Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Paleo- worth it?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:23 PM
  • 12 Replies

What is this Paleo diet thing? 

"Diets" arent my thing so the name alone makes me want to avoid it but EVERYONE is always talking about it. I googled it but every site I found was for e-books, or books in general to buy for the recipes. 

Same question for this gluten free craze. Some sites say gluten is only "bad" if you have certain illnesses. other people/sites claim its bad for you no matter what...

by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 20, 2013 at 6:15 AM

Welcome to the group!  You'll find several ladies in this group who know a lot about Paleo...it's just a way of eating per say...not a true diet.  You'll also find ladies who eat this way to do it for physical health and well being and not to lose weight.  In a nut shell, it's eating meat, veggies, and fruits...no grains, no processed foods, no sugar.  I could be wrong on some of that, but Rhonda is our group expert on Paleo...she'll see this and respond!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:00 AM

"Diet" by definition is a summary of what a person or animal eats.  Weight-loss plans have taken on the name "diet."  Don't be turned off by the word "diet."

Paleo eating is just what Darby said:  no grains, no processed foods, no refined sugar.  Why?  because at base level, those food types are harmful to our bodies.  Some claim that paleo eating is meant to mimic that of paleolithic humans, but you can take that for what it's worth.  It's actually a nutrient dense diet (way of eating) that gives our bodies the maximum amount of nutrients from foods without eating foods that cause damage.  Nutritionally speaking, veggies are the most nutrient dense foods calorie for calorie and they often have more fiber than any whole grains.  Thus, the diet emphasizes veggies.  Meats are the next most nutrient dense, and a variety of meats is encouraged...beef, pork, chicken, fish, wild game if you can get it.  Bacon is a mascot of paleo eating, it seems, but I really despise that label.  Most bacon is heavily processed and it's hard to find bacon that is naturally cured/smoked without preservatives.  After meats come fruits, nuts & nut products, and healthy fats such as coconut oil, olive oil, ghee, and butter if your body tolerates dairy. Spices and herbs are used to flavor foods along with sea salt.  The emphasis is on getting natural foods or foods as close to their natural state as possible.  Meat from grass-fed animals (natural) is preferred over yarded/caged animals that are fed unnatural diets.  Organic foods are preferrred, but again we want nutrient dense...if you can't afford organic, don't deny yourself nutrition -- go ahead and buy conventionally grown.

Eating the way we do is naturally lower in carbs (not necessarily calories) than most people are used to eating.  It's okay....the body is still getting the nutrition it needs.  There's a period of adjustment while the body detoxes from all the garbage that it's been fed, heals the damage done by lectins and phytates and gluten, and gets used to the new diet.

I've eaten this way for almost 3 years.  My health has improved dramatically, I have plenty of energy (and I'm no spring chicken), and I have no desire to go back to the Standard American Diet. 

I lost a finger in an accident this past weekend and a nurse changed the dressing for the first time last night.  She said it's amazing because the stub is healing more quickly than she's ever seen.  I believe my body was prepared for a severe injury (or illness) because of the nutrition I give it and it's pouring the nutrition into healing.

If you want more info about gluten and the damage it does, find the book "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis, or look up his website/blog.

tiredmomfor2
by ~Lyndsay~ on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:08 AM
Marks daily apple is a good site to check out.
I do not follow Paleo now, but I do watch my gluten and carbs.
JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:09 AM

I don't do gluten... I hired a coach and he just cut it all out of my diet. I see the difference and feel it when I eat gluten

Howardx5
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 11:43 AM

we cut out processed food along time ago. we try to stick to fresh real foods. but ive been told that even corn is a no no? whats wrong with corn? I grew up thinking it was healthy for us! 

Sorry to hear about your accident. sounds like that would hurt! 

Quoting michiganmom116:

"Diet" by definition is a summary of what a person or animal eats.  Weight-loss plans have taken on the name "diet."  Don't be turned off by the word "diet."

