Get Fit Challenge Day 2: Upper Body Strength Training
Welcome to Day 2 of our Get Fit Challenge!
Today we are going to focus on your upper body and strength training.
Strength training exercises consist of using free weights, weight machines, or doing body weight exercises. These exercises build strength and endurance in the muscles and joints.
The benefits of strength training are:
- Develop strong bones by increasing bone density and reducing the risk of osteoporosis.
- Control your weight. As you build lean muscle, it burns fat and calories more efficiently — which can result in weight loss.
- Reduce your risk of injury. Building muscle helps protect your joints from injury.
- Boost your stamina. As you get stronger, you won't fatigue as easily.
- Manage chronic conditions. Strength training can reduce the signs and symptoms of many chronic conditions, including arthritis, back pain, depression, diabetes, obesity and osteoporosis.
When you plan your workout schedule make sure that you set aside time to workout your upper body, which includes your back and shoulders, chest and arms and your abdominals.
Here is an upper body video you can use:
Here are a few strengh training workout tips:
- If you want to tone your body, increase your repetitions by using lighter weights.
You can increase the weights slowly.
- If you want to build muscle, increase your weights.
- You can work out different sections of your body more than once a week.
Just remember to rest between days for proper muscle recovery.
Today's challenge is to create an upper body workout or incorporate one into your routine.
Does your upper body need work? What are your upper body 'problem' areas?
If you already do an upper body workout, what does it consist of and how often do you do it?
One member who signs up for our Get Fit Challenge and replies to all 5 of the daily activities will be chosen at random to WIN a $25 gift card!
Click here to sign up:
Join us for our Get Fit Challenge and WIN a $25 Gift Card!