Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Yoga of all kinds

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:06 AM
  • 6 Replies

What is the benefit of yoga? Do you actually lose weight or is it more of a toner?

by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
AtiFreeFalls
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Yoga is great exercise and can contribute to weight loss.  Its not the best cardio, but it is a great resistance exercise, and boosts metabolism.  Plus its great for relaxation and meditation.

Unless you practice types of yoga that include cardiovascular exercise (these types are very intense!) its best to not rely ONLY on yoga, but also on cardio. 

That said, I heart yoga, and that's my go-to exercise.  If I can't get in any other exercise that day it doesn't matter, because I can do a few poses at home and feel great :)

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

You could lose weight if you did it every day for 60+ minutes and took a very intense flow type class. 

I think one of the biggest benefits is body awareness.  You will start to notice things in your body you never noticed before.

Also, it's great for building strength and settling the mind.

kissmiss213
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:45 PM

by increasing your muscle mass you increase you BMR. also, yoga teaches you how to be more mindful, and how to not get so stressed out, and i know that i eat the worst when im horribly stressed out, so calming myself down before i inhale a bag of cookies is always a good idea :)

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM

it can make you stronger, and is good for you- but will it really burn many calories? nah

*unless you are doing like piyo or a fast paced type...even then, you should probably add some cardio to the work outs

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 10, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Good to know...I've never been a yoga person to be honest.

artandlearning
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 3:15 AM

Yes, it can really be a workout if you do it right.  A strong & flexible body, glowin skin, peaceful mind, good health -whatever you may be looking for, yoga has it on offer. It might help to lose some weight but i think it helps you be calm and more flexible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN