That's how I do it!
Rota
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 5:20 PM
2 moms liked this

There are  some good points made in the previous posts. As a wellness nurse, I am going to add my two cents.

1. Think life style change rather than "diet". We must all eat correctly and if we do we never need to think about "diets".

2. Load your plate with vegetables. Then add a little protein and then very little grain. Limit your intake of bread, pasta,white rice, potatoes of any kind and of course cookies, cakes, pastries. Do not use packaged "foods" because they are not real food but chemicals made to taste like food.

3. Eat protein for breakfast- no cereals.

4. No soda- diet or regular. You must taper off and get rid of it forever.

5. Add plenty of good fats. We have been programmed to think of fats as bad, but we need the good fats for our cells to function. When you eat enough of the good fats, you are not hungry. The good fats are butter, avacado oil and fruit, olive oil, olives, coconut oil, nuts ( not peanuts) and nut oils and butters.

6. Sugar is a highly addictive food- especially high fructose corn syrup. Consumption of sugars in all its forms causes massive inflammation in your body and is the cause of heart disease, strokes, even other chronic diseases like cancers and ALzheimers.

7. You must exercise. If you are over 30 years old, strength training is super important.

Feel free to ask questions if you are unsure of something.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:01 AM

These ladies have some great advice mama...hugs and good luck!

saylooth
by New Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Sodas contain lots of sugar. Sugar makes you fat. Try green tea, which is a great antioxidant and has caffeine or a cup of coffee with Splenda and a splash of non fat cream. If you get cravings, rice cakes help a lot. Too them with peanut butter or cottage cheese with a spirinkle of seasoning. Don't eat within 3 hours of going to bed and if you do, have an apple. Try working out first thing in the am on an empty stomach. Burns many more calories. Buy individually packed chicken breasts and frozen individually packed fish fillets. You shouldn't eat more than one. Drink lots if water and pair your protein with raw or sautéed vegetables. Alternate carb days, for example carbs one day no carbs the next, etc. good luck!

Quoting ProudMeof2:

So I started dieting 2 weeks ago and have already hit bumps in the wall. The 1st week I gained weight instead of losing it. My DH pointed out my flaws and so now I have to try and change things. Here are the things he says I am doing wrong: 1. Not eating meals at proper times. I am not a morning or afternoon eater. I usually wait until dinner time to eat but than it seems like I want to snack all night. 2. I stress eat some days instead of eating any meals. I do not know how to change this (PLZ don't say have no stress in ur life). 3. Drinking way too much soda. This has to be my hardest one. I have tried quitting cold turkey, but got real sick and was told at the er that my caffeine intake is way too high to just quit. They said I need to slowly reduce my intake until I am able to stop. So as you can see, I have a lot to change, but I just am not sure how to yet. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)