Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Just did some sugar math

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:58 PM
  • 4 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm just going to ramble here a bit. Thinking about how much sugar we are really getting.  I always knew there was a reason those sugar treats I see the kids being handed left & right bugged me.  I kind of felt like we need to limit sugar but by how much I wasn't sure.  So anyways one tsp of sugar equals 4 grams of sugar.  This article recommends women get no more than 6 tsp a day.  Well my husband likes regular yoplait yogurt.  It contains 26 gm of sugar so that equals 6.5 tsp of sugar. So that would be it, one little yogurt & you'd have to be done w/ sugar for the day, and you'd actually be over the recommended amount. It seems so daunting, sugar is everywhere.  That is a little less than a 1/4 cup of sugar in that yogurt.  Holy c@#& I give this to my daughter! Not a full container all at once, but still it was an eye opener.  It seems so ridiculous that I wonder if I got something wrong.

Here's a link to the WSJ article http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304682504579157951188800872

by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
momlovestorun
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes! It is everywhere!

I really don't pay much attention anymore because I try and stick to whole foods. Yes there is sugar but I don't drink soda or juice, we don't eat candy on a regular basis and *I* stay away from pasta and other not so good carbs normally. 

I try to keep an eye on what the kids are taking in though. Some days by the end of the night they wiill even say I'm not even asking for a treat because I've had enough sugar today. LOL That always cracks me up!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Yes, sugar is found in a lot more foods than you'd think!

We, too, try to stick to whole foods.  I also encourage more veggies and low-glycemic fruits along with naturally sugar-free foods such as hard-boiled eggs or cheese for snacks.

I truly believe in sugar addiction.  Ask anyone that's tried to eliminate sugar from their diet (except for sugar found naturally in foods) and they'll tell you it's HARD.

stephwest1
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Wow! That is really eye-opening. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Thanks for sharing!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN