Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Any swimmers?

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 6:50 PM
  • 12 Replies
So I've been running over a year and have completed a few 5Ks. Unfortunately, I've been battling brusitis in my hips, lower back, and knees since May. After several doctors visits, PT, pain meds, and finally cortisone shots, my rheumatologist suggested I try a sport that's a little easier on my joints. I know there are a lot of runners here, but are there any swimmers here? Where do I start? I've been swimming for fun since I've been a kid, but never for exercise.
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Bump... I have used pools to rehab a knee.. I would kind of do running in the pool and swim a few laps. Use the boards to work on my kicks... It wasn't my main form of exercise though.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 27, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Good luck mama!  I'm not a swimmer:(

livndaybyday
by Alicia on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Bump
flowrsgalore
I feel like I'm sorta losing it, being a bitch. motivation where are you?
Today at 4:23 PM
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Bumping your post b/c I'm curious too. I used to run but that has gotten to be to hard on my poor old hip.  So I'm just swimming & it's getting a little easier, but I know I'm terribly slow. Curious if other have ideas on how to improve.

mybratsmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:22 PM
I would swim laps. I know a few years ago I did mile competitions (you just swim laps and the gym tracks - if you met the monthly goal you got a free shirt/movie tickets, etc). You could do a lap for every stroke you know and continue to work on your strokes. You could also use a kick board to just work your legs. Maybe look into water aerobics, too?? I don't know much about that, unfortunately.
jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 7:39 AM
I would swim laps. Set a different challenge each time. Also water aerobics is a blast !!
almburr
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 7:42 AM
I'm a summer swimmer. Start off with easy laps. Then kick up to a sprint then back to easy. Drills are the best.
Mi_Chelly
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:35 PM

I am wanting to get into this myself. We just moved to Vegas and hope the base has an indoor pool that would be useful for all year swimming... Our housing has a pool, but it is just a small fun pool, no lap lanes or anything. 

othermom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Not me

LilMexi
by New Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I've been swimming since I was a kid and have always loved it! Although it hasn't been the same for me since I've been breast feeding : (. Now I'm no Olympic swimmer but it is a great low impact sport. I would start off slow with which ever stroke you are best at. For most people it is freestyle or some form of breast stroke. You could start off doing one lap at a time (there and back is one lap) and resting 10-15 seconds in between (or more if you need to). You could change up strokes on every other lap or just do what you are most comfortable with. Always remember to warm up and cool down as with any kind of exercise. You could kick with a kick board or use a pull buoy. Anyways, as you get more comfortable you an increase your yardage or decrease your rest time, or try a more challenging stroke. 10 laps is 1000 yards or meters (depending on the pool) and 1650 yards is a mile which is 33 laps. You can customize work outs to your needs and level, but I'm just trying to give you some ideas. There are some websites that can help with workouts based on level of skill, just google it. But the first swim is always the hardest so just stick with it. It will get easier and just as a Disclaimer, having good endurance doesn't always make you a good swimmer... Good luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)