Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

lost and don't know what to do anymore

last October i started working on loosing weight. i did good for a while. i lost 35 pounds total in the last year. but i have not lost any weight in nine months. i have continuted to workout the whole time i even added more and diffrent exersises and nothing. i drink only water and between 3-6 bottles of it a day. fresh fruit or yogurt for breakfast. lunch i have a wrap or roasted chicken salad. dinner lean beef tacos, wrap, unwhich, soup, or baked chicken. and i have veggies such as corn, green beans, carrots, and some times a sweet poatatoe with dinner. for an afternoon snack fresh fruit or raw veggie. and if i get hungry after dinner i have a frozen greek yogurt bar or a fiber one snack. what am i doing wrong? why am i not loosing any more no matter how hard i try?

Sarah      10-16-06                                     Luciano 11-27-08

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Replies (41-50):
a06z08mama
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:35 PM

You arent calculating right. You need to refigure. And eat the 1400-1700 or whatever it is that someone else has suggested. When I was a custodian in a hospital and burning more. I couldnt figure out why I wasnt losing any. Until I started fueling my body every couple hours with lil things. And then I was able to lose.

Try the refigured calculations. You may be surprised. Especially since you have been at those other numbers and havent seen results in 9 months. Its time to change it up a bit.

slapdashmom
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:06 PM

60oz is not enough.

Quoting ambermario4ever:

The bottles I drink are 20oz each so that is 60 and as I said most days I drink more than that. 

Quoting katiebug840204:

No 3 bottles isn't enough. You are suppose to drink at minimum 1/2 your body weight in ounces. You should be drinking no less than 75 ounces a day. 3 bottles is only a little over 50 ounces a day.

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Yes three bottles is enough I have checked and most day i do drink more than that. I am eating between 1200-1500 a day. Exercise bike daily and arms and legs three days a week. 

Quoting slapdashmom:

3 bottles a day isnt even close to being enough water. Are you sure you're eating enough? What do your workouts look like?

SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the BMR calculation. You are basically starving yourself and your body is in starvation mode because of the amount of calories you eat and then the amount of exercise you are doing. If you are eating 1500 cals a day and burning 800 cals through working out you are only eating 400 cals per day.Either up your caloric intake or lower your workout cals.

Also, no offense but you seem either set on proving everyone wrong or you are just set in your ways and don't want to hear any different. Either way you either use the advice given and see if it works or you ignore all info and continue on your way and not lose weight.

BeachbodyMom77
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:56 PM
I just think you need more protein and a total workout change up! What are you doing?
ambermario4ever
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I get plenty of protein. I am doing vi shakes. For workout I am doing bike and arms  and legs.

Quoting BeachbodyMom77:

I just think you need more protein and a total workout change up! What are you doing?

Sarah      10-16-06                                     Luciano 11-27-08

KikiKia
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:00 AM
2 moms liked this

"You have to have a deficit to loose weight which means negative"

Then why are you here asking for help?

Everyone is offering you advice and you are basically telling them what you are doing is "right".

Has it been working?  No.  Please be open to everyone's suggestions if you truly want the help.

If not keep doing what you are doing then and not ask for any input then get dismissive when people actually offer you sound advice.

Quoting ambermario4ever:

You have to have a deficit to loose weight which means negative. 

Quoting VeggieRunnerMom:

I think you are missing that if you workout and burn calories it is like you AREN'T eating. So yes you are eating 1500 BUT once you burn it you technically haven't "eaten it" anymore.

You need to NET your BMR.

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Most days I eat close to 1500. And I have only lost 35 so far. Someone else that posted on here lost the 90.

Quoting audmom1218:

Ok yes you definitely are under eating.

Your BMR is what you burn in a coma just keeping your body alive. That should be your "never ever eat below" number. Yours is 1476.

Now your estimated total daily expenditure is an estimate of how many calories you burn in addition to keeping your body alive. This is where your activity comes in. For moderate exercise 3-5 days a week, multiply your BMR by 1.55. Very active (hard exercise 6-7 days a week) multiply by 1.75.

Depending in how you perceive your workouts you can use either calculation but since I personally overestimate how hard I'm exercising I'll use the lower number.

1476*1.55 =2287. So your defecit would come from taking 500 from your estimated daily expenditure.

