Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

When you plank...?

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:19 PM
  • 17 Replies

Hi ladies,

When you plank do you prefer to hold an extended arm plank (like the top of push-up position) or do you prefer to hold a forearm plank? Which is easier for you?

Forearm planks are soooo difficult for me. I'm lucky if I can hold that for 15-20seconds. However, I can hold the extended plank for much longer. If the forearm planks are difficult for me does that indicate I need to focus on improving my core strength or arm/shoulder strength? Or both? I'm wondering what type of weight lifting moves will help me improve.

Thanks for your advice!

by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momlovestorun
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I do both. I think the forearms ones are more difficult too. Not sure why.................. I can hold them both for about the same amount of time though. 

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I think forearm is harder... I think because it focuses me on the core rather than arms if that makes sense.

morgan483
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Just keep practicing and adding time on. It will get easier for you eventually. Then you can move on to one-armed planks! :) The extended arm is a modified form of the forearm and meant to be a little easier for beginners. Any balance exercise with your core will help strengthen it. Try stability ball exercises or search "core" exercises online. 

ballerina18
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 12:40 PM

That does make sense.

I think it is the opposite for me. When I am in an extended plank I feel my core working hardest and when I am in the forearm plank it is killer for my upper arms & shoulders.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

I think forearm is harder... I think because it focuses me on the core rather than arms if that makes sense.

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I think forearm ones are harder- but I can't hold any of them very long. I HATE them! haha

KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Forearm ones are easier for me when I do it with extended arms my shoulders hurt.
Hadadat
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Depends on what kind of floor I'm on. Hard floors, I use an extended arm pose. But on carpet I can use my forearms.

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Nov. 8, 2013 at 2:46 PM
I do a lot of shoulders and arms... My upper body and legs get most of my attention... I need to step my core work... So planks here I come lol

Quoting ballerina18:

That does make sense.

I think it is the opposite for me. When I am in an extended plank I feel my core working hardest and when I am in the forearm plank it is killer for my upper arms & shoulders.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

HelloKitty86
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Forearm ones I can do for 1:10 but I have never tried the other ones.
ballerina18
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Wow! Impressive.

Months ago I asked my yoga teacher which plank position was most challenging and she told me the forearm planks are the most challenging. My yoga teacher also teaches a body building class for college students and she says all of her body-building students choose the forearm position when planking.

I bet you could easily do the extended plank for 2 minutes. I can do the extended one for about 1 minute and the forearm one for like..15-20 seconds. lol

Quoting HelloKitty86:

Forearm ones I can do for 1:10 but I have never tried the other ones.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN