Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

BMR calculation.. is it right?

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 9:36 AM
  • 8 Replies
ok so every time I calculate my BMR I struggle with this question, "is it right?"
the reason for my struggle is that I work a VERY physical job most days and wonder if "my body is used to it" or if I actually need to be eating the extra calories.
I haven't been exercising, but I want to! lol anyway.,
I'm 28, about 163 lbs I think (scale needs batteries), and 5'
my calculator says 1320-1345.. it seems super low, I'm used to tracking for about 1600.. I do want to lose fast but I don't want to go into starvation mode and gain..
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
morgan483
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

It's more WHAT you are eating. Keep your body energized with the right foods - lean proteins, veggies, fruit, etc. Stay away from unnecessary sugars and carbs. Drink a lot of water...maybe you're not actually hungry, just thirsty. Your height and weight is definitely not in the healthy/normal range, but you can certainly change that. And exercise is important...don't depend solely on your job's function to help you there...and extra effort needs to be made if you want to lose weight. Good luck to you!

MamaNeeNee
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:28 PM
not to come across as rude, but I'm already aware of everything you've said... I've already lost 40+ lbs.. and I'm asking "is it right" on the scientific aspect. am I calculating correctly? even tho I am basically saying that I do little or no exercise.. which is true (for the moment) out side of work.. I would hate to be calculating incorrectly and not be eating enough calories to lose..

Quoting morgan483:

It's more WHAT you are eating. Keep your body energized with the right foods - lean proteins, veggies, fruit, etc. Stay away from unnecessary sugars and carbs. Drink a lot of water...maybe you're not actually hungry, just thirsty. Your height and weight is definitely not in the healthy/normal range, but you can certainly change that. And exercise is important...don't depend solely on your job's function to help you there...and extra effort needs to be made if you want to lose weight. Good luck to you!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 5, 2013 at 6:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I calculated your BMR at 1514.  Sounds like to me you aren't eating enough if you're eating below that.  Since you are on your feet all day long and doing physical work, I would focus on eating closer to 1600-1700 calories/day if I were you.  See how that works and if you aren't losing after 2 weeks, then you can re-evaluate.  Good luck mama!

mcginnisc
by Claire on Nov. 5, 2013 at 6:21 AM
1 mom liked this

BMR: 1514

Maintenance while sedentary: 1514*1.2=1816 ( it is not recommended to cut calories as it will put you below your BMR)

Maintenance while working out 1-3 days per week: 1514*1.375=2081

To lose 1 lb per week: 2081-500=1581

Your ideal calorie range would be 1514-1581 calories per day to lose 1 lb per week. 

If you are working a physically active job, but not working out, this is the formula I would use. 

Maintenance while working out 3-5 days per week: 1514*1.55=2346

To lose 1 lb per week: 2346-500=1846

Your ideal calorie range while working out 3-5 days per week is 1514-1846 calories per day to lose 1 lb per week. 

If you are working a physically demanding job as well as working out 30-60 minutes at least 3-5x per week, I would use this formula. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

MamaNeeNee
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this
thanks a bunch! much appreciated :)

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I calculated your BMR at 1514.  Sounds like to me you aren't eating enough if you're eating below that.  Since you are on your feet all day long and doing physical work, I would focus on eating closer to 1600-1700 calories/day if I were you.  See how that works and if you aren't losing after 2 weeks, then you can re-evaluate.  Good luck mama!

MamaNeeNee
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:32 PM
perfect! thank you sooo much!!

Quoting mcginnisc:

Maintenance while sedentary: 1514*1.2=1816 ( it is not recommended to cut calories as it will put you below your BMR)

Your ideal calorie range would be 1514-1581 calories per day to lose 1 lb per week. 

If you are working a physically active job, but not working out, this is the formula I would use. 

Your ideal calorie range while working out 3-5 days per week is 1514-1846 calories per day to lose 1 lb per week. 

If you are working a physically demanding job as well as working out 30-60 minutes at least 3-5x per week, I would use this formula. 

morgan483
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:35 AM
Sorry if you we're offended by my answer. Your question was not clear. But yes, based on your info, 1300-1400 calories to lose weight sounds right. You can add in a little more on days you add in exercise, but not much.

Quoting MamaNeeNee:

not to come across as rude, but I'm already aware of everything you've said... I've already lost 40+ lbs.. and I'm asking "is it right" on the scientific aspect. am I calculating correctly? even tho I am basically saying that I do little or no exercise.. which is true (for the moment) out side of work.. I would hate to be calculating incorrectly and not be eating enough calories to lose..

Quoting morgan483:

MamaNeeNee
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 1:57 PM
ok.. soo evidently I'm lighter than what I thought lol 151.9.. I calculated 1440.. what do you think?

Quoting MamaNeeNee:

perfect! thank you sooo much!!

Quoting mcginnisc:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)