Your calorie range should be 1476-1787. Try a few weeks at a higher goal And play with that number to find your sweet spot. Your body needs to fuel itself and eating below that 1476 will not help you with permanent weight loss.

I hope this helps! And congrats on the 90lb lost! That's huge!!

Quoting ambermario4ever:

i am 26, 5 2 and 150 pounds i workout everyday. no my youngest is four.

Quoting audmom1218:

That sounds too low. I never lose at that range. What's your age, height, weight and how often are you working out? Are you nursing?

What always happens to me when I would go below 1500 cal/day is I my body would slow down my metabolism then I couldn't fight the cravings snymore and splurge for a day that didn't seem like much but totally sabotaged my progress.

I figured out my bmr through fat2fitradio.com (and listened to their podcasts for motivation). I found out my bmr was closer to 1600 calories and my activity level my calorie goal was closer to 2000 calories per day. My goal is now 1800-2000 cal/day. I've lost 40lbs. Move more and eat ENOUGH is my mantra now! I hate it when ppl just say "eat less". Know how much your body needs to function and give it those calories. But also make sure those calories are real food and not processed junk!

Quoting ambermario4ever:

i have been told it is between 1200-1300. but i am 5 2 i weigh 150, i am 26 and i work out seven days a week. i am eating between 1200-1500 calories a day and burn 800 calories a day which would put me at the 500 defict a day that you need to loose weight.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

It's highly possible you aren't eating enough food.  Do you know your BMR?  If not, we can help.  I just need your height, weight, age, and number of days you workout each week.  Sounds like you're eating all the right foods.  

Laurmom
by New Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Try vegan or vegetarian. Can't hurt to try something different. Ever hear about freelee the banana girl on YouTube. 30 bananas a day.com skinny fit people eating fruit and veggies
BeachbodyMom77
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I would definitely mix up the program. You need to push yourself - you should push yourself harder 6 days a week and have a rest day. If you do the same workouts ten your body gets too used to them.

Quoting ambermario4ever:

I get plenty of protein. I am doing vi shakes. For workout I am doing bike and arms  and legs.

Quoting BeachbodyMom77:

slapdashmom
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:16 AM
3 moms liked this

How long do you bike for?

Eating 1500 a day is NOT ENOUGH if you are ACTUALLY burning 800 calories. However, at 150 pounds I'm not sure that you're really burning 800 calories... it's possible but depends on how long you're biking for and what the resistance is at. I'm not an expert by any means but it seems that you're not eating enough - yet you're ARGUING with anyone that suggests that. WHY are you asking for help if you don't want to listen to it?

Quoting ambermario4ever:

I eat between 1200-1500 a day my bmr is between 1200-1300. My bike tells me how much I burned. I do 800 on it five days a week and 500 the other two days. And the. Arms and legs three days a week. 

Quoting slapdashmom:

If you're here to find out why you aren't losing the weight, you have to be open to suggestions.

If you're only eating 1200 calories a day, and THEN burning 800 while working out, you're feeding your body 400 calories a day. That isn't even taking into account your BMR and all that, that's just basic math that anyone can understand. Calculating your BMR and getting a deficit based on that would be better because then you'd know how many calories to eat but I'm pretty sure 1200, when doing 800 calorie workouts each day, is too little.

How do you track your workouts - like how do you know it's 800 calories burned? Because I weigh about 80 pounds more than you do, and I have to work out for 75 minutes(ish) to burn 800 calories.

Quoting ambermario4ever:

i have lost no weight at all in nine months. and it is not low since you are supposed to have a 500 deficit. 1200-1300 is how many calories i burn if i dont workout. i am eating 12001500 a day and burn 800 with exerises which puts me at the 500 deficit you have to be at a day to loose weight.

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

have you actually lost NO weight at all in that time, or you have, but only a little?

12-1300 seems low-if you are working out

slapdashmom
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Quoting Laurmom:

Try vegan or vegetarian. Can't hurt to try something different. Ever hear about freelee the banana girl on YouTube. 30 bananas a day.com skinny fit people eating fruit and veggies

I would recommend lower carb before vegetarian, but vegan would be the best out of the three as long as you do it right and don't go to carbs when replacing meat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN