Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Weight lifters

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:44 AM
  • 12 Replies

I've never been into the body builder look but of all the workouts I've tried since having my baby lifting weights is my fave! I love bench pressing and free weights...pretty much anything that involves lifting heavy stuff. lol

My question is what do you do when you LOVE something but your husband doesn't? My husband hates the body builder look on women and I don't look like that yet but I'm starting to get the toned and muscular arm look so I'm sure if I keep getting more and more in to weight lifting it will eventually be a problem. My goal right now is to be able to bench press 50 pounds but I'm no where near that goal yet. 

Would you give up something you loved if your husband started to diss like how you look from doing it?

by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BuckshotBaby
by New Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:54 AM
4 moms liked this
just bc you lift doesnt mean youll look like a body builder...i mass lift and do not look like that.
3kidz123
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:59 AM

That's true but I have one of those personalitys where if I get into something I really get into it! lol

I have no clue what I'll look like, it was just a question I've been thinking about. :)

Quoting BuckshotBaby:

just bc you lift doesnt mean youll look like a body builder...i mass lift and do not look like that.

BuckshotBaby
by New Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this
it actually depends on your body type. (ectomorph, mesomorph, or endomorph) i am an ectomorph which is why i lift heavy weight with few reps 3 days a week. if you arent lifting for your body type, its not going to benefit you.

Quoting 3kidz123:

That's true but I have one of those personalitys where if I get into something I really get into it! lol

I have no clue what I'll look like, it was just a question I've been thinking about. :)

Quoting BuckshotBaby:

mcginnisc
by Claire on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:47 PM
3 moms liked this

It is very difficult for women to look like a bodybuilder. The women that do it professionally have to take enhancements to do so 99% of the time. You also have to eat very, very, very cleanly- no junk-ever and you have to increase your protein considerably to be able to build that much muscle. 

It takes 12 weeks to build 2-4 lbs of muscle and since women have less lean muscle mass naturally, it takes us much longer to build an adequate amount to achieve that look. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

3kidz123
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I'm a meseomorph...I build muscle easily, my arms are already looking pretty good and I haven't been lifting long. That's why I think my husband and I could end up not on the same page at some point.

Quoting BuckshotBaby:

it actually depends on your body type. (ectomorph, mesomorph, or endomorph) i am an ectomorph which is why i lift heavy weight with few reps 3 days a week. if you arent lifting for your body type, its not going to benefit you.

Quoting 3kidz123:

Quoting BuckshotBaby:

3kidz123
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

ok body builder may have been the wrong word...my husband doesn't like the muscular look on woman. Anything past toned is too much for him...if I start looking like I could beat him up we may have a problem. lol

Quoting mcginnisc:

It is very difficult for women to look like a bodybuilder. The women that do it professionally have to take enhancements to do so 99% of the time. You also have to eat very, very, very cleanly- no junk-ever and you have to increase your protein considerably to be able to build that much muscle. 

It takes 12 weeks to build 2-4 lbs of muscle and since women have less lean muscle mass naturally, it takes us much longer to build an adequate amount to achieve that look. 

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Oct. 29, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I wouldn't... But my husband is super supportive of the gym... He knows my goal is to lean out and gain muscle. He knows my goals and reasons behind them... He is now back at the gym himself.

crabbyD
by Diana on Oct. 29, 2013 at 3:38 PM
3 moms liked this

Nope... I'd keep doing it.  Especially since you really don't know your phisycal outcome yet.  Happy wife... Happy life!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 29, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Claire has the right advice.

Quoting mcginnisc:

CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I did give up a "strong woman" type contest because my husband didn't want me to do it.  It upset me greatly when he told me, but I realized that it was more important to US that I didn't do it.  He expressed that he hated the look on women and didn't find it attractive.  If he didn't find it attractive on them, he wouldn't find it attractive on me.  It's important to me that I am attractive to him.

You need to discuss it more with him to find out how important it is to him that you don't do it. Make sure you understand his side of things before you make a decision.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN