Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Get Fit Challenge Day 2: Upper Body Strength Training

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:44 AM
  • 59 Replies
1 mom liked this

Welcome to Day 2 of our Get Fit Challenge!
Today we are going to focus on your upper body and strength training.

Strength training exercises consist of using free weights, weight machines, or doing body weight exercises. These exercises build strength and endurance in the muscles and joints.  

The benefits of strength training are:

• Develop strong bones by increasing bone density and reducing the risk of osteoporosis.
  • Control your weight. As you build lean muscle, it burns fat and calories more efficiently — which can result in weight loss.
  • Reduce your risk of injury. Building muscle helps protect your joints from injury.
  • Boost your stamina. As you get stronger, you won't fatigue as easily.
  • Manage chronic conditions. Strength training can reduce the signs and symptoms of many chronic conditions, including arthritis, back pain, depression, diabetes, obesity and osteoporosis.

When you plan your workout schedule make sure that you set aside time to workout your upper body, which includes your back and shoulders, chest and arms and your abdominals.

Here is an upper body video you can use:

Here are a few strengh training workout tips:

• If you want to tone your body, increase your repetitions by using lighter weights. You can increase the weights slowly.
  • If you want to build muscle, increase your weights.
  • You can work out different sections of your body more than once a week. Just remember to rest between days for proper muscle recovery.

Today's challenge is to create an upper body workout or incorporate one into your routine.
Does your upper body need work? What are your upper body 'problem' areas?
If you already do an upper body workout, what does it consist of and how often do you do it?

treadmillOne member who signs up for our Get Fit Challenge and replies to all 5 of the daily activities will be chosen at random to WIN a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up:
Join us for our Get Fit Challenge and WIN a $25 Gift Card!

Join us in the Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Group

by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I have NO upper body strength. I have powerful toned legs, but I also have Olive Oyl spaghetti arms, it's just the way I'm built. Increasing my upper body strength and building arm muscle is my #1 goal at the moment. It's tough though, those muscles seem to fatigue way faster than others. I will try the routine in the video posted, thank you. 

KamsOne
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I do pushups every day.....or try to....when I remember.

AspensMama1537
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:11 AM
I need to work on my upper body. I used to have more strength, but lost it when pregnant. When I went back to work I switch positions and haven't been able to gain back the muscle I used to have.
SexyAngelBaby
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I have started weight lifitng again and doing push-ups to build up my uppperbody strengh.. During this time I do the weight lifting everyother day and the push-ups I try to do every day...

RoyalT26
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Im in! I will be doing two sets of  lunges and my shake weight! :) 

batjmom
by Sarah on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:37 AM
My husband bought me a weight machine with cables. I absoluty love it. I feel like I'm doing all the exercises right. Before that I defiantly didn't get enough strength training in. So I do back,and triceps one day, legs the next and chest and shoulders the third day. Then keep those going every 3 days. With stomach 5 days week since that's my problem area
Roomfor1more
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM
I'm looking for a whole home gym. But I get a work out lifting my little man lol
eevers55
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I have always neglected my upper body. My arms are like jelly. I have started planks and pushups to rememdy that. Especially because I want to get pregnant and a baby takes a LOT of upper body strength

JoyJoy
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:54 AM
I need to work on that.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:57 AM

My upper body needs a lot of work!! I used to do yoga on a regular basis and things like plank and handstands did wonders but I just don't have it in me now that I'm running.  As much as I need it, I can't find yet another hr in the day to do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN