Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Holiday Get Fit/Stay Fit Challenge Day 1: Chart to Stay on Track!

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:33 AM
  • 71 Replies
1 mom liked this

Welcome to Day 1 of the Holiday Get Fit/Stay Fit Challenge!

The holidays are centered around food, family and friends. You will be tempted often with your favorite holiday dishes and drinks.
The best way to stay on track during the holidays is to chart what you are eating and drinking.

Maintaining a food journal will help to keep you on the right track.
You can find food journals at various sites online, as apps on smartphones or you can just write it down.

Do you track your daily meals?
What are your holiday food temptations?
How do you combat holiday food temptations?

Bonus: Stay Fit Activity - Winter weather has hit most of the US dropping snow and ice all over the country. One good way to get a workout in, is to go out and shovel snow/ice. You can burn anywhere from 200 to 350 calories an hour shoveling snow!

happy holidaysOne member who signs up for our Holiday Get Fit/Stay Fit Challenge and replies to all 5 of the daily posts will be chosen at random to WIN a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up:

Join Our Holiday Get Fit/Stay Fit Challenge and WIN a $25 Gift Card!

by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm a lifetime member of WW so I do track what I eat.  I sometimes fall off the wagon but most of the year I'm pretty good. 

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM

We raked leaves this weekend, the leaves were VERY wet.  It was a lot of work!!

ToriBabe1221
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM
I have a food journal that i use to track my eating habits.
I'm a sucker for all the good homecooking and baking. I bake myself, and always sneak more cookies than i care to admit ;)
I usually don't try to combat my temptations ... i indulge and cry when i weigh myself the next day...ha!
But I'm over feeling frumpy, so it's time to make changes
mama2b100808
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Yes I do track my meals. And when it is the holiday meals I eat smaller potions. I look at it and say is that good for me if not just eat small and work out the next day!

ToriBabe1221
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:19 AM
I'm lucky to live somewhere that it's not freezing, i usually walk daily but there is an algea bloom out right now that makes it hard for me to breathe... So i have fun on my wii fit to make up for it ;)
luvligrl323
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:23 AM
I will start writing down my meals and activity. I have apps on my phone but don't really use them. I've also just reinstated my membership at the Y. I live in Los Angeles so now snow here.lol. Going to pop in a work out DVD this morning.
la_bella_vita
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I do not track what I eat. I just try to make healthy choices and make sure I'm eating plenty of things packed with nutrition:Iron, calcium, low in sugar, etc

My only temptation is Christmas cookies, yum!

I combat by eating in moderation.

I shoveled snow last night until my husband realized what I was doing and told me he would finish (he was busy cleaning off the cars) but I was surprised by how rigorous it was.

lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:33 AM
I dont track my eating on paper but i do mentally keep track of what ive had. I try to do well during the day so i know where i can splurge for dinner or dessert. Lately sweets have been my downfall which isnt a usual thing for me so its a sneaky problem. I try to combat it by doing exercises daily and chasing the kids around outside.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jlinville30
by Jenna on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I try to track what I eat I use MyFitnessPal as well as have a FitBit One which I use everyday. Anything to do with holiday food is my weakness though I have tried to curb a lot of what I eat. But if I over eat I just workout that much harder the next day.

TinyDancer428
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM
I've used the MyFitnessPal app since 2011. I absolutely love it. It really helps me. Now that I'm done having babies I'm ready for this extra 25 pounds to come off.

I also have a FitBit Zip and I love it. My goal is to get 10,000 steps each day.

To combat holiday food I just log my food like I do everyday. I fit it into my calories. If I go over a little that's fine. I only have one Christmas dinner a year and I try not to beat myself up too much.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)