Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

1 Important Reason Every Pregnant Woman Should Be Hitting the Gym

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:52 PM
  • 3 Replies

1 Important Reason Every Pregnant Woman Should Be Hitting the Gym

by Mary Fischer

pregnant yoga

Have you been working out a lot during your pregnancy? Or are you one of those people who kind of figures your baby bump is a great excuse to put your feet up for a change and indulge in some extra rest and relaxation? If you're the latter, you might want to get up off the couch after hearing that exercising during pregnancy may help your baby's brain.

A new study conducted at the Université de Montréal found that a newborn's brainpower is boosted if his mother worked out for 20 minutes three times a week during her pregnancy.

Huh. Interesting. Maybe I should've gotten off my butt a little bit more while I was expecting my son. (Not that he's not a smart cookie. He totally is.)

I tried to work out during my pregnancy. I really did. I walked when I could and did a couple prenatal yoga videos, but somewhere around my sixth or seventh month, I kind of gave up because I was so uncomfortable.

And I have to be honest -- the only reason I was working out in the first place was purely selfish, like it is for most expectant moms. Go ahead and admit it. You're exercising with your big old baby bump with one or all of three things in mind. Either a) you think it will help make labor and delivery easier, b) you figure it will keep you from gaining too much weight, or c) you think working out now will make it easier to shed the pregnancy pounds after junior arrives.

But had I known that keeping up with my workouts a few times a week could potentially be good for my baby's brain? I probably would've made it a point to stick with it even when I didn't feel like it.

The next time you find yourself trying to come up with a decent excuse (like you're pregnant) to skip exercise, remember that you're not the only one who's reaping the benefits of breaking a sweat. Anything we can do to help get our babies off to the best possible start in life is worth a little extra energy, right?

How often have you been working out during your pregnancy?

How often did you work out when you were pregnant?

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mcginnisc
by Claire on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I did not workout while pregnant.. I was on complete bed rest from 6 weeks to 34 weeks...I watched a lot of tv, surfed CM, read a ton of books, and did a lot of crossword puzzles.

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I worked out a little during the beginning of my pregnancy but stopped after about 15 weeks.  I wish I hadn't stopped though.

cjhallmom
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I am 8 weeks pregnant and still doing my workouts! my doctor said to keep doing what my body is used to... being pregnant is not an excuse to quit exercising, unless you have complications and they recommend rest.. otherwise, let's keep moving!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)