Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Get Fit Challenge Day 4: Abdominal Strength Training

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:20 AM
  • 45 Replies

Welcome to Day 4 of the Get Fit Challenge!

Our last part of strength training will focus solely on your abdominals.

When you think of abs, do you automatically think of a toned and sexier figure?
Your abs have a much more important function than just looking good.

Having strong abs benefits you in the following ways:

• Helps to improve your posture
  • Strengthens muscles
  • Reduces the chances of back injuries
  • Stimulates your intestines to regulate your digestive system
  • Ease menstrual cramping

Here are a few great tips to keep in mind when exercising your abdominals.

• Use Your Abs
    Tighten your abdominal muscles even when you are not doing abdominal exercises. Keeping your abs engaged not only strengthens your abdominal muscles, it retrains your spine to maintain proper posture. Keeping your abs engaged also lengthens your torso, which creates a leaner look.

• Do High Reps of Lower Weights
    The lower weights will still strengthen your muscles and have the added benefit of improving muscle endurance. (Do not use more than 10lbs.) The higher repetitions will prevent your muscles from becoming bulky, which can thicken your waist.

• Incorporate Movement
    Static exercises, such as crunches and planks, work the muscles through the same repetitive range of motion, which can lead to bulkier muscles. Change up your routine with exercises, such as belly dancing, Latin dance or Hula, that work the hips and torso through their full range of motion including swivels and rotations, pelvic tilts and isolations.

Here are a few videos to help you get started:

Do you incorporate an abdominal workout into your exercise routine?

How often do you work your abdominals?

Do you have a 'go to' ab routine or favorite ab targeting exercise?

treadmillOne member who signs up for our Get Fit Challenge and replies to all 5 of the daily activities will be chosen at random to WIN a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up:
Join us for our Get Fit Challenge and WIN a $25 Gift Card!

Join us in the Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Group

by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
srehman
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Whoo hoo! Going to the gym for a class called abs and arms!
eevers55
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Well my squats help my abs. So does my hula hooping, but after a plank challenge a few months ago, I now easily incorporate planks into my routine. Also yoga raelly strengthens my abs like nobody's business.

SexyAngelBaby
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I do sit-ups daily.. I have been doing squats which help.. I have also been incorporating leg lifts into my workout and going to start doing plank also

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I am the Wii hula hoop champ. Several years ago, when Wii first came out, we were at a family gathering and the kids were getting us old folks to try and laughing themselves silly watching us. Then they showed off their hula hoop skills, and I got up and beat the pants off of them. Just like riding a bike, you never forget. I loved to hula hoop when I was a kid. I never thought of doing this for abs.

Quoting eevers55:

Well my squats help my abs. So does my hula hooping, but after a plank challenge a few months ago, I now easily incorporate planks into my routine. Also yoga raelly strengthens my abs like nobody's business.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I go to the gym and use different abs machines.

JoyJoy
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM
I do sit ups
Roomfor1more
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:50 AM
I do crunches on my ball but limit the amount due to back problems.
sarah824
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I do absolutely no ab work. I hate situps or crunches. I should start doing something, but right now walking is about all I do.

Crashmonster1
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I do abs daily just your basic situps burpees planks however when I get in the gym I do weighted abs and try to do pyramids I have a pretty decent stomach so it must be working OH and abs are sooooo made in the kitchen :)

la_bella_vita
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I work on my abs daily. I'm doing an ab routine called the flat belly workout. I have noticed a huge difference in just a week. My pants are already looser.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)