Paleo eating is just what Darby said:  no grains, no processed foods, no refined sugar.  Why?  because at base level, those food types are harmful to our bodies.  Some claim that paleo eating is meant to mimic that of paleolithic humans, but you can take that for what it's worth.  It's actually a nutrient dense diet (way of eating) that gives our bodies the maximum amount of nutrients from foods without eating foods that cause damage.  Nutritionally speaking, veggies are the most nutrient dense foods calorie for calorie and they often have more fiber than any whole grains.  Thus, the diet emphasizes veggies.  Meats are the next most nutrient dense, and a variety of meats is encouraged...beef, pork, chicken, fish, wild game if you can get it.  Bacon is a mascot of paleo eating, it seems, but I really despise that label.  Most bacon is heavily processed and it's hard to find bacon that is naturally cured/smoked without preservatives.  After meats come fruits, nuts & nut products, and healthy fats such as coconut oil, olive oil, ghee, and butter if your body tolerates dairy. Spices and herbs are used to flavor foods along with sea salt.  The emphasis is on getting natural foods or foods as close to their natural state as possible.  Meat from grass-fed animals (natural) is preferred over yarded/caged animals that are fed unnatural diets.  Organic foods are preferrred, but again we want nutrient dense...if you can't afford organic, don't deny yourself nutrition -- go ahead and buy conventionally grown.

Eating the way we do is naturally lower in carbs (not necessarily calories) than most people are used to eating.  It's okay....the body is still getting the nutrition it needs.  There's a period of adjustment while the body detoxes from all the garbage that it's been fed, heals the damage done by lectins and phytates and gluten, and gets used to the new diet.

I've eaten this way for almost 3 years.  My health has improved dramatically, I have plenty of energy (and I'm no spring chicken), and I have no desire to go back to the Standard American Diet. 

I lost a finger in an accident this past weekend and a nurse changed the dressing for the first time last night.  She said it's amazing because the stub is healing more quickly than she's ever seen.  I believe my body was prepared for a severe injury (or illness) because of the nutrition I give it and it's pouring the nutrition into healing.

If you want more info about gluten and the damage it does, find the book "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis, or look up his website/blog.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 20, 2013 at 11:54 AM

corn is a starchy grain....although sweet corn is green corn, so it's passable if you really want it.  it's not a nutrient dense food so it's usually not included.  I'll admit that we eat it maybe once every 6 weeks, but it's not something that digests well.  Even my horses don't digest all of the corn they eat. 

think, too....unless you're buying organic, most corn grown in the usa is gmo and heavily treated with chemicals.

I'd rather go through childbirth again  than go through the pain of losing a finger.  Even the pain meds aren't helping today.

Quoting Howardx5:

we cut out processed food along time ago. we try to stick to fresh real foods. but ive been told that even corn is a no no? whats wrong with corn? I grew up thinking it was healthy for us! 

Quoting michiganmom116:

Rhonda

Howardx5
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Is there a gluten free guide for dummies? I have no clue what i "should be" avoiding if we tried this. I dont really want to buy a book because im not sure its really for us. im just interested to see what youre allowed to eat. I know there are some foods my family wont be willing to give up.

Quoting michiganmom116:

corn is a starchy grain....although sweet corn is green corn, so it's passable if you really want it.  it's not a nutrient dense food so it's usually not included.  I'll admit that we eat it maybe once every 6 weeks, but it's not something that digests well.  Even my horses don't digest all of the corn they eat. 

think, too....unless you're buying organic, most corn grown in the usa is gmo and heavily treated with chemicals.

I'd rather go through childbirth again  than go through the pain of losing a finger.  Even the pain meds aren't helping today.

Quoting Howardx5:

Quoting michiganmom116:

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Quoting Howardx5:

Is there a gluten free guide for dummies? I have no clue what i "should be" avoiding if we tried this. I dont really want to buy a book because im not sure its really for us. im just interested to see what youre allowed to eat. I know there are some foods my family wont be willing to give up.

well, avoid anything made with wheat or other grains...no pasta, no bread, no cereal, no canned soups (most of them have wheat), etc.  There are other ways to enjoy goodies...use coconut or almond flour to bake.

elanaspantry.com has great gluten free recipes.  fastpaleo.com is a site full of paleo recipes.  there are many other sites.

Rhonda

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

It is worth it, it's absolutely worth it, but is is NOT a diet, and I hate it when anyone calls it such. It's a life-long commitment. 

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Wheat Belly is a fabulous book, btw. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)