Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Need help from you experienced ladies!

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 2:06 PM
  • 31 Replies

I'm about ready to throw my scale away. 

As of three weeks ago:

I go to the gym and use the machines 3 times a week. Day 1 I do legs and abs, Day 2 I do chest, shoulders,and abs and Day 3 I do biceps/triceps, back, and abs. 

5 days a week I walk/run on the treadmill for 40 minutes (about 2 1/2 miles in that amount of time and burning what the treadmill estimates to be 400 calories). 

I eat 1,500 calories a day.

I haven't lost any weight and I don't feel like I look any different! I know I must be getting stronger because I've been increasing my reps and how much I can lift and stuff but DANG it's frustrating to not see the numbers go down and not see any difference in the mirror.

I'm 133.4 lbs at 5'4" tall.  I'm a jeans size 6/7.  I want to be down around 122 lbs and a size 3/4.

Can anybody help me figure out what's going on?

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lynzmom
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Are you eating enough?? You should be eating every 2-3 hours and drinking a lot of water. Breakfast is very important along with snacks in between meals. My mom was eating a clean, healthy diet, but when I coached her to each more and along with our supplemens she lost 19lbs! You have to be continually eating so your metabolism stays high.

atlmom2
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Maybe a plateau since you are close to your goal. Also you may not be eating enough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EricaG87
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I usually do eat every 2-3 hours and drink quite a bit of water.  I felt like 1500 seemed like a good amount of calories to take in because I never feel like I'm hungry and can't eat, nor do I feel like I don't have enough calories left at the end of the day to have a good dinner and a snack afterward. How much would you say I should be eating instead?

Quoting Lynzmom:

Are you eating enough?? You should be eating every 2-3 hours and drinking a lot of water. Breakfast is very important along with snacks in between meals. My mom was eating a clean, healthy diet, but when I coached her to each more and along with our supplemens she lost 19lbs! You have to be continually eating so your metabolism stays high.

EricaG87
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 4:36 PM
I can't imagine it's a plateau since I just started dieting and exercising 3 weeks ago and haven't lost anything... I thought a plateau happened when you've been losing for awhile and then stop for a bit. I have been losing slowly but not from cutting calories or working out since probably about... 4 months ago at least. What do you think a good amount to eat would be?
Quoting atlmom2:

Maybe a plateau since you are close to your goal. Also you may not be eating enough.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 21, 2013 at 4:47 AM

To be honest, I don't think you're eating enough.  Do you know your BMR?  Where did you get the 1500 calorie number from?  I can help you with your BMR if you give me your age.  Also, I wouldn't go by machines to tell you how much you burn during workouts...they are usually wrong.  If you really want to know what you burn, get a heartrate monitor.  

EricaG87
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Thanks for the help with the BMR, I don't know what mine is. I am 26 years old. I don't really go by what the machines tell me as far as calories either, I just figured I would throw the info about how many miles it says and how many calories to give you guys an idea of what I do in that 40 minutes. Maybe I will look into a heart rate monitor though, thanks for the suggestion. I didn't really get the 1500 number from anywhere other than just that I know that's how many calories I ate each day w years ago after my daughter was born when I lost down to my goal weight of 122 lbs. I figured if that number did the trick then, that maybe it would now too.
Quoting darbyakeep45:

To be honest, I don't think you're eating enough.  Do you know your BMR?  Where did you get the 1500 calorie number from?  I can help you with your BMR if you give me your age.  Also, I wouldn't go by machines to tell you how much you burn during workouts...they are usually wrong.  If you really want to know what you burn, get a heartrate monitor.  

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 21, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Your BMR is 1412...this is the least amount of food you should be eating...it's what your body burns just by functioning every day.  

Working out 3-5 days/week, 1412 x 1.55 = 2188

2188 - 500 = 1688

To lose 1 pound per week, you need to eat between 1412-1688.  Since you are working out 5 days/week, I would eat towards the higher end of that range.  If I were you, I'd eat closer to 1600-1700 calories/day. 

Quoting EricaG87:

Thanks for the help with the BMR, I don't know what mine is. I am 26 years old. I don't really go by what the machines tell me as far as calories either, I just figured I would throw the info about how many miles it says and how many calories to give you guys an idea of what I do in that 40 minutes. Maybe I will look into a heart rate monitor though, thanks for the suggestion. I didn't really get the 1500 number from anywhere other than just that I know that's how many calories I ate each day w years ago after my daughter was born when I lost down to my goal weight of 122 lbs. I figured if that number did the trick then, that maybe it would now too.
Quoting darbyakeep45:

VeggieRunnerMom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

ARe you eating 1500 or NETTING 1500? Huge difference :)

EricaG87
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Thank you! I will try to eat 1600 a day and see how that goes. I'm just so scared that if I add calories I will gain weight instead of stay the same like I have been! 

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Your BMR is 1412...this is the least amount of food you should be eating...it's what your body burns just by functioning every day.  

Working out 3-5 days/week, 1412 x 1.55 = 2188

2188 - 500 = 1688

To lose 1 pound per week, you need to eat between 1412-1688.  Since you are working out 5 days/week, I would eat towards the higher end of that range.  If I were you, I'd eat closer to 1600-1700 calories/day. 

Quoting EricaG87:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

EricaG87
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:58 PM
I don't know what netting is lol... butI am eating 1500.
Quoting VeggieRunnerMom:

ARe you eating 1500 or NETTING 1500? Huge difference :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN