Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Women Are Actually Happier in a Size Much Bigger Than 6

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 3:06 PM
  • 18 Replies

Women Are Actually Happier in a Size Much Bigger Than 6

by Maressa Brown

woman looking at jeansYet more research is telling women what size we're all probably most comfortable and happiest wearing. This time around, it's a size 16 U.K. aka size 14 U.S. According to the questionable study of 2,000 women was commissioned by So Fabulous for Littlewoods.com -- a U.K. plus-sized brand, so already we know findings are not exactly unbiased -- 74 percent of women who wear a size 14 are happy at that size, versus only 42 percent of women who wear a size 4 U.S. or size 6 U.K. Suuuure.

While I'm psyched for these U.K. size 16 women who are so happy and "comfortable" at that size, I don't buy for a moment that this is reflective of how most women everywhere feel. Because not all women's bodies are at their best at one particular size! Whoa, wake-up call!

I've been both a size 16 and size 6 in my 30 years. At a 16, I felt out of control, unhealthy, depressed that I couldn't find clothes that looked flattering or I felt comfortable in. I also felt like I was lightyears away from what my body should've looked like. That was more than a decade ago. Since learning how to eat right and committing to regular exercise, I'm closer to being the most comfortable in my skin I've ever been. And for me, that comfort level comes in at around a size 6.

At the same time, of course there are women out there who are happiest and healthiest at a 16! Size is NEVER reflective of how healthy you are! And it's also completely unique.

All you have to do is look at MyBodyGallery.com, which shows what real women look like at various heights, weights, and sizes, to see that we all wear clothes differently. We're all comfortable and feel good about ourselves at different sizes. We should always be striving to find our own personal healthiest, happy place. The idea of that there's such a thing as a one size fits all for that is ludicrous.

How much stock do you put in your size?

What size were you when you were the 'happiest'?

by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Karine561
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 3:10 PM
I'm happy with a size 2. I've never been bigger than size 6 and didn't like it. I'm also 5'1 and all my weight goes to my thighs and butt so I have to keep my weight to a good level I don't have a lot of room for extra.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 29, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I totally agree with the article. 

I'm happiest because I'm healthiest in a size 8, and I'm not that skinny. 

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Last time I lost weight I was a 10-12 and thought it was perfect for me

this time I'm almost to that again, but it doesn't feel as great as it did the first time (sadly- the first time, it didn't last very long).  *maybe* an 8  but not going for anything smaller than that

*I'm 5 ft 8 

twnkedee
by Tia on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:38 AM

Well, there are some points that I agree with, however being only 5'3'' and a size 12 I am not looking nor feeling my best! I am much happier and healthier when I am a size 6 or below.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 30, 2013 at 6:39 AM

Great article!

atlmom2
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:27 AM
I would never be happy in a 16. Why promote obesity? Anyway I am short so a 6 or 8 is healthy for me. 10 I am overweight.
Most size 16 will not be healthy at some point if they stay that way long term unless they are over 6 feet tall.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crwspringer
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:31 AM
The smallest that I have ever been was a 10 and I was pretty happy, but I could have lost about 15 more.
Now I'm a 16 and miserable.
craftybookworm
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

First of all, I've NEVER been a size 6.

Second of all, I don't place much stock in a "size"  I am happy if I feel healthy and like what I see in the mirror.  Happy is being comfortable in your own skin IMO

ymom3
by Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:44 AM
I would love to be in a size 10 or 8. I'm in a 14 now and am far from happy.
campingmomof4
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I am in a size 4.  I am thrilled to death to be in that size.  I plan on staying that size. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)