Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Depression and weight loss..

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 10:24 AM
  • 8 Replies

Gurr. I've tried to diet and exercise in the past. I can never seem to stick with it! I definitely have an addiction to unhealthy food, complicated by the fact that I can't eat anything too "hard" because I have bad teeth. Add to that, I'm so extreme with food! As in--if I'm somewhat stressed, I binge. If I'm overly stressed and something horrible happened--I don't eat. At.all. I've gotten better in way of sweets anyways--I've cut that down. Otherwise, I'm getting nowhere--plus the budget. Our budget for food sucks..and I end up making things with a lot of carbs because I need to feed my family of 4 on roughly 60-70 dollars a week.

Moving on, the exercise. I've tried doing things in my apartment--but it's not that big of a place..at all. I have extreme social anxiety--so going outside for walks or a gym is extremely difficult for me. However I'm working on that one. I deal with depression, so a lot of times I don't have the energy at all. I'm about to tackle this head on--again--though.

Okay, so there's some of my story. Does anyone know of any exercise programs that work great in a small place? I was looking into at least getting an eliptical in my apartment (lol not like I know anything about them!), anyone know much about those? I wish I could get a treadmill in my place..seriously..I'd LOVE one. But those are too big. I did read a tip online that while watching TV--every commercial do an excercise until the show comes back on--then repeat the next commercial. That sounded interesting.

Also, does anyone have ideas on cheap, healthy meals and snacks that aren't "too hard"..like I couldn't eat carrot sticks as a snack to much on because they're too rough on my teeth.

Sorry if this was too long. Thanks in advance! I have so much to work on between mentally AND physically :P.

Whenever life gets tough I just remember this..

The Water Temple.

by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Mwasham
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I am sorry to hear that you are so unhappy. But I hope you know that there are solutions and things that can make you happier. The workout program I do is T25. It is only 25mins of workout videos!! It is great especially for moms who are busy. I am done 8lbs already. I hate gyms and this is the only thing that has made me excited about working out. But the best part of the program is you can join groups on facebook of other people doing the program and everyone is there to cheer and motivate you. It has honestly been the best thing that has happen to me. 

For easy an healthy meals buy som spaghetti squash. It is so easy to cook and I just put a little red sauce on it and it taste like we are eating paste and it is so filling. 

But if you need and support or someone to help please feel free to email me!!!!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 16, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Hugs mama!  If I were you, the first thing I'd do is make a list of the reasons you want to get healthy.  Keep that list with you during the day to remind yourself of it.  Find other things to do when you are stressed and emotional, things other than eating.  I would focus more on what is causing your food addiction to unhealthy things and go from there.  You can't out exercise a poor diet.  So, I'd start with your diet.  It needs to be full of fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean protein, and lots of water!

Hugs and good luck!

Angelicembrace
by Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you! I think the depression feeds the weight, and the weight feeds the depression. Awful cycle! I'll look into that program thanks so much! Also--thanks for the spag. and squash, I'll definitely make some!

Quoting Mwasham:

I am sorry to hear that you are so unhappy. But I hope you know that there are solutions and things that can make you happier. The workout program I do is T25. It is only 25mins of workout videos!! It is great especially for moms who are busy. I am done 8lbs already. I hate gyms and this is the only thing that has made me excited about working out. But the best part of the program is you can join groups on facebook of other people doing the program and everyone is there to cheer and motivate you. It has honestly been the best thing that has happen to me. 

For easy an healthy meals buy som spaghetti squash. It is so easy to cook and I just put a little red sauce on it and it taste like we are eating paste and it is so filling. 

The Water Temple.

Angelicembrace
by Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Thank you! I know a lot of things that make me stressed, and there was an incident a few weeks ago withmy DF that has impacted us. Nothing horrific, just something that will take me time to get through. Either way, I'm definitely trying to find things to help. I have a hard time eating breakfast so I started by telling myself no coffee unless I eat a small bowl of cereal first.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Hugs mama!  If I were you, the first thing I'd do is make a list of the reasons you want to get healthy.  Keep that list with you during the day to remind yourself of it.  Find other things to do when you are stressed and emotional, things other than eating.  I would focus more on what is causing your food addiction to unhealthy things and go from there.  You can't out exercise a poor diet.  So, I'd start with your diet.  It needs to be full of fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean protein, and lots of water!

Hugs and good luck!

The Water Temple.

tiredmomfor2
by ~Lyndsay~ on Nov. 17, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Depression can be very hard to deal with when trying to lose weight. But it can be done. :)
Make sure you are eating enough. Try to resist the binging. (I am a recovering binge eater, I understand your pain) get some sunshine, take care of yourself mentally and physically. Take your vitamins and drink water.
My house is not very big either and we have crappy weather in the winter..so I use walkingDVD's. I love them. My daughter does them with me. They are super easy to follow along with and don't take very long. You can get them virtually anywhere (wWalmart/target/amazing/eBay) or even free on YouTube. I prefer to buy mine because my internet connection can be dumb some days.
As for the budget. I understand. You do what you have to do. Just count your calories and try to eat as much health food as you can. .
The healthier yout become and the better you take care of yourself..the better you will feel. ((Hugs))
BeachbodyMom77
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:23 AM
I agree! Home workouts are great and you don't need a gym membership! :) Spaghetti squash is one of my favs! Cabbage is inexpensive. I wedge it and wrap each wedge in foil with a little olive oil and spices and put in the oven for about an hour. So good! :) I also like to buy chicken breasts in bulk- they are huge these days.. I split each one in half and portion enough for a family meal in freezer gallon ziplocks with a liquid marinade. The day before, I just grab one out to defrost and throw it on the grill! :)

Quoting Mwasham:

BeachbodyMom77
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:25 AM
What is your fitness level? I did Hip Hop Abs a few months ago and it is a fun DVD to start with! It is daily inexpensive as well! Let me know if you want me to tell you more about it!
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 17, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I'd go for some peanut butter toast or something with protein in it for breakfast...coffee is not optional in my house!  LOL!

Quoting Angelicembrace:

Thank you! I know a lot of things that make me stressed, and there was an incident a few weeks ago withmy DF that has impacted us. Nothing horrific, just something that will take me time to get through. Either way, I'm definitely trying to find things to help. I have a hard time eating breakfast so I started by telling myself no coffee unless I eat a small bowl of cereal first.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Hugs and good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)